At least 4 killed in shooting at Michigan high school

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by hotwater, Dec 1, 2021.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

OXFORD CHARTER TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Students at Oxford High School in suburban Detroit rushed for cover and barricaded classroom doors with chairs when they heard the first gunshots on Tuesday afternoon. Within five minutes, the authorities said, a 15-year-old sophomore at the school had shot 11 people, killing three of his fellow students and leaving others with critical injuries.

The authorities identified the dead as Hana St. Juliana, 14; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; and Tate Myre, 16, who died in a sheriff’s squad car while on the way to a hospital. The injured students ranged in age from 14 to 17, officials said, including three who were in critical condition and another who was in serious condition. The only adult who was shot, a 47-year-old teacher, had been discharged from a hospital.

The rampage at Oxford High School, north of Detroit in Oakland County, was the deadliest shooting on school property this year, according to Education Week, which tracks such shootings and has reported 28 of them in 2021.

Students described frantically hiding in classrooms and fleeing from the school after long minutes of terror. Shaken parents rushed to a local grocery store to reunite with their children. Officials across the country issued statements of sadness and frustration, as area residents announced a vigil and prepared for funerals.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  2. hotwater

Update: Michigan high school shooting suspect arrives at Oakland County Jail

From CNN’s Carolyn Sung

The suspect accused of killing four fellow students at a Michigan high school has arrived at Oakland County Jail and is being processed, according to the Oakland County Sheriff’s office.

Authorities charged 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley as an adult, with terrorism causing death and four counts of first-degree murder. He was also charged with seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald said.

During his arraignment Wednesday, Lt. Tim Willis said two separate videos were recovered from his cellphone via search warrant, where he talked about shooting and killing students the next day at Oxford High School.

Willis said in addition to the cellphone, a journal was recovered from his backpack detailing his, “desire to shoot up the school to include murdering students.”

Crumbley's lawyer entered a plea of not guilty on his client's behalf at Wednesday's arraignment.

[​IMG]

3. hotwater

The Parents of Ethan Crumbley, 15, a sophomore, who was previously flagged by administrators for “behavior in the classroom that they felt was concerning,”
    [​IMG]

Oakland County Sheriff Mike Bouchard said Wednesday. His parents had even been brought into the school the morning of the shooting for a face-to-face meeting about their son’s behavior, according to Bouchard.

He wouldn’t say what the behavior was, and police weren’t informed about any potential issues prior to the tragic event.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  4. mcme

mcme lurker

Such a horrible thing to happen, especially with so many warning signs and hints at exactly what was about to go on.

5. wrat1

wrat1 Members

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Firearms do make it easier for people to cause death, though...

Let me explain what I mean by that.

Say buddy gets into an argument, becomes unhinged. If he isn't armed a couple of guys beat each other up. On the other hand, if he's got a gun, then it's 5 people shot, 3 dead in Walmart. (and you could add, Cops mistakenly kill "good guy with a gun" to this story and it's not out of the question)

I'm not anti gun, but there are just way to many people with easy access to guns that they should not have. So firearms, or easy access to firearms, are part of the issue.

snowtiggernd, scratcho and hotwater like this.
  7. wrat1

wrat1 Members

absolutely unquestionably true

8. wrat1

wrat1 Members

firearms are unquestionably undeniably NOT the root cause as I proved in my previous post, if you disagree you are part of the problem by ignoring the real problem

9. mcme

mcme lurker

How does a closed mind get anything in it?

10. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nobody but nobody is more dogmatic than the gun lobby. Long ago the argument passed into the insane and the result is carnage on a scale that would have been unimaginable several decades ago. I just wonder how bad the gun killing will have to get before we say enough is enough. There is no logical argument for permitting concealed guns on the level we see the advocates pushing for….course their argument never was based on logic. Just ugly emotions generated by gun sellers and manufacturers.

snowtiggernd and SaraSara like this.
  11. wrat1

wrat1 Members

mcme likes this.
  12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

His parents Are now charged with involuntary manslaughter. They will soon become heroes with a certain group that protects the gun lobby.

granite45 and SaraSara like this.
  13. mcme

mcme lurker

The gun lobby consists of non criminal responsible owners of firearms. They'll offer zero support to the idiot parents who let this happen.

14. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Killing or having your constituents killed is not a good business model, advocating for the responsible use of guns just might be..

What does a lobbyist do exactly? A lobbyist is a professional advocate who works to influence political decisions on behalf of specific organizations and people. As official members of the political process, lobbyists are intricately involved in the creation and implementation of new laws.

I see nothing about selling guns

15. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We are not talking about a lobby for the dairy industry here with a slogan promoting cheese consumption. What we are talking about a lobby promoting the proliferation of a lethal weapon and in the case of hand guns and assault rifles, one that is designed to kill people. About 200 miles up the road from where I live is another country,eh. They do not permit widespread ownership of hand guns and, just coincidently, have a gun death rate much lower than that of the US.

By the way, I grew up in a rural community where hunting and fishing were part of life and I have fond memories of hunting. That of course, is not the issue here. Never once did one of my classmates receive a semi automatic hand gun for Christmas or bring a hunting rifle to school. The gun freaks and “2nd amendment” types long ago disappeared down the NRA rabbit hole and made all of us less safe.

snowtiggernd and SaraSara like this.
  16. hotwater

There is a manhunt for parents of the Michigan high school shooting suspect

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  17. hotwater

18. hotwater

WTF were they thinking......................

Parents of accused killer in Michigan school shooting arrested after vehicle was found in Detroit

DETROIT — James and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of the teen charged in the Oxford High School shooting were located and arrested early Saturday in Detroit, a little more than two hours after a citizen saw their vehicle and called police.

Yes, they are both in custody and will be on the way to the Oakland County Jail soon," said Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe. "Kudos to Detroit PD and all the other agencies that assisted."

The Crumbley parents did not show for their arraignment Friday afternoon in Rochester Hills, Michigan. The U.S. Marshals Service issued "Wanted" posters and offered a reward for information leading to their arrests.

19. hotwater

Under Michigan Penal Code (750.321) the maximum sentence for Involuntary Manslaughter is 15 years in prison.

If found guilty they would likely be sentenced to 3-5 years with time served, and with good behavior eligible for early release.

20. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

What we need is a mass application of blacks to the NRA. I'm sure the NRA will appreciate the support and consider it useful for their cause.

21. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My post 16. I watched a little of Fox "news " last night before I got pissed off and quit. On Laura Ingrahams show , they are already saying that to arrest the parents for their involvement in the days activities with the school and with their punk son is wrong. I knew that before long the fox liars would be doing this because obviously they are mad that the parents have been outed as MAGA creeps. Speaking of a creep--D'nesh D'Sousa claimed there was no reason to arrest them because they had no evidence that they were not derelict in their duty as parents to check his back pack to check for the gun that they bought him for xmas. The exact opposite is true. His mom texted as the shooting was happening --"don't do it Ethan. " Not exactly heroes yet, but it's coming. The school was definitely negligent in their lack of action also.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    MeAgain and Tyrsonswood like this.