Ashland, OR

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by Midget, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Ponderosa9

Ponderosa9 Member

I would not say that a town is "liberal" if there is homelessness and panhandling along with snobbish residents. All major religious teachings tell us to help the poor among us.

I do not call myself a hippy but I do have a sense of social justice. Clearly, there are not enough opportunities so that folks can be employed. For one thing, Ashland and Medford have high unemployment due to urban growth boundaries from the State.

I also do not see how Ashland can be liberal when the Confederate Flag is flown at the edge of town at North Mountain and I-5. And, with the anti-gay graffitti at the University. If the town was really liberal, they would pass a hate crimes ordinance and an regulations against Confederate Flags.

Can anyone suggest a town with a growing population on the west coast that is socially liberal and where people take care of each other? How about Bend?

If not I'll go back east where folks take care of each other and don't fly the confederate flag and spray anti-gay graffiti - Vermont, or Ithaca, NY, perhaps.

Thanks .....

2. gypsy_queen79

gypsy_queen79 Member

Finally got to Ashland last October. Beautiful place. Cute shops for the most part. I went into a few looking for beads and hemp twine or clothing. I came home with a tiny bag of beads. It's hella expensive there and when I researched places and shops to go before we left I thought we'd have more to do. Most of the places I'd looked up had closed in just the last month and two of the ones that hadn't yet were clearing out to close the next week and not just for the winter. We found some stuff in Medford, but all in all it was a bust due to all of the closures.
    The economy is dwindling around here and Ashland is not immune. The snobby types will still be there, because the businesses they frequent can afford to stay open. Lots of places were open that weren't "family oriented" and I have 2 kids. If I wanted to eat a $50 a person meal or drink, then there was plenty.
    Still, worth a visit at least.
    Eugene is pretty cool for hippie shopping, if you know where to look. Stay around west 11th and you'll do pretty good. If your looking to mall shop, keep heading north to Portland or even the outlet stores up by Salem in Keizer. We went to the malls in Eugene and Springfield this last summer and half the shops were gone. I prefer the little hole in the wall shops anyway, but we had some stuff we needed from a shop we'd been to the summer before and it was gone.
    I've even heard tell that there's still some co-op living in town, as well as some nearby communes. Much more "liberal."

3. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

hey , i just might go there for no particular reason . i got an unreasonable feeling itsa place one could explode something new
    ... as in child-like . why not ? hum , n'how ? oh , ya , i gots an idea .

4. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Hi Midget, I lived in Ashland for 7 years before I moved up to Wa.
    Yep, its a hippy haven.Cool people and all around cool college town.summers can be hot, too hot for me. I prefere the Wa. rain and cool weather.I moved there from the Big Isle of Hawaii and found lots of Islanders there.Wa. is more like the Big Isle thats why I came up here.If I became disenchanted here I'd go back to Ashland.Its a small town---too small for me.Getting to be a lot of homeless going there some of them not very nice people.The cops are cool none of them ever bothered me.I'd say give it a try.Check craigs list for places to live with like minded people.
    Good luck.

5. beatlebug

beatlebug Member

Ashland is awesome! Me and my boyfriend were homeless at the time but it was the most fun either of us have ever had.

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Ashland is a great place to hang out. Lithia Park is amazing and the night life is really good for a town that size. However it is the one town in the entire state that has a 5% meal tax on all restaurants, which is total bullshit since Oregon has no sales tax and there is absolutely no reason why Ashland can get away with that.

7. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

My band mates and I used to love going to the Rogue Brewery and eating the pizza and the beer was awesome .
    Lithia Park is a great place to relax and enjoy the sites and the people .
    Ashland is a great place , compared to other places I've been to .

8. mountain_seed

mountain_seed Members

I've been there a hundred times.. live an hour away.. what are you looking for (no judgement here.. I'm a political centrist/72 yo)