Are you happy to know you will die?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by GreatestIam, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It would be discomforting to me if I thought its really plausible. Now as i do not, the idea is interesting. Like the movie The Matrix.

I find it comforting its all a bunch of random actions and reactions. Like, really comforting :) :D

Driftrue likes this.
  2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The whole question of suffering in the world is a big one that has caused problems for many philosophers and thinkers. religious and otherwise.

Some conclude that the world is basically an inimical and/or illusory place where we don't really belong, and the solution lies in some kind of liberation or salvation. Broadly speaking, Buddhism, most Hinduism and western Gnosticism are of that general view. I suppose that if you go deeply enough into it, mainstream Christianity is too, or the tendency to that kind of view is there, as when JC tells his disciples that they must hate the world.

I think it's good if one can find some path into transcendence. Also though I think it's possible for us as humans to improve things, even though I don't think the world is ultimately perfectible. There seem to me to be fundamental problems with phyisical/ biological life which I think are insurmountable in the long run.

3. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

The earth is where humans belong. If humans werent destroying the earth it would be a paradise. That was God’s intention, to make this earth a Paradise. Humans cannot survive anywhere else.

4. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

When Jesus said to hate the world. He’s talking about this system of things in this world which is controlled by Satan.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

our kids are just another character in the game.

6. BlackBillBlake

Do you think Satan is an actual being?

7. Asmodean

He's supposedly trying to become a Jehovas witness, so yes.

Orison likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

9. Ready-kilowatt

Ready-kilowatt Members

That's your real picture isn't it?

You missed the point entirely. Though I doubt your are even reading these posts.

The point was if you understand death you will love and appreciate life, obviously those people in those cults couldn't understand life or death.

10. BlackBillBlake

Same one as before, or is this new proto JW?

11. Ready-kilowatt

Ready-kilowatt Members

This is why DMT experiences were meticulously compared to near death experiences and certain spiritual phenomena involving death, and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that the DMT experience, the near death experience, and certain spiritual experienced involving death (like those found in tibetan Buddhism) are all actually describing the same thing.

The most common thing I hear people say after giving them DMT is "I was dead" or "I thought I was dead". Now, while most would say "this is coincidence" I automatically think of the Percy Williams Bridgman Quote: “Coincidence is what you have left over when you apply a bad theory.”

DMT Models the Near-Death Experience

A DMT trip 'feels like dying' - and scientists now agree - BBC Three

Psychedelic Medicine 101: DMT and the near-death experience

Look, I could spend all day trying to explain this stuff and none of it would do any good. Its an unreceptive audience who has more interest in arguing, so why waste the energy?

12. BlackBillBlake

Look, I've had many psychedelic experiences. First time I took LSD back in the 70's I thought for a time I had died. Years later I tried ketamine, and on one exp I seemed to have gone into a kind of super-existence, beyond life and death. Maybe tempting to think death will be like that - but one can't say for certain. DMT took me to quite a different place which didn't seem to me at all like a post mortem state.

Do I think these experiences were actually the same thing as death? I think it's possible they were of a similar nature to the experience of death, but equally might not be the same at all. There is no objective way to determine the truth of the matter. No-one actually dies under the effect of any of these drugs - it could all be in the brain.
    I also have the notion that really, psychedelics have more to teach about life than death.

If you lack patience with the 'unreceptive audience' on here, maybe you are wasting your time. Experience shows that there isn't much you can say on HF that won't get you some disagreement. If you expect to be treated like a guru figure, and for people to just accept what you say uncritically, just forget it.

Driftrue likes this.
  13. Ready-kilowatt

Ready-kilowatt Members

Ugghhh...

Are you intentionally trying to misinterpret what I'm saying to be a dick or are you really this dense?

Two different societies?

I think you are unable to understand the difference between "cultural values" and "personal values", sure, the culture encourages greed and materialism, but everybody I know is fully able to see through that, I mean, nobody actually thinks the meaning of life is to produce and consume material goods.

When it comes to that statement by Wei Po Yang, maybe you should think about what he actually meant, because like everything else here it seems to have gone way over your head.

Worry is pointless. What are you accomplishing by wallowing in anxiety over things which are not in your control to begin with? Its a complete waste of time and energy.

To your next "point", yes, you can prepare for death, well, may be you can't, you can't even preparer a coherent sentence on the matter, you just stray off topic into God knows what nonsense.

As for your last statements, no, there was no coherence to the majority of what you said.

I never claimed to be intelligent or profound and I certainly haven't contradicted myself in any way.

I suggest some anger management or meditation.

...maybe you would be less prone to anger and argumentativeness if you actually understood life.

You will never understand life unless you can understand death as well.

Respect others? I give everybody the exact level of respect that they give me. And in your case I wasn't even being disrespectful, you just interpreted it that way. You can't allow your assumptions to take the place of reality.

14. Ready-kilowatt

Ready-kilowatt Members

I guess some of us can live in the light of non-closure without fear or anxiety.

I can't believe that you guys are actually making the argument that worry is good and productive and useful...

Then again that last guy thought Wei Boyang was unintelligent, so...

What good does it do to be anxious over something you can't control? What good is anxiety or fear doing you? Iys not productive, it's not helping you, and it doesn't improve or change the situation.

It's better to function in place. I mean, does a liver cell worry? No, it's functions in place as a liver cell...

Mahatma Ghandi said ‘What you do has very little importance and it’s very important that you do it’ and I think that’s how we have to act. We have to each choose a small area and then act in that limited area with all the existential commitment we can muster. But not with anxiety.
    Wei Po Yang, the Chinese Taoist alchemist said ‘Worry is perposterous. You don’t know enough to worry’…it’s just a complete waste of metabolic energy. The better thing is to function well in place and then to wonder. Wonder is sort of worry without animal anxiety, it’s living in the light of non-closure. We’re not going to get this thing wrestled into a box.” -TMK

15. BlackBillBlake

I see you aren't actually addressing anything I said in my previous post.

Anxiety, based upon the 'fight or flight' response, is a mechanism meant to protect us from harm. Unbridled anxiety can get out of control, and become a serious problem, but a bit of it is useful. It stops us doing stupid and dangerous things. I'm not arguing that anxiety is good if it goes beyond it's natural and useful boundaries.

To be free of all anxiety and living on this planet at the moment, hypnotic drugs would be more useful than psychedelics. Frankly, if you're not a little bit worried, you have to be deaf, dumb and blind.

16. Asmodean

Same. An incarnation of LornaDoom so to speak :p

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  17. Ready-kilowatt

Ready-kilowatt Members

People can disagree all they want, and I don't even have issues with the out right disrespect and hypocrisy that goes on here, obviously I don't mind picking through your posts and writing out responses when there is a disagreement.
    ...if someone is flaming or trolling and they get disrespected than too fucking bad, ya know?

I always have people tell me "I've taken psychedelics and it was nothing like death" yet when they vaporize 200mgs of DMT in front of me they all come back exclaiming "I was dead! I was dead!"

The only way to know of these after death-states is to personally experience one, now, this can come through a near death experience, a religious experience, or through DMT, but trust me, no amount of discussion will do the trick.

Any body who doesn't believe me is welcome to come smoke some DMT with me to see for themselves.

Did you go through the links I posted? Seruiosly, you don't have to take my word for it, many, many, people have made this exact connection.

DMT Models the Near-Death Experience

Psychedelic Medicine 101: DMT and the near-death experience

18. BlackBillBlake

Actually, I too think that is a somewhat empty and meaningless platitude. If you don't have some awareness of all the unpleasant things that can happen and seek to avoid them you have to be pretty stupid. It's impossible if you have loved ones not to at least occaisionally worry about their well being in a world like this. Ask any parent.
    We also live in dangerous times where the environment is being rapidly degraded and a mass extinction is taking plce.
    And we're not to worry? Just let it happen ?

Okiefreak likes this.
  19. BlackBillBlake

I've taken DMT on a number of occaisions. It is somewhat spectacular, but as I said before, didn't seem anything like death to me.
    Ketamine as I said was the substance I thought might be a bit like death. But not necessarilly, most of my K exp's weren't like that.

You can only experience an actual after-death state by actually dying. NDE's, religious experiences etc are not death itself.

20. Ready-kilowatt

Ready-kilowatt Members

What did I not address?

I never said we need to take drugs to be free from anxiety, and I obviously wasn't talking about the fight or flight response, I said that worry is a waste of energy, it does absolutely no good, it doesn't help a situation and it doesn't change a situation.

I mean, are you really not understanding this? Can you see why it looks like you are just trying to be a dick?