As an atheist, do you still “acknowledge” Jesus Christ?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Aug 19, 2022.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The amount of data that references Ahsoka is minuscule compared to the data available for Constantine. We have many sources for the edicts and results of what Constantine did independent of the Roman Catholic Church.

2. MeAgain

Thanks for clarifying that.
    I'm not blaming individuals per se, for promoting Christianity through violent (and other) means. I'm saying it was an orchestrated policy of the church et al.
    Okay non-theists. They aren't opposed to theism, they just don't believe in it?
    Sorry I don't follow this line: "Denying a n unproven fact isn't the same as denying or not believing in God: Why not? Are you saying that the existence of God is a proven fact? If not how is denying an unproven fact different from denying an unproven God?

I also don't follow your claim that I'm setting up a straw man argument. A straw man argument attempts to refute an argument by setting up a completely different proposition. You seem to be saying I'm over simplifying your argument (reductio absurdum) that a "hard" atheists must be able to prove the non existence of God. I seem to be doing this by comparing those who deny the existence of Bigfoot to those who deny the existence God. Thus setting up a straw man.
    So I'll restate my argument.
    Now, suppose I'm walking along, minding my own business, and I come upon a meeting of God believers. They see me coming and invite me to participate in their expression of their belief in God. They're looking at religious texts, singing religious songs, relating stories of revelations, etc.
    If I fail to stop and participate with them, and claim I don't believe in God, I would then be called by them a soft non-theist.

But if I did stop and assert, "Well you know guys, there is no scientific proof that God exists," by asserting my disbelief I become a hard non-theist, and now I have to prove that there is no God in the entire universe.

This would be a demand to prove a negative.
    There are two ways to prove a negative, one is by claiming that the proof is impossible. Certainly it is impossible to prove that God doesn't exist as I would have to search every inch of the entire universe and beyond and someone could always claim that I missed that spot over there.
    The other is by claiming that there is lack of evidence to support the initial claim that God exists.
    Science takes the stand that there is a lack of evidence.
    However, someone may claim that "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," to which no reply can be made except that that aphorism can be applied to any concept at all, and if we accept it in the light of God, we must accept a belief in any creature or concept that can be devised by the human mind. They all must be true as we can always claim that "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

Now if that is still a straw man argument please explain to me how it is.
    So in Alice's wonderland the theist, who makes an extraordinary claim that there is a God is not making an assertion that must be proven, the guy that doesn't believe him is?
    Okay I'm going to make an assertion: There is no...geez what can I say that isn't a straw man? Can I say there aren't any Reptilians or would that be a straw man? Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time trying to disprove that there are Reptilians.
    So now that I've asserted that there are no Reptilians I'm expected to review and disprove all the evidence for Reptilians that every idiot in the world ever thought up?
    Sounds like the Republican tactic known as Swift Boating. Claim Kerry was a coward by throwing out all kinds of bullshit then after he asserts that it's untrue they expect him to waste his time to "prove" he wasn't a coward.
    Oh, I see. I can't make a definite claim. I have to say no convincing evidence of God existing has ever been found. Implying that sometime, somewhere, somehow convincing evidence of God existing may be found by someone. Therefore I can't say God doesn't exist.
    Same with bigfoot, the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, and reptillians, there is no convincing evidence that they exist so I can't say they don't otherwise I have to prove it.

If my wife asks me if her car can reach 300 mph, I can't say no, because then I'd have to blow up the engine proving it can't. I have to say there is no convincing evidence that it can reach 300 mph but it may be able to if it falls off a very high cliff.

Gotcha. I had thought that was what I said when I said:
    "There are two ways to prove a negative, one is by claiming that the proof is impossible. Certainly it is impossible to prove that Bigfoot doesn't exist as I would have to search every inch of the entire world and someone could always claim that I missed that spot over there.
    The other is by claiming that there is lack of evidence to support the initial claim that Bigfoot exists.
    Science takes the stand that there is a lack of evidence."

I should have said there is there is no convincing evidence to support the initial claim that Bigfoot exists.

3. MeAgain

I'm familiar with Christopher Hitchens. He has his views.

4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Good thinking. Keep it in mind next time you talk about how inherently violent "Christians" are. Most Christians wouldn't harm a fly.
    Right. It mighet even cause us to wonder if our understanding might be false. But it doesn't necessarily mean that either.
    If the shoe fits, wear it!
    You can believe anything you want, doesn't matter to me, but I'll go over this again because I like to follow the idea myself.
    Panpsychism is a metaphysical concept, incapable of being verified or refuted. As such, it might be true., and you can believe it if you want. It just seems inconsistent with your insistence on "mountains" and "tons" of evidence to believe in historical figures.
    In regards to the Tibetan Encyclopedia quote, I would appreciate if you would provide a link to that as the encyclopedia is pretty large.
    It doesn't. In fact it supports those. What it is saying is that without such a belief, life would be meaningless and without a belief in rewards and punishments for our conduct, morality would be in danger. My atheist friends would disagree.

No, I think you're right about Catholicism and mainline Protestantism (and certainly evangelical Protestantism on that point. I personally suspect that after the death of their presumptive messiah, the disciples were in crisis, having staked their lives on the belief He was the messiah prophesied in the Old Testament. After he was executed as a common criminal, they had to go back to the drawing board and come up with passages to explain how that could happen. Mark contains no genealogy for Jesus, but Matthew and Luke each have one which is inconsistent with the other. And they each have different nativity stories, which have in common that He was born in Bethlehem, the city of David. They got Him there by different routes, but they had to get Him there to fulfill the prophecy.

5. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The Edicts of Ashoka have survived for more than two milleniums, and exist to the present day.

Edicts of Ashoka - Wikipedia.

Major Rock Edicts - Wikipedia

Tishomingo likes this.
  6. MeAgain

I never said Christians were inherently violent, I said Christianity is based on the Old Testament, which has very violent parts, and Christianity has a very violent history and parts of Christian theology does harm to the psyche. I never said anything about individual Christians, except Constantine.
    The validity of historical figures has little to do with philosophical concepts. No inconsistency, you're comparing apples to oranges.
    I have no idea where this quote comes from or what the context is. It's obvious that the speaker of this quote is not considering the abolition of craving for its own sake. Not considering wanting to better one's present life, the lives of others around them, and future generations regardless of what happens after death. I hope you are not trying to tell me that this particular quote somehow destroys all Buddhist concepts.

Buddhism is not cut and dried like Christianity, it is in constant flow, concepts are constantly being debated and the questioning of those concepts is actively encouraged bringing about many interpretations. Each individual is expected to find the true meaning on their own.

In addition, as I stated before, it has many levels. The quote you posted may have been in the context of local beliefs (as Buddhism is entangled with Vedic thought), or may be a lower level of understanding. It's hard to know taken out of context.

And as I said Buddhism has many interpretations and ideas but little to no dogma, other than the concept of change, impermanence, and emptiness which actually negate dogma.
    Buddhism is designed as a method for discovering truth on your own.

For example Karma could be true, or if we consult Nargajuna in the Mūlamadhyamakakārikā, we find he refutes it.

7. MeAgain

8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Of course he does. Which of his views about Buddhism do you agree/disagree with, and why? Do you agree with his statement re Buddhis: "A faith that despises the mind and the free individual , that preaches submission and resignation, and that regards life as a poor and transient thing is ill-equipped for self-criticism? Why or why not?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

You seem to be saying that we must have mountains of evidence for the existence of historical figures but not when it comes to "philosophical concepts" such as panspychism. Why is that? Pansychism is a statement about fact and Physical reality: what happens to us after death.I No one can know that. Yet you seem to believe it. Why? The distinction you draw, making it an apples and oranges comparison, is simply self-serving. (oh, I forgot. You have no self, or are working on it, although from time to time outside observers might detect an ego.

10. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Not at all. The quote comes from the Tibetan Buddhist Encyclopedia on its website. Sorry I didn't include the link. I thought I had, but that's the trouble with having to deal with such a morass of material in a short time The quotation expresses the belief that if there is no payback in an afterlife for good and bad deeds in this one, morality would be in danger, and that there is indeed payback in the next life. Do you agree?
    Again, you overgeneralize about your straw man Christianity. Still stuck in the Middle Ages. You'll find that Christian theology in the seminaries of mainline churches meets your description of Buddhism. Try Process Theology. Change is the very essence of its ideas about God and the Universe.

Do you or do you not believe in pan-psychism? Earlier, you said you did. If you do, do you believe that the deeds in past lives affect the reborn lives through the principle of karma? what context would make the answer to that question easier or more difficult for you. And do you believe that concern about karma affecting rebirth after death is a motivating factor for many practicing Buddhists in Asia if not the coastal U.S. intelligentsia? Indeed, the Tibetan Buddhist Encylopedia goes on at length to provide evidence of rebirth, citing e.g, the case of Bridey Murphy. Rebirth in Buddhism - Tibetan Buddhist Encyclopedia What next? Carol Burnett's Out on a Limb? Here I think we're entering territory comparable to accounts of alien abductions and Bigfoot, People are free to believe such things if they want, but shouldn't feel superior about it.

You seem willing to acknowledge that there are different levels of understanding in Buddhism, but won't do the same for Christianity. Is that simply because the low-level ones make the most noise, or got violent about it back in the day?

But the truth uncovered seems to include dharma, non-self, karma, rebirth, samasara, the Threee Refuges, The Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, etc. Amazing!
    Same seems to be true in Christianity, apart from the Catholic dogmatists or Evangelical inerrantists. For example Resurrection could be true, or if we consult Bishop Spong in Resurrection: Myth or Reality, he refutes it.

11. MeAgain

I don't really follow Christopher Hitchens. I've seen a few Youtube videos and maybe rad one of his books. I don't remember.

As far as the quote you provided, I's like to see the context, otherwise no I don't agree with it, but I'd have to see what he was talking about.

12. MeAgain

Because historical figures are (or were) physical entities, philosophical concepts are mental exercises aimed at understanding the world and our relationship of the world.

Pansychism is one explanation for the nature of reality. That's all. I never said I believe in it, I said Buddhism is a form of panspychism.
    But that's at one level at another Buddhism clearly states that reality is beyond all rational thought or conception.

13. MeAgain

I understand the large amount of stiff we're posting. No I don't agree.
    I guess you went to different Catholic classes and churches then I did. I read a little of Process Theology. Never heard of it before. It sounds rather confusing from the little I just read:
    The divine has a power of persuasion rather than coercion. (The persuasion to be good or go the eternal damnation.)
    (All) events have both a physical and mental aspect. (I would like that explained further.)
    ... God has a will in everything, but not everything that occurs is God's will. (See above.)
    God contains the universe but is not identical with it. (Dualism.)
    God is changeable (that is to say, God is affected by the actions that take place in the universe) over the course of time. However, the abstract elements of God (goodness, wisdom, etc.) remain eternally solid. (What?)
    Charles Hartshorne believes that people do not experience subjective (or personal) immortality, but they do have objective immortality because their experiences live on forever in God, who contains all that was. (See above.)
    Dipolar theism is the idea that God has both a changing aspect (God's existence as a Living God) and an unchanging aspect (God's eternal essence). (That's convenient!)
    I don't think I said I believe in Pansychism, I really looked and can't find that statement made by me. Could you point out where I said that so I can see what I was talking about?
    I agree that concern about karma affecting rebirth after death is a motivating factor for many practicing Buddhists all over the world.
    Oh, I agree there are different levels of Christianity.
    Any understandings we have, short of ultimate revelation, are based upon explanations based on analogy and metaphor. And some of the things you just posted are methods, moral codes, etc.
    Well you are of the opinion that Christianity is not dogmatic and that Buddhism is a religion. If you want to claim that there are forms of Christianity that don't accept "normal" Christian theology, that's fine by me.

14. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

It depends on who you ask. The Old Covenant is the one made between God and the Israelites.via Moses on Mt.Sinai. It required obedience to the letter of God's law in exchange for His support and protection. The Jews would be blessed by worldly benefits or cursed by worldly misfortunes (war, famine,disease, etc) according to their obedience or disobedience. The Law concerned was not just the Ten Commandments but other provisions of the Torah, which the Pharisees argued included the Oral Torah not written down but logically derived from the written one.

Jesus as presented by Paul and the Gospels is presenting a New Covenant. Paul's notion of salvation through faith and grace was the germ of the idea that reached full expression in the Sermon on the Mount. You have heard it said..., but I say unto you. Turn the other cheek-- how violent is that? Marcus Borg, in Conflict, Holiness and Politics in the Teachings of Jesus and Oklahoma Pastor Robin Meyers in Saving Jesus From The Church: portray Jesus as something a subversive, challenging the purity laws that many Jews thought were central to the Torah, and to preserving their separate identity as a people in light of the Greco-Roman challenge. Jesus flagrantly made contact with lepers and corpses and hung out with "unclean" tax collectors and the dregs of society, healed outside the priesthood, and challenged the authority of the Temple, and that's what got him nailed up, Some believers in the New Covenant go all the way, but most pick and choose about what they consider still binding in Mosaic Law.

15. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Claims about literal rebirth after death are not mental exercise. They are claims about reality, and thus subject to the demands of verification or refutation by evidence.

Pansychism is one explanation for the nature of reality. That's all. I never said I believe in it, I said Buddhism is a form of panspychism.
    But that's at one level at another Buddhism clearly states that reality is beyond all rational thought or conception.[/QUOTE]
    Well what do you believe about panpsychism? A mental exercise? or a claim about what happens to us after death?

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Now you're catching on. Progressive Christians view the Bible from an historical metaphorical perspective. I became a Christian as a result of a chain of thought triggered by the passage in Genesis that said humans are created in the image an likeness of God. Do I think that literally? Doe God have eyes and a nose,fingers and hands/ I don't think so It's a metaphor. And then it goes on to tell us about Adam and Eve and the apple. Literal? No, metaphors. Etc. John's gospel even satirizes biblical literalism. Jesus tell Nichodemus he must be born again, and Nich asks "You mean I have to crawl back into my mother's womb? And Jesus tells the woman at the well He'll give her living water, and she asks "where's your bucket"! Much of the Bible is myth,, but I use the term in the sense used by Joseph Campbell and Karen Armstrong: Metaphor conveying truths that are more effectively communicated that way than in more prosaic language. If that's how you use rebirth, I agree with you.

But when you say anything which can't be proven by clear and convincing evidence is "myth", you're misusing the term, at least according to Joseph Campbell in The Power of Myth."Myth" is not simply someting that's false, non-factual, fictional or unproven. Myths are metaphor.
    Good, because that's all I'm claiming. But the idea that Buddhism is a religion is also shared by large many of scholars in the field, who find functional and cluster approaches more useful than structural ones. The Buddha mentions the 31 realms of existence that one can be reborn in after death in many of his sermons, and references to supernatural beings and the Thirty-One realms of existence that one can be reborn in after death throughout many of his sermons, and references to supernatural beings are found in his first discourse. The Three Refuges, Four Noble Truths, Five Precepts, Eightfold Path, etc., qualify as codes as most scholars use the term. The sangha is a community. And there are certainly lots of rituals in Buddhism as it was and is practiced in Asian environs. All that's missing are a deity or central supernatural figures, but many scholars don't consider them indispensable. Prpthero, God Is Not One; Houston Smith, World Religions; Berkson, Cultural Literacy for Religion (The Great Courses).

I'm also claiming that I think, based on an assessment of the available evidence, that Jesus is likely to have been a real person. Most scholars in the field agree with me. This is not the same as saying there is proof or "mountains of evidence". It's a judgment call based on the kinds of considerations I use in buying a used car--is the dealer shifty-eyed, or too zealous in selling the extended warranty. The last one traded with finally asked me in exasperation, "What can I sy to make you realize this is a good deal?" That said it all as far as I was concerned. I walked out!

So I think that's all I have to say. This is, I swear, my last post on the subject. I think we've said it all and need to get on with our lives.

17. MeAgain

So the New Covenant is connected to the old Covenant, or it would just be a covenant.

18. MeAgain

Well what do you believe about panpsychism? A mental exercise? or a claim about what happens to us after death?[/QUOTE]But claims of rebirth rely on the concept of mind as reality, a claim for historical figures relies on physical matter.
    It has many forms in,Western and Eastern philosophies and some scientific theories such as
    Conscious realism, and Integrated information theory.
    Some may believe in rebirth, some not.

I believe it has certain merits, but I withhold committing to any system of thought completely.

19. MeAgain

Sorry, I had thought it was common knowledge that our interpretations of reality are all based on metaphors and analogies.

I thought we had just agreed that everything is metaphor and analogy?
    Sure, a large large many of scholars share a lot of things. A large number of scholars believed in an Earth centered universe, the four humours, phlogiston, miasma, the luminiferous aether, etc.

Well I hope we, and anyone else reading this, learned something, found some food for thought, or at least were amused for some small time in their life!
    :)