Autism/Aspergers genetic?

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by Padme, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Padme

Padme Member

I was looking for my distant/estranged family members on Facebook and I came across a cousin from my uncle's (Mom's bro) second marriage and I remember him coming over to my house when he was little and had panic attacks that were similar to mine (with fits of vomiting). I also heard from his half-brother (A cousin from my uncle's first marriage) that his older brother has to babysit him even though he is 14 years old. He is also not allowed to use the computer and has a plain Facebook page that was set up by his older brother. I am suspecting that he also has autism/aspergers but of a more severe kind. Yes, my parents are afraid to leave me alone in the house if they have to go on a long trip, but I don't need to be babysat everyday like he does. Could it be that my mom's side of the family has a genetic predisposition for autism?

2. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

It's possible. My son is autistic but has never received any vaccinations. His father was labeled autistic in 1st grade but never formally diagnosed like my son has been. I do know of some fragile x syndrome boys that vomit when stressed ( and lots of people vomit when stressed,) so i don't think that anxiety attacks & vomiting are strictly an ASD thing. Lots of folks restrict their kid's use of computers, sometimes really restrict ! I don't even know yet how strict I'm going to be when my kid gets to be the age to wander around on the net. I think it depends on the specific kid, what they are up to and what their intentions are. About the babysitting thing, now that sounds different than the norm. But then again, folks are getting really paranoid these days, so it's a guess...

best thing to do is politely just ask outright, because it's nothing to be ashamed of and you may gain a new friend out of it.