armpit hair

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Little flower, Jun 28, 2005.

1. juicyxxx

juicyxxx Member

sort it out mate don't judge what you don't understand....

beauty therapist don't judge, critisise or look upon people thinking they are ugly...

2. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

ok, I thought I would try to find a cool book for pre teens about living natural, as in not shaving, as I have found some good books on viewing menses in a positive light instead of the way society does. I couldnt find one so if anyone knows of one, let me know.

So, I just asked dd yesterday, "Why do you think women/girls shave their legs and pits?" God she is so much wiser, lightyears ahead of where I was at her age!
    She said "because they think it makes them look better to other people, which is stupid."

When searching for a book yesterday, I came across a book on "personal hygiene" for girls which addressed shaving. As if body hair is a hygiene issue. :confused:

3. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Its not the people who do the "beauty therapy" that bug me. It the people who decide that "beuticians" are now called "beauty therapists", "barbers" are now "hair stylists." "Employees" are now "associates".

In addition to calling a make-over "therapy", this nonscense of "barber" vs. "stylist" is a further indication of the importance society puts on image over substance.

4. Madseamstress

Madseamstress Member

Gotta Shave! Just personal choice.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Thank you, Bumble. A freind of mine had breast cancer about 6 years ago, and right after her surgery, she called me and said, "Throw away your razor, don't use antiperspirant, either!" I said, "Josie, I'm the hippy, remember? I got rid of all that stuff years ago, when you made fun of me for being dirty." We had a good laugh about this (that's the great thing about OLD good freinds, you can laugh, even when one of you is in the middle of Chemo) now she's the "dirty hippy." ;) She also was able to breastfeed the baby the doctors told her she could never have after Chemo and Radiation, on the uneffected side.

LOL! Hey, I like lipstick. I have pretty lips, but I don't shave them.

6. superNova

superNova Member

it's been pretty well established that antiperspirant and etc. do not cause cancer anymore so than peanut butter and watching tv, sooooo ;)

as far as it being a "hygiene" issue, i think that's based on the fact that hair under the arms tends to "hang on" to odor and make it more difficult to stay all pretty smelling. clearly this is not a big issue because men don't shave and have way more hair. i akin this to the circumcision debate - you will always have people say it's dirty not to, as well as people who say it doesn't really make a difference.

i am a shaver for the most part - always under the arms, and i have gone through times of not shaving my legs, but it never really did too much (i'm blonde with almost no body hair), but i just like the smooth feel myself :) to each her own!

7. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

a lot of people love the way I smell and I don't wear deodorant or shave. I think it depends on what you eat.

8. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

uhhuh exactly right!!
    & yea i'll vouch for ya smellin great :)
    bodyodor really is a matter of what you eat
    for instance, meat rotting in your intestines releases toxins which come out in your sweat..

i dont touchdeodorants or anything & literaly can burry mynose inmy armpit & take a huge wiff ..even if i dont shower for a week..& not have any hint of a bad smell..
    snifff..nope none..& yea im kinda a faitly hairy guy..

womens hairy pits would be no different
    ilike em :)

9. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

Sorry this thread is sooo long this might of been mentioned but there is a such thing as "natural" deodorant. I have this crystal stick you can buy at a health food store and it has mineral salts in it and you just get it wet and rub it on. I'm not quite sure how it works but it does.

10. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Almost all deodorants have aluminum in them too. I have been trying to find a natural deodorant that works well for some time now.

11. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

actualy it does work, but....
    me & anex used it & after awhile (we loved it at 1st) we got like this..scaly crusty horror ..turned out tobe some sorta form of yeast infection or somethin but just in the pits..& turned out tobe from using that

you do not need deodorant..especialy if u eat right
    clogginthe pores in your pits just makes u hotter & sweattier really
    your pits sweat more then anywhere else to keep you cool..hairs there to keepthe sweat there & cooling you..sweat does not smell bad if ueat right..
    if u cant sweat in the pits cause uclogged em withdoderant, the sweat comes out even more everywhere else..the sweat everywhere contains the same shit utry to cover in your pits just sprwad allover your body..

12. Crystalsatreehugger

Crystalsatreehugger Member

Maybe this has to do with showering like many 'hippies' don't seem to do so often, partly being on the road, and partly because I guess they don't like to. but my friends, and god I love them, but some of them stink. One is a vegetarian and her smell... well it smells natural but stomach turning. And I don't know if maybe I'm just so used to "fake" smells, something natural would want to make me weep sitting by her in a car. But then what is naturally (and not socially) necessary in terms of cleaning your body that would make such smell not so offensive? And is it just her phermones turning me off.

When I first went veggie I went without deodarant with no problem but then I started eating cheese and all my new found veggie foods I found (at first it was just salad because I didn't know what to eat) and poof I get stinky within a few hours of activity and I shower everyday.

So you tell me...

13. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

Smells- what is natural, what is acceptable....I think it's another thing society has shoved down our throats, to neutralize all odors and anything that doesnt smell like a flower must be dirty and smell bad.

14. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

ok funny story, when I went out to CO for nationals some sistas were complaining about their funky smell, so they sprayed themselves with artificial smelly stuff. Later on they started to complain about bugs bitting them. I may have got 1 bug bite the entire time i was out there.

15. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

This is sooo incredibly sad. I remember in 6th grade the girls picking on one girl who's mom wouldn't let her shave, and I took this as a hint and started shaving so they wouldn't notice that I didn't shave too. :(

16. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

It is sad how some of the girls are really cruel at this age. The major one in the 5th grade has a mom who is quite pre-occupied with her appearance, has a tanning bed, hair is always "perfect", make-up, etc. But I have never once seen her smile. She is one unhappy woman and her daughter bullies the girls at school about their clothing, shoes, appearance, etc. all the time. She has said her goal in life is to be a "professional cheerleader" :rolleyes: . So, the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Now most of the girls are bending to her dictatorship to try to be part of the "in" group. Seeing these girls change right before my eyes just makes me sick.:(

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

back to the crystal:
    I use one in rotation with some other option (I work in an office so I have to cloak my natural funkiness in a few ways) it's great for enroute touch ups (I noticed stress does in fact send stinky hormone flushes, and they will not go over well with the people I deal with for my job. It's hard for yuppies to trust stinky hippies.) before a meeting or some such.
    I don't use deo/neutralizer every day (I'd say 50-60 percent of the work time and rare on off time.) so there is no real build up of any sort.
    that's on full growth hair, no less.
    yeah, you can forego shaving and make the rent!

18. _jane_

_jane_ Member

I stopped shaving one year ago and now I feel sexier, and doesn't matter if my hair is dark and really visible! I found out somebody loving it and being striked by that way of look! And it is a great way to provoke, as a friend of mine says it is like to show your hairy sex, if you show your hairy pits, as they just refer to that! I go clubbing and while I'm dancing I love to show them and sometimes to lick my hair to provoke people!

19. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

my boyfriend loves it when i stop shaving. sometimes i just want to get out the wax and do everything though. i guess it makes me feel more.. motivated in a way. i feel at first comfortable when i don't shave or wax.. but then when i turn into a slob, shaving followed by a shower and a hair cut always seems to make me feel like i'm ready to contribute to the world again.

20. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

I thought the palms of your hands and the balls of your feet was where you sweat the most... I saw it on Popular Mechanics for Kids when I was like 9. Lol.