August, 1978 concert photos

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by SunLion, Jul 19, 2004.

1. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was scanning some old pics and ran across a few that I took at a concert in the summer of 1978. Nothing spectacular or anything, but I thought someone here might enjoy them. The first is here, the second one here, and the final one here.

The show started around 5PM on a weekday, and was the first concert to ever be held in the stadium (which no longer exists, btw). The opening act was Eddie Money, next up was the Steve Miller Band, and the Eagles appeared at around sunset.

They opened with Hotel California, which was perhaps the most pervasive song of the late 70s.

2. SunLion

It looks like my friend's web server is having issues or something; I think it's this week he's migrating everything to different hardware. It should work later on, sorry for the presently-dead link

3. pinocchio

pinocchio Banned

Its working now. That's a big crowd and I thought it looked like the Eagles stage back then. They were popular. I didn't like them too much but they were coke heads so they were ok to me.
    :)

'May the California snow always blow freely up your nose!'
    - Glen Frey of The Eagles accepting his grammy one nite in the 80's

4. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

What city/stadium was this?

5. SunLion

Its working now. That's a big crowd and I thought it looked like the Eagles stage back then. They were popular. I didn't like them too much but they were coke heads so they were ok to me.

The Hotel California album got a lot of airplay, and is the only of their albums that I was crazy about. The Wasted Time symphonic version, followed immediately by Victim of Love- nice! Most of their music bores me to death and I've heard their hits way too many times.

IIRC, Joe Walsh had the same cocaine monitor as John Belushi. The guy would be like a bodyguard that kept them from using. "Good times, though."

What city/stadium was this?

Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio. Some good destruction pics are here. In the top pic you see the remains of Riverfront after it was imploded, then the new baseball stadium (Great American I think it's called, for Great American Insurance no doubt), then what was once called Riverfront Coliseum but which now is called by some corporate name.

It's a good memory. The Stones played at the stadium a few times too, years later, but I didn't see any of those shows.

6. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

They should just call these stadiums "Corporate Tax Abatement Stadium" or "Sales Tax Hike Stadium". :)

7. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

8. SunLion

That Who show (3 Dec 1979) was next door at what was then called Riverfront Coliseum. I was at that show also, and caught in the crowd getting in the doors on the west side. The crowd wasn't particularly rowdy or anything, they just wouldn't open enough doors, the crowd was too large for anyone very far back to know the hell of the crush up where we were.

I noticed on thesmokinggun.com site that Phish addresses this precise risk in their contract rider, something truly praiseworthy.

9. TheMagicalMushy

TheMagicalMushy Senior Member

Those pictures are awesome, that is ALOT of people too. Wish I couldve been there :(

10. MusicMan19

MusicMan19 Music Elitist

That's bad ass. Were you in a helicopter or something?

11. SunLion

Were you in a helicopter or something?

No, but it sure felt like it :)

12. JanaXGIRL

JanaXGIRL Senior Member

wow.. I love that atmosphere of the 70's that comes from your pics.. ;)

13. SunLion

I think it was an expensive ticket then, way more than other shows, and I was SURE I had the stub, but it's not with the ones I scanned.

If you want to see some ticket prices, some will be visible, some not...

http://www.digirealms.net/~gjordan/images/NEW/ConcertTics1.jpg

To see more tickets, use the same URL (web address) except change the 1 to a 2, then 3, etc. for each pic. Or just look at the whole directory by shortening it. Some of the tickets are duplicated by mistake, I was in a hurry then, which might account for the lack of an Eagles stub.

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Just paging through your scans. There were some great groups back then. Such a variety of music. What a shame the young people today will never really know that era.

There's an Eagles stub on page 2.