Are you charitable?

Discussion in 'Personal Development' started by Bilby, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Are you charitable?
    Do you believe that being charitable can bring you good financial karma?
    For most of his life I don't think my Dad believed in being charitable and a bit stingy but that was his upbringing. My Mum was more charitable giving her time rather than money. Since she became a widow she sold her house that was in commuting distance to London, moved to Wales where she hailed from, bought house half way up a mountain and a couple of investment properties. She is now more financially well off than she was when my Dad was alive.
    In my life I have had my financial ups and downs. things have been worse when I have been less charitable.

Ajay0 and soulcompromise like this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I try, really

I see them... they hurt! struggling to feed their children. Unable to find any work.

playing music on a corner with an accordion that they probably inherited from a dead relative who loved them!

Sleeping, or trying to look like they're sleeping, or just laying there because there's absolutely nowhere to go!

Yeah, I try to help them.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

That's my wife's job.

4. Bilby

Are there any charities you would not donate to? I will not give anything to the Heart Foundation as they are essentially an advertising agency for the margarine industry. All their advice is outdated to say the least.
    If I am going to be charitable, should I give to a televangelist who lives a life of luxury or The Smith Family that helps disadvantaged kids?

5. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I don't have a lot of money but I donate to our local Humane Society and the Alzheimer's Association.

6. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes I give to: Medicins sans Frontiere
    British Red Cross
    Pay it forward (a local charity)

7. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

IMHO the best charity is to earn righteously and spend generously

PS: Grew up poor with hard pride so charity was an unfamiliar territory. After I grew up and established I did/do some charity... Mostly children/education, OPB. I claim tax benefits for such. I also do it when someone in my town lost their home or vehicle or their bread-winner to unexpected events. But I never openly speak about it to anyone though... I consider such things intimate and personal

wyldwynd and Bilby like this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Not as charitable as I should or would like to be. Especially, and perhaps most importantly, a certain generosity of spirit, which a priori assumes the best of everyone and gives everyone every possible benefit of the doubt.

"Bhikkhus, if beings knew, as I know, the result of giving and sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would they allow the stain of meanness to obsess them and take root in their minds. Even if it were their last morsel, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared it, if there were someone to share it with. But, bhikkhus, as beings do not know, as I know, the result of giving and sharing, they eat without having given, and the stain of meanness obsesses them and takes root in their minds."
    The Buddha; Itivuttaka 1:26

9. Bilby

In my town there was an electrician/ refrigeration mechanic. He has now left town. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Frequently his refrigeration repairs would soon go wrong afterwards. He seemed to lack good karma. I spoke to his ex the other day. I already knew his was not very punctual with paying his bills.What did not surprise me was he would never donate to charity.

10. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

So, you judge someone if they do not donate to charity?

If you do, what does that say about you?

11. Very Fast Car

Very Fast Car Members

I no longer give to charities where the CEO is earning a 6 figure sum.

I am more likely to help a small local charity.

etherea, Bilby and curiousbear like this.
  12. Bilby

Often you don't know how charitable someone is. While I am happy to discuss what charities I would or would not donate to, when I make a donation , it is between me and the charity.
    I don't judge someone for being uncharitable, I just don't want to be like them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    curiousbear likes this.
  13. Bilby

One Saturday morning some years ago, I took part in a massive tree planting. There would been 200+ of us. I was paired with the local pharmacist. In terms of social economic status it was the more well healed people who took part, only a very few of the underclass took part.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  14. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Yes, I believe charity can bring good financial karma and good karma overall based on some life experiences. I am glad that you brought up this thread as it further reinforces this conviction in me and will get rid off procrastination and miserliness within me as well.

As per Hinduism, charity should be given to the right person at the right time with the right mindset or attitude.

If you give charity to a drunkard, it is not charity as he would use the money for more alcohol and feeding his addiction. If you give charity to a lazy person , it will further reduce his work ethics. So you should gauge the condition of those whom you wish to serve.

Charity done to the right person in need brings great benefits.

Charity even to animals can be potent and I have had experiences in this regard as well.

Similarly the right mindset and attitude should be there, and not an unwilling heart. A poor attitude can block or reduce incoming grace.

Charity done in adversity but with a cheerful heart results in exponential returns.

In Islam, it is said that charity helps reduce adversity and potential dangers in life.

It is also said that the returns increase exponentially when you give without a calculating mindset.

In Sikhism it is said that earning a honest living in remembrance of God and performing charity is the highest austerity and such a one need not perform any other rituals.

Bilby likes this.
  15. Charitable thoughts and actions are as important as charitable giving. As was said above the right mindset and attitude should be there.
    Giving a charitable donation should not be a way of easing one's conscience.
    I give by monthly donation to my chosen charity and also support a scheme whereby micro loans are given to budding entrepreneurs who apply for finance for whatever their business requires whether it is seeds, hairdressing equipment, fabric or whatever. These loans are paid back over a set period allowing the lender to reinvest in another project of their choosing.

curiousbear and Bilby like this.