Austria Passes Groundbreaking Animal Rights Law

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Angel_Headed_Hipster, May 28, 2004.

1. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Dear PETA Friend,

In the latest example of growing European acceptance of animal rights, Austria has passed Europe's toughest animal-protection law, calling for, among other sweeping changes, the abolition of cages for all hens by the year 2020. Additionally, lions and tigers will be banned from Austrian circuses, and the new law will also make it illegal to restrain dogs with chains, choke collars, or invisible electric fences and prevent guardians from performing painful cropping procedures on their dogs' ears and tails.

The new legislation carries penalties of up to $18,160 and empowers authorities to seize violators' animals.

"Austria is taking the role of pioneer," Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel told the Austrian Parliament, vowing to press for similar legislation across the European Union. "This new law will give both producers and consumers a good feeling, and it lifts animal protection to the highest level internationally."

For more information on what you can do to help animals in your community, please visit PETA.org.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah Withrow
    Assistant Manager
    International Grassroots Campaigns

2. graven

graven Member

So I couldn't have a chain as a leash if I lived in Austria?

Chain is cheap, so I just buy a four/five foot piece and get connecter clips and use it as a leash for my dog. I didn't know that was cruel.

Would they also ban dogs with cropped ears and tails? If that was already done? Would they fine current owners of dogs with cropped ears and tails?

It sounds a bit extreme in some cases.

3. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

I think this is a GREAT thing!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully one day ALL animals will be banned from being used in circuses.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

i wonder if the Austrian government will take responsibility when a dog kills a kid because the owner was not allowed to use a choke collar to restrain a rott or could not keep his dog confined to his backyard with an invisible fence.

5. schatzi

schatzi Member

you've gotta love Austria!

6. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Megara: you can tie the dog up, just no choke chains.

7. Megara

Megara Banned

every tried walking a 140+ lbs rott without a choke chain? its not easy.

8. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

Megara, It is called TRAINING, you can train a dog with treats to come to you when you call him/her, you do NOT need an invisible fence to shock a dog, that is Unnatrual, and really fucks the dog up in the head. Also, being that chains are not allowed, the price on regular leashes will probably go down, and if not, oh well, i would rather pay a little bit extra so my dog or cat can feel more comforatable, then think all about myself and pay less even when the dog has to suffer. Megara, i think it is just easy for you to say things like that because you are a human, and aren't subjected to the cruel treatment animals are, and if you were, i know you would be the first to complain.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

9. Megara

Megara Banned

trained dogs are still animals...i wont ever trust an animal with a kid. All dogs should be trained. While i never want to see a dog hurt, we do have to be realistic if we are going to allow bigger dogs to be kept as pets. A choke collar is one of the few ways to keep a dog with immense power under control.

10. schatzi

schatzi Member

If you train a dog well that will not be an issue, trust me.

11. graven

graven Member

Someone explain why it is cruelty to have a chain leash as opposed to a nylon or leather leash? I don't get it?

12. schatzi

schatzi Member

I chain leash basically chokes the dog. it's what it's supposed to do to keep it from going where it's not supposed to. It can leave scaring, etc.

13. AppleScruff

AppleScruff Member

the new laws sound great to me. go austria! .. hopefully it catches on.

.. i think we need harsher penalties regarding cruelty and mistreatment to animals.

14. graven

graven Member

I'm not talking about a chain collar, just the leash. I don't use a chain for my dogs neck, just as a leash...I understand that a chain isn't good for a dogs neck, I just didn't know thats what the law was reffering to.

15. tom

tom Member

Ok, what's person supposed to do when all the free roaming chickens are attacking dogs?

16. schatzi

schatzi Member

sit back and watch, lol. I have no clue

17. Omniwulf

Omniwulf Member

Well i like it to. just dont see why you think PETA is suppost to be apart of all of it. those people are nothing but a bunch of lime lighting idiots. Dont like peta .