Astray Art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Astray, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Astray

Astray Visitor

Neighbour became jaundice for a month, then died from organ failure. When the flat/unit was cleaned out, a lot of empty pharmaceutical packages was dumped into the community bin. When I saw them, I realised what caused the death. Decided to make a collage from these packages. Also included, black card, tinted Perspex, and plastic mirror. The iris is reflective.

[​IMG]

Detail
    [​IMG]

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow. Staggering.

Nice work.

Astray likes this.
  3. Astray

Astray Visitor

Deidre and rollingalong like this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Good job! :) I like your work! How long did it take you to become accomplished, as you clearly are that?

Astray likes this.
  5. Astray

Astray Visitor

Thanks for the compliment.
    Interesting question. I suppose it is similar to learning to play the guitar, but I am not an auditory person. I am more visual.
    Genes play a role here too. Both my father's brother and sister were good at painting.
    My father did not like me to do art. I was a single child hiding from alcoholic father. So I spent nights silently in my room drawing for hours. Unknowingly, I was doing art therapy. . . it saved me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
    McFuddy and soulcompromise like this.
  6. Astray

Astray Visitor

Thank you @Irminsul, @tumbling.dice, @deepwoods, @Deidre, and @rollingalong for your 'likes'.

Saving Grace

[​IMG]

When I used to get depressed, often a happy person could impart their love and light to me and perk me up. I often wondered how they did that. I discovered it was me that sought to be saved.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
  7. Astray

Astray Visitor

Now and again I doodle, or draw, what is on my mind.
    Sometimes the drawing helps me to clarify what I was thinking about.

Created this doodle while thinking about Luke, a red Kelpie, that once lived with me. Now passed away.
    The scene is when I was sitting on the porch step, watching the world go by. Luke came from behind and with his muzzle nudged me over to one side. Then he sat down and leaned against me. We then both watched the world go by.
    [​IMG]

McFuddy likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Visitor

nice stuff.. keep it coming.. :D

9. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Qft

10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Holy smokes...............!

11. Astray

Astray Visitor

Thank you @Orison, @Eric!, @McFuddy and @neonspectraltoast for your comments and 'likes'.

I have several unfinished artworks. This is one of them. The face looks flat at the moment, but I plan to fix it all up when I get back to it.

What It Was Like

[​IMG]

GrampaLove, Orison and Eric! like this.
  12. Astray

Astray Visitor

Thank you @Eric! for your 'like'.

13. Astray

Astray Visitor

This was painted in 1991, when I was in my second year of recovery. Have been alcohol and drug free ever since 1988.
    It is about feeling grateful for the new found freedom from addiction.

Sobriety.

[​IMG]

Detail 1. This is to remind me that even in the deepest depression there is still hope, if one seeks it.
    [​IMG]

Detail 2. This is to remind me that if I think I am spiritual, I just hung myself.
    [​IMG]

guerillabedlam and McFuddy like this.
  14. Astray

Astray Visitor

I like altering books.

[​IMG]

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Damn dude..really nice work!

Astray likes this.
  16. Astray

Astray Visitor

17. Astray

Astray Visitor

18. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I really love your work, you're so talented! :)

Astray likes this.
  19. Astray

Astray Visitor

Thank you Deidre for your kind words. Glad you like the work.

20. Astray

Astray Visitor

Making my first collage.

[​IMG]

It was made for a friend who was about to relocate to another country. She loved the place she was living at. Her backhard bordered onto a forrest. She would regularly have a visiting Kookaburra land on her veranda table. She ocassionally feed the Kookaburra with some mince meat, and it would often get its chest rubbed. A week before she left, the Kookaburra introduced its young chick to her at the table. It was a beautiful parting gift.

The collage is full of meaning for her, and not anybody else. She now has it hanging up in her new home in Canada.

[​IMG]