AWESOME news from hubby's work :D

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AmericanTerrorist, Aug 20, 2013.

1. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I can't believe I forgot to post about this... my husband called me from work on Friday of last week to tell me he had been in a meeting and to tell me what the meeting was about... and I have honestly never heard about something like this (this awesome!) happening... the last time something SIMILAR to this happened it was the exact opposite (last time it was many years ago at the place he had worked at for 15 years... that ended up going out of business... well, not totally... they moved to another state and opened a facility that wasn't union, where they could pay the employees ten dollars less an hour... and they all got told their pay rates would go down by 2 or 3$ an hour, but anyways, that's neither here nor there.. just a comparison to what just happened...).... which is...

He told me that the meeting was to inform them- let's see, I believe the letter from his work is on the fridge... kay, here's what the letter says- "Over the past few months a corporate pay initiative focusing on operations pay at all UNFI Distribution Centers has been underway. The changes go into effect Sept 1, 2013 and any pay related changes will be reflected in your Sept. 13, 2013 paycheck.... Pay Grid- Effective Sept. 1, 2013 you will move to the new grid rates associated with your tenure in the organization. Premiums- Premiums have been aligned across distribution centers. UNFI's warehouse premiums are below...."

Then it goes on to explain your current base rate and then the extra you get for Shift Differential, working the freezer and working on a Lift...
    -without going into the whole chart and to cut to the chase...
    My husband is getting a $2.50 pay increase starting Sept. 1st PER HOUR...every hour. $2.50 more per hour... PLUS, that does not even include the regular raises and he has now been there 1 year and found out he is getting an 85 cent raise per hour effective the same time...
    So, combined that is $3.35 more an hour...
    I really don't feel like doing the math right now but every week he works 48-58 hours guaranteed (mandatory) with overtime starting at over 40 hours... So, if you do the math I believe this will be somewhere between $700-$1000 extra dollars coming home per month for the same amount of work...
    Which is...super awesome :D
    And I just wanted to share the great news.
    It's pretty crazy awesome I think for every single person working in a (pretty large) company to get a pay increase of at least $1.50 an hour in addition to their normal raises (I say at least $1.50 because he is getting a bit more of an increase than some people because he works 3rd shift and works on a Lift)... but, yay. Awesome news. :D That will help us out being able to pay for stuff and actually have some extra in an enormous way! :D

2. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

thats really cool...congrats. now if only that kid of yours will get a job.

3. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Congrats! Fortune has smiled upon you!

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

thanks. :D

and I know, right.
    still being lazy.... smh. maybe by his 3rd bday. ;)

and yes, for once! hehe.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

That's great! Congratulations!

If I may make a suggestion....take a percent of that windfall, however small, and invest it before you get used to spending it.

In 1980 I would invest $5.00 a month in a 403B directly out of my check before I got it, as that was all I could afford. Over the years I added when I could.

Someday you'll need it.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thanks Me Again. :)
    Yeah, that is good advice... we have, in fairly recent times, been talking about starting up a 401k or that sort of thing again when we had any extra to put back and as you mentioned, this would be the perfect time to do so since we are not yet used to having the extra money. Will defiantly do that! Thanks again. :)

7. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Congrats! :)

I need an ipad for work. Hint hint nudge nudge ;)

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

:) Thanks...and sure *sends an ipad dev's way* (feeling generous)...

actually, I really need (okay, want) an ipad myself. Maybe have to finally get myself one.

9. Mike Suicide

well now that you're ballin that shouldn't be a problem.

10. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Sweet! Yeah they are pretty cool, but I'd rather use a laptop anyday.

I need one because there's this chinese company called Launch that makes scan tools with excellent European coverage. We have a few in the company but I want to buy my own. Normally 4-5k, but now they are making this thing called iDiag where it's $200 for a case for an ipad, plus about $1500 for the software. So a lot cheaper.

Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BBsHDXVFjY"]x431 iDiag , IOS and Android Diagnostic scan tool - YouTube

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

haha... yea straight ballin. yah man, I wish. the thing about d's work is.. there are a lot of good things about it, but one thing we have consistently talked about is how much less it paid for the same type of work than his previous job...EVEN when you factored in seniority- that yes, of course when you work somewhere for 15 years you're going to get paid more than just starting somewhere...
    and then the thing is, d's current place of employment... the company itself.. is making LOTS of money. HUGE profits. Fact. So, it was kinda like "yea his work talks about how they're such a great, progressive company.. great for the environment and worried about health- they have a brand new, really awesome, gym there that the employees can all use and they run on much solar power- forget what percentage... etc, etc - (they ARE a natural foods company so you'd expect those kinds of things...) ...and they really do have great benefits and do cool things, like the free Hershey park day this past Saturday and various other things...BUT, despite all that, with the amount of money the people who run that place make, we have consistently said they are not paying their employees enough.
    SO, seems like they somehow got the memo and decided to step it up and now the pay is very close to what (we feel) it should be. Hmmm...maybe they read our minds or heard our conversations about it? ;) Hmmm.. got some kind of spying operation going....:sunny:

12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

:groupwave:

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hmm, interesting.
    Yeah, I'll check it out!

14. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thanks Aeri! :D

But yeah, have YOU ever heard of a company doing that... just raising everyone's pay across the board between $1.50 and $3.00 per hour?
    I'm sure it happens sometimes and this is not a first ever thing....but it doesn't seem like it would be that very common either!

15. deviate

deviate Senior Member

It's crazy they did that right before ObummerCare is about to be implemented. I thought companies were freaking out about increased costs.

16. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Sweet congrats

17. Mike Suicide

This device works with Android tablets as well and you can get those for less then half the price of and iPad.

18. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yea, I have no idea on that one... I know his work already provides decent insurance and recently (June 1st) switched from Blue Cross Blue Shield to United Healthcare, which apparently saved the company a bunch of $$ but also is cheaper for us (less taken out of paychecks and for example, co-pays for doctors went from $30 per visit to $20 per visit and generic rx's went from $10 to $5... but neways, not sure or saying that has anything to do with it either way though. :)
    But yea, as I mentioned, his company makes A LOT of money... I've looked @ their quarterly earnings and though I don't remember their profit I do know I've looked at it and thought "Geeeeezus this company is doing WELL" so they could def. afford to do so!

Thanks a bunch!! :D

19. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Good point. Although, the only cases they make are for the ipad and ipad mini. And I want it sealed and protected like any other scan tool, sometimes you drop them or get chemicals on it. Plus every android I've used freezes up. And I really don't need that happening when I'm doing something like clearing adaptations or doing a relearn on a $90k benz. That would not be good.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

congrats for your hubby, that is an awesome raise.

my company did a company wide $1 raise for everyone on top of our regular raises last year, on top of an extra dollar an hour for April-August that we're getting paid out in one large bonus in the middle of September. so I guess things like that aren't unheard of. Its nice when companies decide to share their profit with the little guy!