Ashamed to Be Sick

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Libbygrable87, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

Do you ever feel ashamed of your mental illness? I don't as much as I did years ago but for a while I was. I thought everyone had a normal life but me and no one would want to be with me because of my illness. In 2006 no one talk about it and if they did no one was talking about it in Nebraska. I felt like I was the only one in therapy and stuff. I brought it up once and was told not talk about because it would make me look weird. Things have changed since then. More people are talking about it.

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

People seem to think that mental illness is on the increase, but that is simply not true.

The real difference is our society narrowing the boundaries of what they want us to consider as normal. The more people accept these man imposed boundaries. the narrower the divide will become.

If you walked into my home now, it is highly likely that unless you told me that you had an issue, I would not assume that it existed. Slightly different from the norm maybe. but unless you started trying to pick flowers off the wallpaper, I would probably accept you just as you are.

You should try to just relax and be yourself, you will be amazed at the outcome.
    Your obsession with mental illness is probably no different from my love of opera. All people are different when they are truly themselves.

3. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I am getting better with loving me for me. Not everyone like me and thats cool. I don't tell everyone about my illness but I don't have a job and people ask why and its hard to say why without being rude.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't feel shame.. I just get frustrated with myself. My problems, I feel them coming on before it hits and I cannot stop it from happening which gets me frustrated and probably complicates everything in the process. So I'm not ashamed of being who I am, perish the thought, even if I am not right in my head :sweatsmile: not ashamed, just frustrated.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  5. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

WHY YOU MUST HAVE A MENTAL DISORDER IN THE NEW WORLD ORDER

"As the title of this piece indicates, when elites fashion and impose a New World ORDER, they naturally need a way to classify the recalcitrant citizens and the rebellious and the independent. So they use the word DISORDER. "If you're not for the new order, you're disordered." That's called a clue. It illustrates the building of a closed self-referential system. Nice and neat. WHY YOU MUST HAVE A MENTAL DISORDER IN THE NEW WORLD ORDER by Jon Rappoport "

Struggling mentally is real, I am not one of those people that claims non of that exists but it was discovering and reading all this stuff critical of organized psychiatry that lead me to taking my life back from it and getting better.

wilsjane likes this.
  6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My first question to you would be, did you really have a mental disorder in the first place, or did it just start with a lack of self confidence, followed by well meaning people confirming it, then doctors prescribing some pills, then more pills, then different pills, that led you to your lowest point. This sad spiral is all too common, but fortunately you saw the light before it was completely snuffed out.

In the past, we always had the village idiot. Someone who had probably failed at school and was a bit different. But most importantly he lived a happy life and people accepted him for the person who he was. Provided that he never harmed anyone and steered away from petty crime, he would always have a lawn to mow, a dog to walk, or the cats to feed while someone was away on holiday. He was just part of the community.

Seeing the way that things were going in the early 70's, was part of the reason that I abandoned my original career as a doctor and took up my position as a design engineer in the theater.
    Over the last 2 decades, the recessions and improvements in television caused me to return to cardiology and although not involved with general medicine, I think that doctors are starting to see the true problems with the continual rise in so called mental illness and realizing that in the same way that while a broken leg requires a splint and crutches, they need to be removed after a few months and the patient given help in learning to walk again..
    Things are still far from perfect, but I think that the medical approach towards mental issues is improving. (in the UK)
    The conspiracy theory that prescribing less drugs is a result of cuts in funding is completely untrue and an insult to the doctors who look to long term solutions.

7. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Embarrassed & awkward, yes (sometimes), ashamed, no that's too strong a word for how I feel.

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

@Libbygrable87 the courage to not be embarrassed will come if you persevere…the last thing you should do is take advice on your actual treatment from people with an agenda or a jack of all threads :)….good luck

9. Meditation is important

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I had a nervous breakdown in 2016. I'm not a bit embarrassed about it. I take my medication and now I'm great.

11. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I believe Laura Delano’s YouTube video “The Power of Psychiatric Diagnosis” says it best. Once accepted, a psychiatric “diagnosis” has the power to steal one’s very identity and rob one of hope.

Before I came along you did not even know NAMI is run by the pharmaceutical industry, talk about "agendas" lol .

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I would like to point out that there are many people with far more severe mental illnesses who could not possibly ever managed to join a forum and Converse in a thread like this to discuss their illness