Art or Vandalism?

Discussion in 'Art' started by MexicanFlowerChild, May 9, 2004.

1. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

i think gang signs are not art. everything else could be

2. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

Some people see that as a style of art, though, I see no art in gang culture. Art should be a materialization of thought or emotions, but encouraging violence is a waste of paint.

3. serra

serra tentacle girl

the gang stuff is irritating, and ugly a lot of the time.

but i think that if these people can build buildings and put up signs everywhere and bombard our mental environment with all the metal pollution (commercials, noise and light pollution, TV, radio, traffic, ARGHH!) then the people should be able to cause a rukus if we want. how come mcdonalds can put their name everywhere i look? because they have money. i don't want to see a commercial when i am going to the washroom. what crap. if they can write their meaningless crap everywhere then i proudly wave my sharpie in the air!!

4. TheStaticHippy

TheStaticHippy Member

Real Graffiti is not art. It is Vandalism. Vandalism is at the heart of graffiti culture. Art is something some one pays for and is a waste of ing money. Writers who say “Oh, graffiti’s not vandalism, its art" just want too seem cool. There is no graffiti without vandalism. End of discussion.

5. **PsYcHoDeLiC**

**PsYcHoDeLiC** Member

i was a graffiti artist for a few years...at first i started with the gay little 'tags' but i gradually developed into a talented graffiti artist...and to be honest where i am graffiti is about nothing but gaining a rep amongst the bigger writers...
    now that im out of it i can see how stupid it is...real grafiti artists use legal walls...as the use of a legal surface is what makes it art all the rest is just to get a name...x

6. 0817

0817 Member

Graffiti is Art, all other forms of art are Vandalism.

7. ghost mouse

ghost mouse Member

Haven't tooken the time to read much of the other posts but imo.. if your tagging on somebody private property(by that i mean tagging on somebody's house) or if your just throwing up a "gang" tag then its vandalism imo.but if your taking out those bilboards and basicly any sort of advertising space and puttin up something well thought out then its art

blank walls=blank canvases

8. trippedelia

trippedelia wow

burner graffers are off their head, sooooooo much talent has gone unnoticed for so long by the majority of the public, but i guess thats why the art has stayed so genuine

9. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Everything is art, and most art is vandalism.

10. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

That's the most stupid thing I've heard anyone say in a long time.

11. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Member

i think that art should be free at all. theres a clear line between art and vandalism. art is art. vandalism is vandalism. if you vandalize somebodies property thats vandalizm, scrawling garbage, rude comments, gang symbols and so on. but to actually take the time to produce something beautiful is art. permission or not.

[​IMG]
    that is so beautiful to me. it invokes images of death. art? yes! graffiti? no!
    illegal? probibally not

example 2
    [​IMG]
    Illegal? yes! Graffiti? Yes! art? you tell me. ugly? no.

12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Member

[​IMG]
    Illegal? Yes! beautiful? yes!
    [​IMG]
    illegal? i dont know i cant tell. my question is does its illegality make it any less beautiful. does it give this boy any less talent? does he deserve less credit?

For my last example i bring you art.
    [​IMG]
    Graffiti artist? YES! illegal? no! art? FUCK YEAH!

if the last one was illegal it would be just as much art. how could you call that vandalism? do artists vandalize canvas?

13. longhairchief

longhairchief Member

Some things are so ugly that they look way much better with graffiti on…
    Unfortunately usual graffiti are so stupid and aggressive that I believe they should be banned…
    I sometimes think ‘if one has the money to buy the spray can, how come he couldn’t do it in piece of paper and simply attach it to the building’…
    ‘Vote for XZ’, ‘I hate YX’ ‘I love ZY’ ‘We are mean’ ‘yazx’ and such stupid things are not art for sure…
    Some graffiti are nice – that is true… But it is not that often…

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Member

the art of baffling people

15. out_in_the_sticks

out_in_the_sticks Member

in my opinion, its definitely a welcomed art-form as long as its not gang related becuz of the obvious reasons such as hate and violence and its not on privately owned property that isnt a chain lol if its a chain store or business then by all means paint it up its nice to see the art everywhere especially when its got some meaning behind it like quotes and even sometimes just peoples names as long as your not seeing the same thing everywhere you turn :p keep it original :p

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i absolutely don't aggree that "being done to create a reaction" makes anything "art". art criticism seems to say that, but that's not my problem either. it also doesn't rule out that it could be, just absolutely has nothing to do with to me, whether or not it is.

whether or not its vandalism doesn't have that much to do with it either. i would say that thoughtlessness is never innocent, so that is a factor. but vandalism or not doesn't automaticly make it thoughtless either.

and for that matter reactions, i think if its something, says something in words or pictures that MAKES YOU THINK, then its doing something positive, and like wise if it makes an otherwise dead, and thus crime inviting space less dead, then its doing something positive too. the only thing i would find objectionable is when/if it defaces something actually useful (or ancient and sacred that is lost that way and cannot be recouvered as a resault), just to put someone's name or a bunch of gang crap, or express hateful or fanatical prejudices.

also whether it is 'prettier' or 'uglier' (yes, granted, subjectively to me) then what it replaces/overwrites, is for me a major deciding factor, which gets back to the thing of being considerate and avoiding thoughtlessness.

=^^=
    .../\...

17. 0817

0817 Member

Interestingly, graffiti in the second example looks more like art than the image on the electronic screen does.

18. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Member

thats a billboard

19. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

There are many very talented and creative people out there who don't have the money to get into the art scene which, like so much of our society, is exclusive of those who don't have money. If they pick a place like under a bridge or something....someplace that would otherwise be just boring concrete and they put the work and creativity into it.....they are doing a great thing. The thing that appeals to me about good graffiti art is that it expresses the idea that creativity cannot be crushed by poverty.

20. Goth Scream

Goth Scream Member

It's pure art..wherever it is made..if the way they made it is like handwriting, it's not even graffiti..vandalism?depends.. it usually destroys the simple, boring look of the walls..but if it's someone's wall..it is illegal but yet much better than breaking the person's windows and at least it expresses something..if it's done on a public building which has a wonderful architecture it ruins the view in a way, and is disrespectful..but no matter if i look at it as pure art or simply vandalism, i still accept it and admire it.. and do it since i have some skills i guess..:)