Atheists religions; a rose by another name

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by heeh2, Jan 20, 2018.

1. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Member

Did you mean 'phenomena'. Confusion between phenomenon (singular) and phenomena (plural) seems to have appeared from nowhere just a few years ago (ditto with criterion/criteria). I have no idea why the distinction was suddenly lost. However, since I've been standing on a street corner all day, holding up a sign that reads THE ADVERB IS DEAD, who am I to quibble

quibble and bisque, quibble and bisque
  2. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Member

because there's no evolution without it

it is inherent in life

even paramecia do it
  3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam Senior Member

That's all well and good but By "laws governing physics" I meant physical laws (i.e. Newton's Laws of Motion) influenced by fundamental forces, not social concepts/laws of human specific endeavors.
  4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I enjoyed reading this thread. Interesting discussion.....and the qurestion why does there have to be conflict is in my head.
    All I can say is that I don't know...Ask the people that make it so.....:)

But to repeat themnax....lack of consideration comes to well as clarity, understanding, empathy, respect and respect for boundaries and so on.....and the hierarchy thing makes sense, too....whoever wrote that post...
  5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I say so, because I see no other way of dealing with the ambiguity surrounding human existence. Having faith is a gamble or "joyful bet", as Luther put it. I'd call it more a necessity than a duty. Of course, my bet is on "Something Big Out There". An atheist could reasonably bet on just the opposite. We place our bets and take our chances. But I think the leap (maybe "hop" would be a better word) should never be done if the evidence and reason clearly point in the opposite direction: e.g., evolution, the age of the earth, etc. When faith and reason/evidence point in opposite directions, I go with reason/evidence.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018 at 9:10 PM