are you new to the family?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by ocean rainbow, May 21, 2004.

1. ocean rainbow

ocean rainbow Member

it took me a long time to understand what i was doing at the gathering. when i started really working alot i got it for myself. since then i always feel like i'm flowing with the spirit of the family. rainbow is alot of different things to alot of different people. what i have found is that the more i put in the more i get back. now my wife and i are about to have a baby. we are so excited to be able to raise our own child in an atmosphere where people are there for one another, where the schisms babylon has dressed us in melt away. this is my heartsong to you all. if you come to the gathering looking for a party, you will probably have a blast. but if you come looking for utopia and want to create utopia, you can! :D and i can't think of anything i'd rather do than create that with you, for ourselves and our children. love and hugs.

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i'm new , and ya family and gathering touch my
    heart more and more , faster and faster

i'll hold all i am given , so ,
    of what i give , what's that ? i really don't
    know , so so , dis or dat an' a dit dit

3. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

HO! As I said, it took me three years. My focus at my first few Gatherings was pretty much staying in as altered a mental state as I could mannage:eek: But after a while, I realized that a party this good, that changed my overall outlook on life more than anything that had happened before, other than possibly the first time I had sex, was worth doing the work nesecarry to make it happen again. I don't mind the kids comming to look for a big party in the woods...kids party a lot more than some of us old farts...they are young, their bodies can take it (Hey, but we party with more skill and artistry;) ) I'm working for them, too. See y'all in California!

4. brothersun

brothersun Member

I can't wait to go. I never been to one, but this year i'll make sure i get there somehow. Me and my backpack. Peace...

5. paix

paix Senior Member

ditto :D

I've only been to one regional, a handfull of potlucks and a buttload of drum circle, but me and my backpack can't wait!

6. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

I've never been to one either, and was never part of the family. I think I always have been part of the family though, just never realized it. Just typing about this is getting me teary eyed, I'm so hyped to be there. I expect to see all of your beautiful faces there!:)

7. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

HO!
    Yeah!!
    Don't forget to Bee!!
    :)

8. BohemianSuperhero

BohemianSuperhero Member

...That is so beautiful. :)
    I've always dreamed of a place like the gathering, where people from all across the country come together in love to pray for peace and have a great time together. I almost cried the first time a friend told me that a place like that actually EXISTS and showed me her pictures from last year to prove it. :D I'm so excited- I can't believe I'll be leaving in less than a month! I know it will be wonderful!

9. m6m

m6m Member

If you have any Coleman Camp Stoves, bring 'em. If the drought is really bad, they won't let us build cooking fires. Better to be prepared just in case.

10. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

First time I went to a gathering I was overwhelmed and just sat in a daze. Is changed my whole out look on life. I’ve never been to any gathering out of FL. I am so excited about nationals this year can’t wait to get home=)

11. sky

sky Member

I have a 3 month old daughter with my wife and we're trying to get to a gathering. it will be my first as a family unit.

12. raven23

raven23 Member

Every gathering I go to I try to plug into a kitchen, dig a shitter, gather some wood, do some dishes, play fire troll, a bit of this and a bit of that. Mostly I cook, cause that's who I am. People bitch because those of us who do plug in and take responsibility sometimes need to do the work of ten people. Many kids come to a gathering and just party. And over time I've come to accept that. I realize that running a kitchen is hard thankless work and there are more hungry mouths than helping hands. Anyone who plugs in at a gathering has to realize this eventually. Not that we need to feel like martyrs, but just that it should be our pleasure to take care of people. At the Missouri regional last month my brother Ruselle told the story about the drainbow, the kid who just say around with his bowl asking people to fill it and then smoking it all down himself. After a few days someone asked him, what's up, brother, and he said "My parents died in a car crash last week."
    So the point is, don't judge the so-called drainbows and bliss ninnies. In fact, let's lose these sublabels. Custy has to go to. All those words that imply separation. What makes rainbow great is we can bring a variety of heartsongs to the circle.

13. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

I have never been to a gathering. I'm still half expecting it to not actually happen, or to show up only to find out that it was moved, or canceled, or was just some kind of pipe dream all along.

Anyhow, this may be a bit off topic, but I will be looking to plug into a kitchen or some kind of work crew (preferrable manual labor like digging or hauling and chopping wood) for a good portion of my time there. Also I am hoping to be able to find some nice bus or carvan folks to travel with from some indeterminate amount of time. How feasible is this? Are bus folks generally insular, paranoid, and self absorbed (as is the case with most communes today) or are they, friendly and open to new people and new experiences?

14. raven23

raven23 Member

Bus folk are like any other folk. Some are assholes, some will adopt you. Yes, it happens all the time. I've rode out of two regionals with bus folk I met there. Usually they're a travelling litchen (or try to be). As for doing labour at the gathering. Brother, you are more than welcome. I've never been to nationals, but like i said, at regionals there is always a need for helping hands.

15. m6m

m6m Member

You guys have such a good and ballanced perspective on tribal camp-life.

We can make our '4ums' kitchen camp scene just like that.

A place where our sisters and brothers can both, help-out and/or hang-out.

A place where we give each other the the space to walk our own spirit path.

By the way, I'll be leaving Seattle for the Gathering This Sunday 13th or Monday 14th if anybody needs a ride? I have a van, and can take another 2 or 3 folks.