Are you paranoid like me ?

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by user313, Jun 1, 2013.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm only paranoid of exactly this one thing: idiots who think they're doing the world a favor by being aggressively inconsiderate,
    whatever their ideology, belief, social or economic status or anything else.
    and why? because that's where fascism and tyranny come from.
    and tyranny is close enough to hell for me.
    aggressive inconsiderateness ISN"T "breaking the chain", aggressive inconsiderateness IS the chain!
    all the people who have done all the terrible things that are used as an excuse for it, were doing the same thing and thought they were "breaking it".
    just analyze it HONESTLY, it doesn't take rocket science. really.

and it isn't "this world" that there's a damd thing else evil in, then aggressive inconsiderateness and the narcissism, whether of a person, an ideology, a species, a country, a planet, or whatever, that motivates it.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My mate's paranoid (technically; "Delusional Disorder; Persecutory Type; DSM-5 297.1").
    We're surrounded by malevolent neighbors engaged in a vast criminal conspiracy (including her previous employer, because they know that she knows about all their secret tunnels), masterminded by our next door neighbor (who moved away a year ago, but no matter), who keep us under constant surveillance; subtly poisoning our foliage to improve their sight lines, and signalling our movements to each other via the street lights. Our house is bugged, phone's tapped, Internet hacked; they're tapped into our electrical service, stealing electricity. Malevolent people are constantly moving through our woods at night..."dragging things". They're stealing her irises and day lilies, rocks from our wall, trees from our woods. They're incrementally stealing our property; subtly moving the property markers, and moving the trees, fences, and telephone poles with them so no one without her heightened perception and intuition would notice. They're beaming ultrasonic waves at us. She's in mortal danger from everyone surrounding us, because they know that she's aware of their activities.
    To try and help her feel safe, I've;
    Installed motion-sensor floodlights around the house. They didn't help.
    I installed a half-dozen security cameras around the house; they know how to defeat them.
    I've re-keyed all the locks; malevolent people are still getting into our house when we go to the store.
    I've taken the survey plat, flagging tape, and a 150' tape measure, and walked off the property lines with her; I'm apparently too goddamned stupid to read a tape measure.
    I've gotten another survey ($$$$); they're wrong/part of the conspiracy.
    She wants firearms to defend herself when they come to get her. Yeah, right. That's NOT gonna happen.
    She's getting therapy, and she's on medication, which has dampened her 'Linda Blair' moments when she explodes on me for not joining in on her crazy...but she's still prone to watching the woods all night with binoculars, or wandering about the neighborhood investigating the strange lights she sees, blithering about rays being beamed at us, or getting in screaming matches with neighbors.
    If anyone knows of any real, empirically-based strategies for dealing with real, bona-fide paranoia, I'd love to read about it. Nothing I've done so far has made the least bit of difference.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

trust i think is over rated, and cannot be forced. any attempt to do so, and this is entirely understandable to me, will be more likely then not to have the opposite effect.
    and while all or nearly all, of the technologies she fears, exist in whole or in part, statistical reality is that economically they are far beyond the economic reach of mundane everyday bussybodies. people rearanging trees in the middle of the night is not a phenomina i have as yet in this life observed, but stones in walls and otherwise, have many ways of being re-arranged, with and without the aid of human intervention, and of course there is a malicious hair some children and adolescents, get up their nether orofice to create gratuitous annoyance. although spray paint is far less effort then the rearranging, let alone the prying loose of rocks in a wall. small furry creatures also rearrange things for their comfort and convenience much as we do, tho generally on a more modest scale. and then there's well, there are always people, for whatever position or perspective anyone takes, there are always someone "out to get" anyone who takes that position, even if it is the position of trying to not take one at all. you know there ARE fanatics who always hate and harrass anyone who doesn't pretend exactly the same as themselves, about the very things no one actually knows anyway. so most of it is, of course possible. but then there's this reality thing, statistics, that the percentage of maliciousness, being seldom as high, as effects from other causes, may result in it seeming.

so we may look at other's fears, and while we may see them as extreme and exagerated, it would be eqully illogical to ever assume them to be entirely without some, however much less exagerated, basis. no idea what advice is good, but yeah, there are people motivated by warped experiences themselves, who themselves make the world a more dangerous place, who see only threats to themselves, and never the threats to others created by how they react to them.

they gave us trump and an out of whack fascism that even media too often passes off as conservative while conserving nothing. cultural trends are a thing to be legitimately "paranoid" of, even if, as i too believe, a universe "out to get us" is more then a wee bit of an exageration.