Atrocious speelling and gramer

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by Fixes_big_yellow_things, Aug 8, 2018.

1. storch

storch banned

God, it's loozerer!! You are the loozerest.

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Its you ( is) the loozerist Sucker !

3. storch

storch banned

Okae, I stanned krected.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

my garmamr is iepmccbale, I tulry tkae pirde in hvaing a lrgae vcbaoluray.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

misspeeling...

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I used to have a pocket grammar checker and pocket speller that I used at work before computers and computer spell checkers.

The English language is hard because it's so versatile and borrows from so many different languages.

There have been people who have advocated changing the spelling rules for the English language.

A Plan for the Improvement of Spelling in the English Language
    By Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter “c” would be dropped to be replased either by “k” or “s”, and likewise “x” would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which “c” would be retained would be the “ch” formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform “w” spelling, so that “which” and “one” would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish “y” replasing it with “i” and iear 4 might fiks the “g/j” anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez “c”, “y” and “x”—bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez —tu riplais “ch”, “sh”, and “th” rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. storch

storch banned

I could probably cite something from this site to challenge that statement.

8. Visexual

Visexual Member

This one hit home for me. One of the teen books I wrote years ago had just such an error. In the book, 'Cyanide Kills Rats', there was a part where a family was visiting Vegas. The family was having dinner and the young daughter was going to do something after. The line was originally written, "After they ate Karen". Now my wife was a teacher and she didn't catch it. I had two aunts, also both retired teachers, and they didn't catch it. The editor of Denlingers Publishing, where it was to be published the first time, didn't catch it. I caught it when I proof read it myself just before sending the final manuscript in. One comma made a real difference. "After they ate, Karen". Although, now that I think about it, a little incest or cannibalism may have made it sell more copies. Ha!

Deidre likes this.
  9. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

We are a sick society now, it probably would become a best seller. Fuck commas! lol

Visexual likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

English has changed a lot within the last century, Just look at the nursery rhymes

Tradition testifies and history verifies that one Mary at one time was possessed of a member of the genus Ovine whose excellence in blood and neatness of manner had rendered its exterior fringe the colour of the purest driven snow. Wherever did this young lady perambulate, the aforementioned quadruped would presently approximate thither.

Tradition testifies and history verifies that one Mary at one time was possessed of a member of the genus Ovine

MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB

whose excellence in blood and neatness of manner had rendered its exterior fringe the colour of the purest driven snow.

WHO'S FEET WERE WHITE AS SNOW

Wherever did this young lady perambulate,

EVERYWHERE THAT MARY WENT

the aforementioned quadruped would presently approximate thither.

THE LAMB WOULD ALWAYS GO

Taken from a paper published at Oxford university, over 100 years ago.

MeAgain likes this.
  11. BJintheUK

BJintheUK Members

Good one wilsjane, but in the nursery rhyme it was the lamb's FLEECE that was white as snow, not its FEET! :)

12. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Its feet were fleecy, and flighty too. :)