Baby Alfie Evans

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by morrow, Mar 6, 2018.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

Im sure most people in the UK have been following this family's plight!

Well today it ended, once again the courts decided someone should have life support removed!

My heart goes to those young parents, who have no say in their child's life, they can't even take him home..

What's your take on this? I think it's down to money!

Parents lose sick son's life support appeal

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

3. morrow

morrow Visitor

4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Such a sad situation.
    Without knowing all the medical facts it is difficult for me and anyone else to work it all out.

When a patient becomes ill, they are often intubated and put on intravenous fluids to prevent the onset of pneumonia and septicemia causing death while all avenues of treatment are explored. These patients are being protected from bacterial lung infections to give them the best chances of surviving any subsequent treatment for the condition.
    When a treatment is found to be impossible, removing the apparatus will not cause immediate death and this is the worst situation for any doctor to be in.

What I cannot understand is why the team from Rome who thought that they may be able to help were not on the first flight to the UK. It is not uncommon for this to happen, so I am somewhat puzzled.
    When Jane's sister became suddenly ill at the age of 9, the countries leading neurosurgeon flew from Belfast to her home in the Irish republic (not part of the UK) within 2 hours. Sadly she she had a massive malignant tumor covering more than half of the rear cortex of her brain. She died the following day, less than a week after she had been running around and climbing trees like any child of her age.

My biggest fear is that all this publicity could make doctors reluctant to use intubation and intravenous fluids to keep a child alive during the diagnostic stages of a condition, for a fear of situations like this happening again.

People who think that doctors and nurses are cold and uncaring should work in a children's hospital for a few weeks and see for themselves the mental trauma suffered by the staff when a child who has been under their care for a few weeks dies.
    A paramedic who I worked with had a child die in his arms. He suffered a serious mental breakdown and has never worked in the medical field again.

Life is so cruel at times.

Meliai and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  5. morrow

morrow Visitor

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think your heart is totally in the right place. The only thing I know about these types of situations is from what I've seen on ER or Grey's Anatomy. The way it goes on the shows is usually the doctor has to explain to someone why their loved one should be let off of the machines. It sounds so inhumane, but I think under certain circumstances it's the right thing to do. However, I think in the situation you're describing the parents don't want to let their child go. In my opinion, that's their right. They can prolong his life as they see fit. Do you think that medically it makes sense to keep the child alive?

morrow and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  7. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think as they are the parents, yes, they have the right.

The hospital started the life support for the benefit of the child, to remove it now is wrong.

That baby will die, with or without the support, they went against nature, it's wrong after 17 months to say.. ok it's now time to let him do what should have happened.

There are children in the UK taking meds that keep them alive, that are now potentially going to die because the meds are too expensive.. when is this a right thing to do?

You! Are the parent, if someone is withdrawing meds that will have your child die.. isn't that the same as now killing your child?
    After all, this support and meds is allowing your child to live!

8. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

It will suffice to say that I agree with soul. However I can also attest to there being situations when the removal of life support is the best course of action. That's all I'm gonna say

9. morrow

morrow Visitor

Agree... But shouldn't it be at least with the agreement of the parents?

10. Running Horse

Oftentimes a mother or father's judgement is clouded in such traumatic circumstances. Almost no-one wants to give in and let their child go but in some cases it is a better course to do so. My ex-wife & I struggled for months with such questions during and after her third pregnancy. We debated abortion, discussed removing him from life support, argued with the doctors over quality of life endlessly. To this day neither of us knows if we made the right call going against the doctors and keeping him alive. There is, at least in such extreme circumstances, no easy answer

wilsjane likes this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think the doctors are correct in their assessment that this child has no hope of recovering and the child should be allowed to die with dignity. but thats my outside opinion as someone who isnt emotionally attached. As a parent I totally understand why the parents are still fighting

And I'm also sort of appalled that the state can step in and take all rights away from the parent. They should be able to take him to Italy if thats what they choose to do. Unless the journey would involve unnecessary suffering to the child. I'm sure there's a lot the public doesnt know about this

12. morrow

morrow Visitor

Let's not forget Charlie Gard

Doctors never thought this couple had such strength either.

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Sadly, Alfie Passed Away A Few Minutes Ago.....RIP Brave Little Boy......:cry:

Cheers Glen.

wilsjane and morrow like this.
  14. morrow

morrow Visitor

wilsjane likes this.
  15. Running Horse

RIP ALFIE
    May you have found peace in that final breath
    In silence never-ending
    Now lay your weary head down to rest
    A final tear in memory

GLENGLEN, morrow and wilsjane like this.
  16. morrow

morrow Visitor