Austria Passes Groundbreaking Animal Rights Law!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Angel_Headed_Hipster, May 28, 2004.

1. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

I just got this E-mail from Peta...

Dear PETA Friend,

In the latest example of growing European acceptance of animal rights, Austria has passed Europe's toughest animal-protection law, calling for, among other sweeping changes, the abolition of cages for all hens by the year 2020. Additionally, lions and tigers will be banned from Austrian circuses, and the new law will also make it illegal to restrain dogs with chains, choke collars, or invisible electric fences and prevent guardians from performing painful cropping procedures on their dogs' ears and tails.

The new legislation carries penalties of up to $18,160 and empowers authorities to seize violators' animals.

"Austria is taking the role of pioneer," Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel told the Austrian Parliament, vowing to press for similar legislation across the European Union. "This new law will give both producers and consumers a good feeling, and it lifts animal protection to the highest level internationally."

For more information on what you can do to help animals in your community, please visit PETA.org.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah Withrow
    Assistant Manager
    International Grassroots Campaigns

2. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

:) yay! round of applause for austria!

3. drew172

drew172 Senior Member

i've always liked that country....but mostly for its portrayal in The Sound of Music...shitty reason but meh, i really like them now