Art Speigelman

Discussion in 'Books' started by sharon, Jan 19, 2005.

1. sharon

sharon Member

I'm reading Maus by Art Speigelman at the moment and am so impressed by how effective the comic medium is in depicting such a serious and important story.
    Has anybody else read him? And, if so, can they recommend other titles, either by him or by writers/artists who are also working to convey a serious message through the comic medium?

2. alex714

alex714 To the Left

maus is amazing, just amazingly powerful isnt it

its the only work ive read by him, i know he recently (last year) published some new book on bush/new world order and such. i dont know the title though. anyways, it got great reviews.

id go to some major book store and check out the graphic novel section if you want to find more 'serious' comic novels like maus.

3. sharon

sharon Member

Hi Alex,
    I finished it last night and think that it's such a well concieved idea. Who would ever have thought that portraying Nazis as cats and Jews as mice and framing them in such a small format would prove to be such a powerful storytelling device?
    Will check out his book on Bush.

4. The Beige Bomber

The Beige Bomber Member

I have both Maus books, and they are amazing. He has a very bold style in my opinion. A true artist. I also have his 9/11 book. It's really big, and seems to be fashioned off turn of the century comics. It's pretty cool. There are tons of other graphic novels that tell mature, developed stories. Try Watchmen by Alan Moore, and check out the art in Sin City by Frank Miller.

5. alex714

alex714 To the Left

i know, its one of the best modern-day allegories. i cant say enough about maus, something youll never forget.