Are you/how much are you - an immigrant of your Country?

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by WOLF ANGEL, Nov 23, 2019.

?

When do consider yourself to be a Nation's citizen

1. Only upon Birth

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. If Parerents were not residents of the Coutry you were born in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. After 25 years of residing in a particular Country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Following a generation of residency

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. More than one generation of residency

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Other - please specify

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Following on and related to a previous thread (UK Heritage), In the UK, - and probably other Countries too, there seems to be a stigma with Immigration.
    There is the perception that all immigrants are spongers, draining an economy of financial and other resources at the expense of the native people. Whilst there are numerous examples of this, there are also many examples of where/when peoples were actively encouraged to move to the UK and of the massive contributions they make
    At this time of Government election, the subject is up there with the state of the economy and because of the 'Brexit' complication, it seems an east finger to point - although a lesson from History should deter from unilaterally accepting this prognosis as true.
    Some way down the line, we are all Immigrants.
    What's the feeling on how long one has to be a Nations subject for them not to be an immigrant?
    Is one a Native of the Country that they are born in - ONLY?
    If so, e.g. If someone is born (prematurely - on holiday) in Wales to an English couple, does that make the child Welsh?
    Is it a Generational thing? if so, what would the cut of date be?
    Keep it Civil - but opinions/comments and social interaction should always be encouraged, for both education and understanding IMO

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

We all emigrated from Africa I believe. One Planet, let's share it.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

;)

That being said: I'm as dutch as one can be. So more than one generation. In fact, i should vote 'other' i guess, since I'm not an immigrant or descent from people who immigrated to the Netherlands. Unless we go back somewhere before the 16th century perhaps

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  4. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

My interpretation is an immigrant is always an immigrant, even well after becoming a naturalized citizen. "Immigrant" isn't a status like "resident alien" is a status. Immigrant is simply a word for a person who moved from the country they were born in to another country. But that's more of a technical definition.

If you're asking more of a personal opinion on how long does it take for an immigrant to fully integrate into their new society, and lose the immigrant stigma, I think that depends on the individual. Assimilation was important to my mother. She pretty much assimilated before she ever got here. But she was fluent in English, had gone to school here, knew people, and was coming here because of a job offer. She had a bit of an accent but other than that she was assimilated from the very start. Today, if you met her, you'd never know she was an immigrant.

Btw commenting as an American here. Not in the UK but I thought my perspective was still relevant. If not I apologize...or apologise ;)

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm not from your planet...

6. WOLF ANGEL

= Wise words

7. WOLF ANGEL

Sounds a definite Dutch heritage to me, for I doubt many would consider going back as far back as 'Centuries' past

8. WOLF ANGEL

That's a interesting point of view 'Bagel', Integration and acceptance can be difficult for any strangers. For those who are willing to embrace their new home - by learning the particular language and/or culture, makes it easier - (though not necessarily easy) in addition, I feel the attitude/s of those natives plays it's part too - some people/s are welcoming, whereas others 'less so'!
    *** ALL views are welcome on this thread :)

everything bagel likes this.
  9. WOLF ANGEL

Best not let Don Trump know that - (knowing how he feels about illegal Aliens)

10. My mum is from Holland. Her family immigrated to Australia (where i'm from) when she was only 8 years old.

11. WOLF ANGEL

So you class yourself as Australian, how about your mother?
    At 8 years old does that make her Dutch - and an Immigrant? or because of the time that has elapsed now considers herself as an 'Aussie'?
    It would be interesting to know how hard/easy it was for any transition