Attention span

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

What is your attention span like?

Mine seems like it's next to nil, and it seems like it has gotten worse with age. I was diagnosed with ADD as a child, and that has plagued me for most of my life, because just getting things done is a major chore.

I went back to school this semester (well, I am actually just taking a few online classes), and I find that reading long, boring textbooks is a real task for me. Staying focused for any more than a few minutes takes real effort on my part.

Heck, just posting on these forums seems to be a lot more effort than it used to be.

My attention span is so bad that I often get lost in conversation and forget what I'm talking about.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I can't get through a minute long youtube video unless i'm glued to the fucking chair

3. Pressed_Rat

Fuck, just clicking on the videos seems like too much effort for me. I used to watch tons of YouTube videos, and these days even that is too much for me.

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I go through that too. Sometimes I'll take adderall for a few days or weeks then stop again.

But I have to say, I think it depends on the task at hand and your personal degree of interest/passion in it. For example if I am building an engine, I am in the zone and barely stop to drink water. It's not until I feel serious effects of dehydration that I will stop. And that's just long enough to down 32oz of water. And the day flies by.

But when I had a white collar desk job, I was bored and off task. And the clock wouldn't move fast enough.

5. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

What about the ones with 15 or 30 seconds ads? I just exit out of the page right away if they dont have the Skip this add in 4 seconds button. lol.

6. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Maybe you're depressed. I know I am a lot lately that's how I can relate, ha.

7. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, that is definitely a big part of it for sure. No doubt about it.

8. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

Definitely.

Honestly, I've blamed it on drugs/alcohol - killing brain cells. But they do say that most kids with ADD grow up and have adult ADD. I was diagnosed as well.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Ummm.... What?

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’ve never understood the concept of depression; I mean I’m content watching paint dry [​IMG]

Hotwater

11. deviate

deviate Senior Member

It's weird in that I think online communication perpetuates it. I've always been weird/introverted/loner to a degree, but had a fairly active social life and pretty steady dating life. Well I'm going on a year now of almost full blown isolation compared to what I've been doing especially the past 4 or 5 years.

I find this odd solace in this place in particular, always have. But recently I find myself where I could go do something with friends or go on a date, but I'm like fuck it I just want to go home, drink and sit on HF. I realize it's making me feel even more isolated at this point, but I don't care. Women in particular, it's like I just can't deal with them anymore. But I love the company of women, and I love sex. So this internal conflict is not sitting well. Can't sleep at night and tired as fuck during the day and just have to grind through it. Being tired doesn't pay the bills.

/rant off

12. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

This thread is too long. Didn't read.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxbBu_GPJEU"]

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Sometimes I wish my mind was not as complex as it is. Depression is all internal, a snowballing effect resulting from over analysis. Even though I've had a lot of bad shit happen to me, that is no excuse. People have had worse happen and shrug it off better. It's all about learned thinking patterns and perception.

15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I can stay engrossed if I'm not bothered by distractions. Too much noise throws my concentration off worse than anything. Too much noise makes me edgy, too.

It's not volume. It's too much noise. I love loud music. Loud television makes me nuts. It has to be an intentional listening to something I want to hear to enjoy the volume...like race cars.

Anyway, I think my sensitivity to too much noise stimulation is a symptom of Fibromyalgia.

16. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

I have a very long but selective attention span. I tend to be able to hold attention for a very long time in one particular instance (like one study session or one week of interest in a particular topic). I get intense interest in a topic for a while, but then I usually tend to move on to another topic. Only the coolest ones get added to my repertoire of interest and study.

Apparently I have an asperger's-style attention span. Whatever. It's good for research and learning.

17. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

lolololol

18. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't have sadness or boredom.

I have a chemical imbalance in my brain that causes chronic depression.

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Nope....can't say I've ever had problems with my attention span. I can focus on something for an extremely long amount of time.. unless, of course, it is something that doesn't interest me at all.

And I agree with Dev....that some of the things sound like depression issues and when I'm feeling down, then I do get those same ways,

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I used to have a long attention span for things I was interested in... Stuff like math would make my eyes glaze over though. Now I seem to have the attention span of a gnat... Actually this is getting better now that I'm on good well water. I think it's something in the water. Seriously!