Asda

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Spuff, May 27, 2004.

1. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

Does anyone else work for Asda (a.k.a Walmart, in the US)? Because for a company that employs so many students and part-time workers, like McDonald's, they're incredibly good to work for! Well, in comparison to 99.9% of other student employers anyway! I just wanted to know what anyone else thinks.

2. kier

kier I R Baboon

nope, though a few mates work there :)

i'm happy with b and q, i get time and a half for doing sundays (you can guess which day i work!) :D though am thinking of getting a full time job over the summer :p

3. autumn_jewels

autumn_jewels Member

i work in a summer job that doesnt do extra pay on bank holidays, if one of ur contracted days falls on christmas day or another day which is closed, you are required to take it as holiday and in all respects like that its crap

but i like it so im staying there :)

4. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

apparently...asda are the most unethical supermarket around at the present...(the co-op being the most ethical)...particular with regards to the 'perfect' fruit scandal...

...just thought id throw this in ;)

5. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

I used to work for Asda, and they really do look after their staff (I've also worked for sainsbury's and they don't!) I had great fun at Asda, but sometimes it can be kinda cheesy with all the slogans and jargon....do you work there? Do they still have "huddles"?

6. kier

kier I R Baboon

do you pat your own ass if someone asks you the price of something? *giggles*

i used to pack fruit for asda, and they were the nastiest pairs i've ever tried eating...i'd try and get your fruit and veg local if you can, or if your in an urban enviroment get the best you can...the co op are good, and waitrose aren't too bad.

7. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

mmm i agree with you kier...locally produced fruit and veg is the way to go, either that or organically and ethically grown from abroad...i have heard stories recently of absoloutely terribly unethical manufacturing processes for fruit such as perfection machines that result in over a third of perfectly fine fruit being thrown away!! we need to move away from eating 'perfect' looking fruit from asda and other such unethical corporate supermarket chains and think more about where our food is coming from and about the lives of the people who have made it possible for us to eat that piece of fruit...

...makes luchi and the chickabeans very distraught...:(

8. kier

kier I R Baboon

the fruit wasn't perfect

not by a long shot....and then some

local fruit and veg, especialy from farm shops is so so so cheap. a weeks suply of veg for a couple of quid is a ten minute walk from my house in this form :) and another a lil while away...hehehe!! i hope i can find a couple down near my university, they are little goldmines :p

9. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Asda was my very first student job! It was quite a friendly atmosphere to work in ... apart from the slave-labour wages (about 20p above minimum wage - super) and the disturbing management / worker class-system disguised by having to call everyone else "colleague". I used to refer to people as "comrades". All the management-babble, daily team huddles, and compulsory monthly corporate videos really grated with me. It's a fucking supermarket! But then, I could just sit in the office staring at my computer screen and never actually do any work so it was quite cushty...

10. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

11. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

coudlnt get those links to work :confused: ...im not up to date on the marketing regulations, however i watched a program the other day which was talkin about these 'perfection' machines in apple and pear factories abroad. apparently there are now machines that test the asthetic perfection of fruit...yes...the aesthetic perfection. not whether or not the apple is ripe but whether it is pretty enough. crazy. the lady talking about this was explaining as an example how a cox apple machine would have a set standard that had to be maintained such as at least 30% pink blush on a pale green background. all coz apples that dont live up to this standard of beauty were rejected and thrown away!!

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! :mad:

12. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I'd never work for ASDA, no way in hell I'm being in the pocket of Wal-Mart. I worked for the Co-Op for a bit, even they're shit, well at least my local one was. My suggestion to you all, is don't work, it's much better for your soul....

13. Hippy_Smurf

Hippy_Smurf Member

I'd love to not work but if I want to go to Cambridge I'm going to have to have some funds stashed away. Unfortunately my parents can't afford to send their darling daughter off to university fully paid for and I actually have to get off my arse and earn my own money. I like to think of it as taking responsibility.

It's a shame that we live in a society where we're all wage slaves bla bla bla yackety schmackety, but I'm sorry, that's the way it is and it's not going to change over the next two years where my working is a necessity in order to provide for the path I want to take.

I work at BHS at the minute and I actually quite enjoy it. I often find myself working harder than the rest of the people my age there, I seem to have a work ethic of 'get the job done and do it well' that some don't...Anyway less moaning! We have huddles too. The main thing I don't enjoy doing is trying to sell store cards to people who don't want one. I've been told to keep trying to sell them even after the person's said they don't want one, but I'm not prepared to piss people off if they don't want it!

14. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

sorry my links won't work....it's weird cos they work for me...hey ho. It was a really really dull read anyways!:p

15. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

I think I might take up that piece of advice...

16. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

I don't work much....I just sit here and pretend to....

17. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

mmm, no work sounds fabulous! i like maons propsal the other idea of wokring part time or 2 days a week or something and earning alot less but gettin rid of all the things in your life you feel you need but dont really...learning to live on a smaller income so that you can spend more time actually LIVING!!

sounds like plan to me..

18. Peace-Phoenix

What are you planning to study at Cambridge? Which college are you thinking of applying to. Good luck for it, may see you there in a year....

19. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

I don't actually agree with all the crap that Walmart does or anything but as far as student jobs go, it's probablt one of the better out there, as they really know how to look after their staff. I've worked in McDonald's and they treat staff like worthless slave scum and pay them next to nothing and I can tell you that working for Asda is like heaven.
    If I had the choice, I wouldn't work but what am I expected to live off and feed and clothe myself with? I know too many people who live off the government and it's not a pretty lifestyle.
    And yes, they still have Huddles and all that cheesy crap! (SMILES and the whole collegues thing!)

20. Peace-Phoenix

I think it depends on the individual store too. As I said, I worked at the local Co-Op and the manager there was a dick who treated all the staff very badly. And this is from one of the most ethical supermarket chains....