As Long As It Doesn't Hurt Others?

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by TheSamantha, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Rhydwyn the Green

Rhydwyn the Green Members

"Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee." John Donne

2. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

They may not know, but you will. Eventually it will corrupt your mind if you acknowledge and consider it a hurtful act. I suppose it depends on how morally acceptable the action is... but if you have to ponder that far into it, that's a bit much I think. Especially if it's an action you consider taking towards another human being.

When a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear, does it still make a sound?
    Perhaps. But either way, when you go to look it will still be on the forest floor.

3. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I once heard a tree fall in a forest. Walking around and the next thing there's this massive THUD*&%!

Had a look around for it, but didn't see fuck all. So maybe we should also call into question the trees that fall and ARE heard, maybe they don't bloody exist either.

4. Spagelo

Spagelo Members

In hurting your own character, you will invariably degrade your mind into one that exercises negative influence.

wilsjane and Deidre like this.
  5. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Peeping
    I know I replied to this a couple years ago but I think I have a slightly more developed philosophy in life these days & since the thread's been revitalized I'll share.

Wether it's peeping, cheating, molesting, wiping one's ass with any symbolic iconography, or whatever other uncivilized perversions a depraved mind can contrive, it's all about a lack of respect. Respecting other folks ideas, personal spaces, their lives in general is what distinguishes us from animals. Don't get me wrong it exists in a rudimentary way among animals but it's more a respect built on mutual survival,.The strong provide & the weaker respect them for it.

We can build respect along grander lines & that is what helps keep us human. Instinct is a handy tool in certain circumstances but wisdom tempers it into a finely honed blade & teaches us how to cut with it.

wilsjane likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Even if something we do doesn’t have a direct harmful effect on someone else, if it’s unhealthy in some way, we stand to hurt ourselves and no matter what we think, what we do or don’t do sends a ripple effect into the world. Even if someone doesn’t know about something, say their partner is cheating, even what you don’t know can still hurt you. Because that person isn’t staying in the relationship totally informed. So just how I see it.

wilsjane likes this.
  7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Everything that we do in life has consequences and when we do bad things their are always victims, even if the victim is ourself.

8. Astray

Astray Visitor

In time they may get hurt knowing what you have done.
    Firing a gun at a person does not hurt them until the bullet reaches them.

McFuddy likes this.