As Long As Money Exists, The World Will Be An Evil Place

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by AceK, Dec 4, 2014.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

times both more peaceful and more gratifying lie ahead, though we may very well nearly destroy ourselves before then. not by war, but with famine and pandemic, due to environmental negligence.

its ego that's the problem. money is just one instrument of it. ego that creates tyranny, which is the dominance of aggressiveness, regardless of ideology or belief. there is no other thing wrong with this world that is not ultimately the result of it. prosperity is a bit of a slippery concept. gratification in living is somewhat more to the point. the mitigation of violence by strong centralized states is a bit over rated. the recognition of a common interest in peace and a level playing field for gratification is more to the point. you're halfway right in that this has motivated people to accept hierarchy as a means of social organizing. the dominance of hierarchal social structuring though, has achieved nothing of the kind. times of greater and lesser stability have not coincided with greater and lesser centralization. if anything they seem to be unrelated to each other. if anything, centralized hierarchy has been a motivating force behind premeditated de-stabilization.

but i do also completely disagree with this notion, of there being anything "evil" about any such thing as a "the world", other then the world of human society, and that every single thing wrong with that, has its roots in the human ego. more specifically the learned behavior of giving the ego free reign, without the discipline of logic, foresight, or reason.

2. ravi25

ravi25 Guest

I would like to mention here that there are certain individuals who have attempted to lead the ideal of a moneyless life citing your reasons as well. Daniel James Shellabarger (known as Daniel Suelo), and Mark Boyle are such activists in this field.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i believe that currency was one of the things that enabled mankind to form civilized societies. i also believe that mankind can transcend currency. the use of currency is just a stepping stone, rather than the desired destination.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Have you been watching Star trek? (not ridiculing you, that series does a great job of showing a possible future for mankind where they don't have to worry about their income). Of course it is 'just' scifi, and there is little chance of our current society to advance to a point were we will abolish loans and currency, at least not anytime soon, but it shows an inspiring philanthropic possibility.

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

When they play poker,as they do in Next Generation, what do they play for?

I don't think I recall money being mentioned in the older series, but later on they had the Ferengi, who were certainly into wealth.

6. BlackBillBlake

7. Asmodean

The Ferengi are not part of mankind ;) And their greed and obsession with wealth and their way of handling an economy was seen as archaic by the average human in the star trek universe.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like money. :)
    Gimme gimme gimme =D

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

the world is an evil place ? I don't think so , Hoo man .

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

neither more nor less then WE make it, by how we live in it.

people throw around this phrase "the world" as if it needed no explanation. well i'm sorry. it does.

do they mean the mineral substrate of the planet? i can find no evil there.
    i see no evil in trees. there was a shrub for a while. but his term in office expired.

there is only one context in which there is evil, and there's only one species this planet is home to, that is about.

11. BlackBillBlake

Bit like City of London and Wall Street bankers then.

12. Asmodean

I'm not sure if the average human already perceives them as archaic.

13. BlackBillBlake

They (average humans) should educate themselves about crypto currencies.

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

well, not recently. i do remember an episode where they came across some people that had been cryogenically frozen for several hundred years. one of them had been very wealthy and was quite upset to know that the bank no longer existed, and the money that he had was no longer worth anything anymore. the guy just couldn't wrap his head around the fact that money no longer had any value because .. it was not needed.

1 person likes this.
  15. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Money is only a symbol of credit.

I believe ownership and credit are two major concepts contributing to the divisive mind.

2 people like this.
  16. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Credit is also discrediting.

17. Asmodean

I recall that one too! I think that is a really old one from The next generation.

edit: I guess not that old if you followed the original series too (I didn't) :p

18. BlackBillBlake

The original series was first on TV when I was young teenager. At the time it was groundbreaking and even my dad was into it. I liked TNG and Voyager. DS9 not so much.

My credentials as a Trekkie:)

19. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Money is bad.

20. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Everytime I see this thread title I see " As long as monkey exists, the world will be an evil place."

[​IMG]

2 people like this.