Ass Backwards

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by missfontella, May 25, 2004.

1. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

Sorry to interupt but I was wondering if you all have time for a question from a non-writer.

Everybody tells me I should be a writer.( what do they know about it, though) I wrote to an author and now she wants to post my stuff on her website. She sends all my stuff to the Post and NY Times. They are kinda interested in publishing me (only in the ed page). My question is this: Can you fall ass backward into being a writer? I'm an engineering major. I like math but...everybody says....I don't know. How do you know that you will be good at it? How do you know you should be a writer? Or does this happen to everybody?

That was several questions...sorry

2. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Of course you can, you can fall ass backwards into anything it couldn't help couldn't and if you don't like it just stop. Of course you shouldn't do it b/c people tell you to, you should want to, and if you want to do it!

3. veinglory

veinglory Member

If you have an opportunity don't piss around, take it! But if you don't actually want to be a writer don't let it take you away from the things you do enjoy.

4. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

do whatever you want to. If you have a gift its a shame to waste it, but if it detracts from what you love, don't

5. Rod

Rod Member

Bassackwards....

We all do silly things. You are no less prone to accidentally fall as to accidentally fail and wind up publishing your work for money, as opposed to fishing for encouragement in a silly chatroom like this.
    Shame on you, Ass!
    The editorial bored,
    P. Rod P.
    prp30@hipplanet.com

6. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

Actually I was looking for some insight into why people believe they are writers or stories of how it came about. I don't know much about it because I am so focused on my current career path. Unlike my friends, I believe being a writer is probably damn hard, then again, what do I know? THAT's why I posted here.

I can see "friendly" is a word with no value here. Won't happen again.

7. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

Hey don't be mardy. Thing is you don't know if you're a writer or not until someone says you are. Most of us on here do it for ourselves, but we all love praise and recognition, or at least to know that we're writing so that others can relate - i.e. we're communicating. You are a writer if you write. That's it. Doesn't make you a good writer though. Neither does being recognised and published, it just means you've been recognised and published.

Now I'm not saying that's you (never read any of your stuff, can't judge) I'm just saying that from what you describe you're already further ahead than some people on here (not everyone, cos it ain't everyone's driving motivation) have ever got. And truth be told I'm sure there's some jealousy, especially as you haven't posted any of your work, that you can be "noticed" by accident.

What makes a writer...I don't know. People wanting to read what you write is an indicator that you've hit a nerve somewhere I suppose.

Anyway, please don't take offence. You have to follow your heart and do whatever it is you feel is right. Anyway getting something published doesn't commit you to full time authorship, so what's the big deal? Doesn't sound like you want to pursue it full time, so don't. Even people who want to write very rarely manage that.

8. spicypisces

spicypisces Member

Here's a thought, Ass.

Why not post some excerpts here? Ask for some input. "Everyone tells you you should be a writer". That's fine, but, you don't mention WHO these people are. Do they happen to be the jobless people stampeding around your house? If so - don't listen to them for career advice.

I think here is a good place to get some honest feedback.

Asking people why they are writers is an arbitrary question. Why are people cops? Waiters? I figure most people end up stumbling into their jobs. That's why I'm a writer who's a buyer. Maybe, though, writers already know they're writers - regardless of the position they happen to be holding. Like artists who fix cars. Singers that serve coffee.

:)

9. veinglory

veinglory Member

Writing is a career you can ease into or do part-time/freelance. This is may approach, make a little money on the side and see how many places think my stuff is worth buying. It would take a brave or stupid person to commit to writing as a full time career before they had made a single cent from it. The lack of clairty in your post is a bit of a concern, clarity is key especially if you want to sell non-fiction.

10. geckopelli

geckopelli Senior Member

The question is what type of things have you written that have garnered interest?

Are they specific or general? Fiction? What genre?

Do they specifically interest you, or is it writing in general?

Is writting something you have the oppurtunity to pursue WITHOUT totally knocking your life off track? If not, is it worth it?

Do you like to write? Why do you write?

What DO you like?

Be sure it's what you want to do, and don't just be flattered into it.

If you decide it's what you want to do, grab the bull by the balls and go for it! But only because YOU want to.

11. lordcthulhu

lordcthulhu Member

Post some of your work!!!

What Gecko said sounds good though. I'd hate to end up with a job that I hate, although I most likely will(unless I become a good writer!). But the beuty of writing is you don't have to just be a writer. You can still do what you want and write part time or when you have free time. The choice to pursue fully is yours.

P.S. What aouthor posted your work and what's his/her website, it must be good if a pro is gonna show it off!

12. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

well im 17...18 in june, and ive never before thought of becoming a writer till last fall. i was taking journalism and writing regularly and people enjoyed what i wrote. then my english teacher started commenting on my writing. never before did i think i was any good at it because most of it was bullshit and done half drunk. but then when i look back at my work. i realized that writing comes easy enough to me i should go into a career in it.....so this fall im going to study journalism at college.