B12 Supplements

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by sunshinedaisy11, May 26, 2004.

1. sunshinedaisy11

sunshinedaisy11 Member

Ok, in health class we're learning about vitamins and such and today we were talking about the vitamin B12. Well I guess it only comes from animal sources, but I was wondering if you were to take a supplement for it what is it made out of? Wouldn't it still be made out of some kind an animal part because thats the only source? I asked my teacher, but she was like hmm good question but she didn't know, so if anyone takes them or something and knows the answer... thanks! :)

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I believe B12 can be cultivated in labs from bacteria. It's also found in certain seaweeds.

www.veganstore.com sell suppliements for B12 along with other things. And of course all the stuff is vegan.

I'm not a big fan of suppliements though and just eat lots of marmite (quirky British sandwich spread). :)

TTFN

Sage

3. sunshinedaisy11

sunshinedaisy11 Member

Ohh I didn't realize it could be found in plants like seaweed too. Our teacher said it was only animal products. Thanks so much! :) ~PEACE

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

From Sage Pheonix
    "Marmite"
    Well marnite would only contain B12 if it was fortified, it would not be naturally occuring.
    Comfrey (a plant) is meant to have a bit of B12.However ther are health warnings about eating too much of it.

5. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Marmite is made from yeast, and yeast is the greatest natural source of B-vitamins *hint hint* B12 *hint hint*, so I don't see why it would need to be fortified.

6. Bilby

Quote from Didge,
    "For good non-animal sources look at seaweed, spirulina, and mushrooms. Mushrooms grown on a B12 rich medium (like poo) will absorb B12 along with lots of minerals."

Such disinformation is extreamly dangerous.What I have read-not just in Nexus but there as well- is that mushrooms contain analogues of B12.This is to say that there are chemically very similar substances found in mushrooms that actually impare that absorption of B12.
    Still the B12 is stored in the human liver.You can go in some cases 20 years without it in your diet before running out.Some vegans become deficient within 6 months.
    Yeast extract: I thought only Australia and the UK were the only places ( wonder about NZ?)that consume yeast extract.I have looked on the label of a jar of vegemite at the list of ingredients and nutrition list and I see no mention of B12.In Australia and the UK there are very strict laws and enforcement of laws on food labling.

Oh Didge, you still haven't told me if you have managed to grow any mushrooms as yet.I did go to the trouble of giving a fair amount of info on the subject.

7. dotadave

dotadave Member

aw shit! No wonder it always smells like rotting flesh to me. I've been taking them to help pass drug tests

8. Bilby

9. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

So that's easy enough, just take supplements and you'll have nothing to worry about :).

"In choosing to use fortified foods or B12 supplements, vegans are taking their B12 from the same source as every other animal on the planet – micro-organisms – without causing suffering to any sentient being or causing environmental damage."

So what's the big deal about Vitamin B12 here?