Autism Commune

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by Meadow Lark, Aug 15, 2005.

1. free2fly

free2fly Members

2. cobcottage

cobcottage Member

Oh, I wonder if you posted this idea to me somewhere else. I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when I was 14, and I sometimes feel like I was born on another planet.

Here is a facinating page on "Autistic Culture"

http://www.autisticculture.com/

3. Hippie_chic_4u

Hippie_chic_4u Member

I would think there would be lots of ways to get grants for something like this. And no I am not a grant writer. You are filling a need for a very specific group of people that is not currently available yet. So this is a good thing. People will give you money to help fund that sort of thing if there is a big of enough need for it and I for one think there is.
    I have been diagnosed with ADD not ADHD and a small percent of autism like symptoms.SO I for one am for it. I look and act normal for th most part but I do have my quirks LOL :)

4. dont worry be happy

dont worry be happy Member

i have an autistic friend. i knew him for alomst 2 years before i knew and i had to have other people convince me bcos i didnt belive it cos he is so normal. but i love him. he's a champ

5. Aspiegirl

Aspiegirl Member

I just wanted to say, that I also have a vision for an autistic intentional community, on a farm for example, and I am talking with some other autistics about this as well, because we have the same vision.
    I'm 22, female, asperger's, and an artist. If there's any activity concerning the building of an autistic commune/community, please let me know.
    Thanks!!

6. YoMama

YoMama Member

I have a nephew who is autistic he had a brilliant teacher who has been adapting books for people with autism here is a link to his site.

http://www.integreatity.com/

7. DannyD

DannyD Member

Twenty five years ago, if a kid scored a 160 on an IQ test, they called the child a genius, raised all of their expectations of him/her to unreachable levels, forced the child to study things that he/she had no interest in, messed up the kid's ego, and basically made it very difficult for them to ever have a decent, normal life. I think that since then, they've started to call these kids autistic instead, so the kids think that there's something wrong with them and try as hard as they can to suppress their genius and creativity and conform to society.

I have a few friends that have been diagnosed with autism/AS and other than being very smart, super creative, and sweet, honest people, they're completely healthy, normal human beings. They typically don't easily fit into society well though. You can call me a genius or autistic. I really believe that both terms mean the same thing.

I think that there should be a few new communities for free thinking, creative, intelligent, people too.

8. Neweradam

Neweradam Guest

Hello, I am adam. A 29year old lic. Massage therapist who would love to take part in your community WHEN you make it happen! I would love to learn more on what your plans are with the land and your life! Please do contact me and I know this is going to happen for you!

9. RachelLavender

RachelLavender Guest

Meadowlark-I run an organization for autistic people and I have autism myself. Since I live in Florida, this might not be the best way to network but you have the passion and objective and this is really all you need to get this going.

I am also interested in starting a community for autistic people and their families-when I saw your thread I thought maybe it's not such a crazy idea after all. We would need some land and some more passionate and useful people to be leaders who teach skills and encourage learning and initiative within the community. Please keep me posted on your ideas.

Feel free to direct message me or make an account at natural autism treatments. org to chat with me and others on our forums.

Thank you

Rachel

10. RachelLavender

RachelLavender Guest

If any of you are from Florida or would be interested in living in Florida I will talk about creating a community in the area. Glad to see so many spectrum people on this thread.

11. ForgetThisEmail

ForgetThisEmail Member

I live in central Pa around many amish and mennonites. They do many fundraisers for worthy causes. I also have a dear friend who just moved here who has a 14 yr old autistic son. I rebuilt an old school house for them and made it into a 2 bedroom home. I have a small 6 acre farm nestled between large amish and mennonite farms. At this point i do not have a bathroom so i am not able to offer it to you. I would though be willing to talk about this venture. I would only be able to do this on lands around here and not in another state. I would consider selling and buying something with a bathroom. Let me know what assets you have to make something like this happen if Pa is ok by you.