Austin Child

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Julie Bukowski, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Ocean Bionic

Ocean Bionic Hero of the People

right off 35, har har

2. Julie Bukowski

Julie Bukowski Member

No way, you and every other Austinite :p

3. Ocean Bionic

nooowaaayy

but seriously, this place is the center of the universe. i moved here from san antonio,
    and the in the last month since ive been in austin, i have been introduced to the most amazing people... so much positivity here!

4. Julie Bukowski

Julie Bukowski Member

:] which is exactly why I love this place

5. Tipo Sensuale

Tipo Sensuale Senior Member

thats one of the attitudes around austin which i hate... i guess it kinda falls into the same category as the "fuck y'all i'm from texas" or the "texas is bigger than france" attitude. with yourselves its forgiveable - you're kids and still teenagers and have yet to face and see the world at all, however the same attitude is prevalent amongst many adults in the town too.

many (not all, but many) of the austinites i have met have seemed to be of the opinion that the rest of the world either doesn't matter or that it revolves around them, proclaiming themselves to be wierd or hippies because they get stoned or drop acid or because they listen to live music whilst at the same time purporting racist bigotries and republican attitudes that belong back in the '50s.

ask yourself how many times someone you know in the downtown area - which harbours so many pseudo-hippy coffee shops and keep austin wierd slogans - makes a comment about bums or about mexicans or about france or europe etc.

for myself i have lived in many cities in several countries, but austin is the only place that i have both dealt with (when it has happend to me) and witnessed (when it has happened to others) so many racist/lifestyle based attacks and comments from a such a large portion of the community.

austin in general definitely seems to be in need of a lot of re-education about honesty and integrity of ideology, opinion and personal/civic re-presentation. 90% of the people i have met here seem to carry a personal theology that shuns anything other than capitalism and only worships success (either from a financial or popularity basis), being willing to look the other way if a homeless person or a traveller was being beaten or abused in front of them, being willing to refuse to help a hungry man/woman/child, being willing to insult someone just because of their race or ethnic background. yet those same people will re-present themselves as being hippy/hippy-friendly, or project an image of being open to all ideas and lifestyles, proclaiming to the world that they are into peace and love merely because they have an anti-bush sign in their home or place of business.

and yes every other town/city/country has a high percentage of people who shun anyone who isn't successful, however austin is the only place which advertises itself as a 'hippy town' and the only place where so many people consider themselves as subscribers to the peace and love and freedom philosophies whilst at the same time condemning alternative lifestyles.

if austinites (in general) were to come to terms with their duplicitous attitudes and admit to themselves that they are still worshipping the capitalist and republican ethos, and then present their external attitude with honesty then it would make the town an easier place for sure.

as the saying goes, if you're bitten by a snake and it already warned you it was a snake you have yourself to blame, if you're bitten by a snake that was disguised as a cat then its time to get the pest control.

6. Ocean Bionic

Hmmm, things definatly don't much up with what Ive experience from Austin and from
    what you've said.

ah yes, you live on the north side. it's ok.
    cry on my shoulder. ill cry with you. :tongue:

Down here in south austin, were all about love and oneness. ive yet to run into any biggots or racists. Coming from San Antonio, my impression is so warm. Everyone ive ran into seems to have an attitude and wanting to meet new people, almost pissing themselves in excitement at the opportunity to meet new, open-minded individuals. Downtown austin (6th and that area) is NOT austin. Thats the yuppie stomping grounds with Out of Staters or piss ants from Dallas (keep dallas plastic!). Every large city all over the globe has areas of town like this.
    It's the balance of life.

I'm not saying this out of ignorance. I'm a very experianced traveler. Bigotry and Racism isn't limited to just Texas. Hate comes in all shapes and sizes, my friend, and
    it's a natural phenomenon all over the world. I would love to tell you about my experience, traveling around Europe and being ridiculed while minding my own business, simply because I am American, on many occasions.

and for the record. you're not a hippie if you label yourself a hippie. it just works that way, because if you're really someone of the cosmic one persuasion, than you would know that following the beatnik philosophy is the real way to go. And Austin worshiping capitalist ethos? We're the biggest supporters of Ron Paul in the country! and he wants to ditch big government and give it back to the people!

Austin the only Hippie Town??? How about San Francisco? Boulder? Portland?

but yes, Austin does have it's problems... but thats natural wherever you go.
    Give this city more credit, man. It's doing a hell of a job, considering that it's been poisoned by Western Culture along with the rest of this country.

7. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

haha, it's pretty funny how the only bigotry in this thread is coming from the person preaching so ardently against it! TipoSensuale... you obviously have fallen in with a tough crowd, but don't worry -- maybe you'll meet some youngsters who can lead you in the right direction! How old are you in earth years anyway? What do you hold above us that gives you the right to call potentially brilliant souls "kids"? You say that many adults are ignorant -- can not young ones, by the same logic, be enlightened? We are all learned in the way of the world, but perhaps our attitudes and outlooks are different. To me, you seem bitter. What gives? Has your heart grown sour after all these years? If so, I envy neither your age nor your wisdom :)

8. Schons90

Schons90 Member

Looks like i have to take a road trip down to Austin... Anybody got a crash pad, Cause i gotta drive down from OKC,Oklahoma lol

9. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

yeah we got a futon matress

10. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

Zilla + Futon = :)

11. Schons90

Schons90 Member

haha hell yeah zilla... well im driving down friday night, and staying til sunday, and who knows i might bring a friend would all this be alright? lol

12. Tipo Sensuale

Tipo Sensuale Senior Member

maybe i am just jaded... i try not to stay in any one city too long, and b4 i moved to the usa i had the network to be able to just up and go a helluva a lot more easier than i can here.

as for bigotted i try not to be, and everyone has their pet peeves that just irk them so much they wanna hate everything around them, one of mine is duplicitous natures, whether on a marketing/business/city/state attitude or in personal values and beliefs, and i have had to deal with a lot of double dealing, xenophobia, racism, fakes and flakes repeatedly for a good few months.

i used to live on the southside and things were definitely more alive down there, the northside is more impersonal and more dominated by lego brick office parks, however they are both parts of the same city and share a lot of the same attitudes and problems...

as for age, i am in my early 30s and have a wide experience to draw on.

as the saying goes if you don't like the weather in tx, stick around and it'll change... just don't rely on texas weather to be constant and reliable. just like my internet connection, it'll give out on you when you most need it.

13. sunshine4life

sunshine4life Member

I have family in Auatin but some of em are in jail.

14. BalkanDain

BalkanDain Member

I live in Austin :)

15. sunshine4life

sunshine4life Member

Can somebody tell me what Austin, Texas looks like now? Has it changed at all? And if you know anything about Brownwood,Texas tell me if they built something else out there because im from Brownwood. :)

16. BalkanDain

BalkanDain Member

yeah i know where that is but I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know if there is anything new.

17. sunshine4life

sunshine4life Member

last time i was down there, i saw new paved roads. It looked really nice,but now i still wonder what it looks like.

18. marysoul

marysoul Member

suspended

19. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

THAT IS ONE OF THE BEST SONGS EVER

GOD WHO'D WANNA BE SUCH AN ASSHOLE :D

20. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

agreed the people are just beaming with happiness and respect

that is my fave part of austin if your open and honest their open and honest

I make trips up quite often and I am looking to expand my life friends circle wanna become part :D