Attitudes towards politics

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hemp-stir, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I have little to no interest in politics, democracy or government.

The way I see it, all they are creating is war, hate and barriers between the people, if it was them on the front line I might be more interested but its not. They are not only corrupting the 'system' they are also corrupting lives, and the world.

People who willingly allow their peoples blood to shed, and others, dont seem like worthy people to be running countries.

But they will learn one day, we hope *sigh*

2. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

^ Yeah but how is positive political change possible without human action? Without some kind of human reaction against such political behavior you'd expect political things to stay the same or grow worse. You wouldn't expect political things to get better without human reaction.

3. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Yes and yes and so is anyone who participates in either.

4. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Brother, I agree with the principle, but figuring out how to live by it has been a big challenge for me.

I have found myself working for large corporations that are at times a force for evil in the world, at times a force for good.

I have never been asked to do anything evil, but remaining under their employment is a degree of complicity I am not comfortable with.

It is like the Apostle Paul (prior to his ephiphany on the road to Damascus) holding the cloaks of the men who stoned St. Stephen to death. Holding cloaks is hardly a sin, but then again, maybe it is!

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to see the dichotomy between left and right,particularly as manifested in the early to mid 20th century, concerning the successful struggles for various rights that were fought for and enacted for the benefit of those for whom rights were non-existant. Now I think the whole rig is a diversion from us citizens actually seeing that representitive government has gone by the wayside. We are now going to be told how to live,what laws we will live under,when we will go to war,how much we will pay for commodities,how much we will pay for legal drugs-ect-ect-by CORPORATIONS. Money rules.

6. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

The way I see it, corporations are getting all the legislative, judicial and executive representation. The illigitimate corporate person has trumped the legitimate person; the legitimate person gets no representation.

7. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I agree with you, lost in the woods and surrounded by trees it is not always easy to see which pathway will lead you out but I think we should get points for trying to find the way out. [​IMG]

8. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

A personal boycott of corporations wouldn't accomplish much anyway. The corporate establishment would get along just fine without you and me. :)

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm interested in the kind of world we all have to live in, so in so far as politics plays a major roll in that, i sort of have to be.

10. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I have seen little towns where a lot of hip people have moved and they have turned the tide of culture to something more positive and progressive.

Once you create such a climate, visitors realize what they are missing, and many are inspired to create better communities back home.

11. outthere2

outthere2 Senior Member

I think there's value to this kind of political discussion in at the very least: it tends to awaken the mind to a reality that maybe would never be pondered and go unnoticed.

If this kind of momentum would continue, political ideas could become political reality.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its not liberalism vs conservatism, its diversitism vs hierachism. and its the conservatives who conserve nothing who are trying to pin the hierarchist label on the diversifists. mostly as a smoke screen for their real intentions, which of course include "gain" for themselves, without regard to cost for anyone else. its that "without regard to cost for anyone else" that leaves the door wide open to jackboots and death camps. implying that government always some how equals hierarchism, never mind that government means all the people, but that somehow corporate fascism, which excludes everyone but themselves, somehow doesn't, is another ploy of the same strategy.

forget the ideological labels. they're all smoke and mirrors. which ought to be pretty obvious to even the most obtuse by now, with labels like neo-liberal conservative fanatics. or whatever mouthful of combined gobbledy gook the latest punditisms are couched in. as if statism vs privatization were the only alternatives, and privitization were anything other then outright theft of nature, not from a state that never claimed it, but from ordinary individuals to whom it had previously been cost free.
    the REAL alternative is to stop romanticizing aggressiveness and stop denying that it is diversity, rather then hierarchy, that is the nature of the overwhelming majority of reality.

13. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

Fuck yeah, themnax.
    You have hit the nail on the head. It is important to realize that economic power is part of politics, that is to say, it is part of the overall mechanism that determines the shape and direction of the whole society.
    Libertarianism is MEANINGLESS if it does not include reduction of not only the state apparatus but also reduction of economic means of control and power, namely the disbanding of huge economic apparata such as corporations and banks.
    Marx was not right about everything, but he was correct in his original assessment that CAPITAL IS THE NEW FORM OF POWER.
    Freedom means nothing in a society where scarce resources are controlled so monopolistically by such a small number of people.

14. cncracer

cncracer Member

I don’t think I can answer it with just a yes or no. I do not watch them on TV, or follow their ads and lies. I do read a lot of different views and vote for who I think is the one most likely to guide us and not shift with the tides. This year it is a no brainer for me. We have one who changes his direction with the sun rise or political stop, and one who tried to do what he set out for when elected last time. I pick the one who tries to keep to his values not the one who covers the spectrum with his promises. Looks like this year this Independent will vote Democratic.

15. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

I have many negative feelings on politics in this country in 2012- - but all my feelings aside , after watching Clinton Wednesday night ,I gotta say>
    Like him or hate him- -
    If were ever in trouble and if I were guilty, especially if I were guilty, I would want Bill Clinton there to defend me. Nobody does it better. He’s one of the most talented politicians I ever heard give a speech , twist truth and fiction and make it sound like*fact* ,& a charming, interesting guy to boot- .
    No one IMHO can mount an argument more effectively than he can.
    Probably defines a lot of with is wrong with politics, but he does make it interesting and does get people to at least listen. At that is a positive..getting the aveage person to listen, and try to make a decision on who they think represents them the most isnt an easy thing to do . I think while the US loves all the election hoopla, in reality this country seems to have become more apathetic then it was many years ago- could be mistaken, its just the way I feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EyGcXj84mE"]Eve of destruction- Barry McGuire.- original version - YouTube
    More things change -the more they stay the same

16. Danky McNugs

Danky McNugs Member

Before one can be a leader in any high level office, I believe that the candidate should have to take a heroic dose of shrooms, and smoke a joint right after they come off their trip.

17. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What in the world makes you think Obama is keeping to any values? What promises has he kept?

18. Eye Contact

Eye Contact Member

You know, of course, we've got the best politicians money can buy . . .

19. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Voters too.

20. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

I stay away from it because theres no right or wrong in politics