Arizona life

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Wildflower20, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Wildflower20

Wildflower20 Guest

Hi I live on the east coast and was thinking about in a few years or so moving to Arizona and was wondering what is it like in Arizona? Would you recommend it? Is there a big hippie community out there? :sunny:

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I tried to roof there one time --burnt me to a crisp before I got away! Altho,Flagstaff up in the mountains is forested and beautifull. If you live in the flat,expect a huge AC bill.

4. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

Live anywhere but Maricopa county. ANYWHERE.

You don't need to ask why, just trust me. Its good advice. Move to Pinal or Yavapai county.

Aside from that it'd be nice to have more hippies in Arizona

CurlyLemon likes this.
  5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I've been out to Phoenix a couple of times and thought it was pretty nice. Haven't seen much of the rest of Arizona.

not surprisingly, sun is very intense. I managed to get a sunburn in february on a cloudy day wearing sun block

people seem to be pretty friendly and polite, certainly much more so than east coast cities

I went to a shopping mall out there, and got a weird feeling like it's kind of taboo to go and do things on your own. maybe just my imagination

6. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

People are like Coyotes out here. They travel in packs. Nothing wrong with going out on your own though, in the right neighborhood of course.

7. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

phoenix is hell, but most of the rest of it is nice in varying degrees

some of the nicer towns like flagstaff and sedona and jerome and prescott have become less attractive through influx of persons

personally i'd like to live way up in the north, colorado river, vermillion cliffs, navajo reservation, etc.

8. Wildflower20

Wildflower20 Guest

Thankyou everyone will keep everything in mind youall had given me great info. And thankyou for given me heads up on the bad areas I really apreciate the honesty. On the eastcoast alot off people are snobs and it's true you do things on your own people look at you weird idk why though that's something I never understood. I love the ocean and would miss it but it's time to spread my wings and fly. Peace!

9. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

If you drive anywhere in AZ take lots of water with you. Even if you just need to fix a tire on the side of the road a gallon of water can save you. Arizona = arid zone ! desert rat

10. Sanctum

Sanctum Guest

11. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I have lived in Arizona for over 30 years. Like anywhere else, life here is what you make of it. There are good people and bad, good places and bad.

On the plus side, the geography is incredibly varied. From just about anywhere in the state, you can go from a blistering desert to cool forested mountains in just a couple hours' drive. Flagstaff, in the north, has 12,000 ft peaks and gets more snow than Buffalo, NY. Tucson, where I live, has the most southern skiing area in the entire United States about 45 minutes away. And everything in between.

There's just about any outdoor activity you could want. You can hike anywhere. I mentioned skiing. And if you want water activities, there are many lakes and of course Lake Powell and Lake Mead.

The people are quite varied, too. The Hispanic culture is very prevalent, especially the farther south in the state you go. Up north, there is a large Native population.

On the negative side, you do have to make your peace with the heat if you live in the desert. There's no getting around it. But that's how deserts are.

Politically, the state is extremely conservative overall. But you can still find pockets of liberalism, especially in Tucson and smaller cities like Flagstaff or Bisbee.

There is a lot of open space in Arizona. A lot. If you are used to the heavily populated East, seeing Arizona for the first time will be an eye-opener.

Phoenix is not too terribly different from any other large metro area. It has the same problems that any large city does, but it also has some fine cultural opportunities. But be aware ... Phoenix is an absolute inferno in the summer!

Come on out! We need more liberal folk here. :)

12. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

Granny Longhair , I would say you have painted a perty accurate pic. of Arizona . To any one coming hear for a visit for the first time I cant over stress the need to carry some water , and not hike or jog in the heat . Ever year the news has many stories of people that hike a trail in the summer heat and get sick or die .

13. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

So very true. People have died lying out beside their pool!

You always carry water when hiking, and in your car if you drive away from the city.

14. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I got a gal jug from wal mart , it costs about $1.75 to fill up at q-t with iced tea . It lasts a few hours when I am working out in the heat . Just after making the last post a guy died hiking the white tanks . Many people dont know how quickly the heat can get them .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tank_mountains

15. Cane Corso

Cane Corso Member

This thread is too quiet! There has to be more AZ members on this forum! Where are they all?

16. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

Hi Y'all :) I live in Jerome, Az. and aside from Bisbee have not found a higher concentration of hippies in the state. I moved out from Delaware four years ago and never looked back. It is incredibly inspiring as far as picturesque scenes and Jerome gets over a million tourists a year so it is like fishing in a stocked pond as far as selling my wares is concerned. The town has only 60 rooms so once the sun goes down Jerome empties and gets nice and quiet again. The locals come out and are a colorful tight knit family of very skilled artisans and entertainers. Could'nt ask for a better hand as I sit on my porch, sip local wine contemplate this amazing, fertile verde valley.

[​IMG]

17. Cane Corso

Cane Corso Member

honeysuckleblue, that sounds so idyllic! :sunny: I have actually been to jerome once, & tasted the local wines & browsed some of the shops. Really neat area, I bet it is fun to live there. The views were/are amazing.

18. MishArizona

MishArizona Guest

Arizona... The cities are hot and difficult to live in due to cost. The politics are extremely conservative in most areas. high concentration of Mormons and Mormon influences. High property taxes unless you live way out and off grid which also means hauling water or having an expensive well dug. The people are not particularly friendly unless they think you have something they want. Wages are low unless you work for the gov't or the mines. The people have very little manners and their work ethic stinks.

19. Cane Corso

Cane Corso Member

Well, you do make some good points there esp regarding the heat and low wages. Although i've not noticed a preponderance of mormons around. My property taxes are cheaper than any of the other states i've lived in. My auto insurance is also a LOT cheaper here in AZ as well. Also, fuel prices in AZ are usually cheaper than two thirds of the rest of the country. So there are some upsides to living here.

20. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

After coming from the east coast with bland scenery and too many people Jerome is a treat. It's really cool how many people have been here for a tiny little ghost town with only 500 residents. How long ago were you here CC?