Are you afraid of dying?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by granny_longhair, Apr 23, 2010.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the possibilities are infinite and this is one of them.
    but what if we did exist before we were born. living a life like we live now, with birth, childhood, adulthood, old age and death, on some other world in some other solar system, as the sapient species of that world, looking like and having evolved on it, and another before that and another before that?
    i know the universe, and whatever gods there may or may not be, owe nothing to what i would like, but i also know the unknown being unknown does not rule out any of infinite possibilities.

DrRainbow and mysticblu21 like this.
  2. EUGENE Montgomery

EUGENE Montgomery Newbie

Yes we are all afraid but try to look at the bright side do you want to live for ever ,my wife died 3 weeks ago and we where married 46 years but she had a good death and was ready for it its hard on the living when you die you are going back to home to the place where you where born from .It is very expensive to die in America but cremation is a lot cheaper try your local cremation society and do not get cremated in a casket just a cardboard box it should be less than 150 dollars .ps look at death as going home.

3. sosmartamadeus

sosmartamadeus Members

I'm just afraid of being annoyed.

4. Commented here many years ago. A wee update. Still no fear. Have organised for my body to go a university medical school. If not possible to have the cheapest cremation possible.

Bilby likes this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

In the words of TS Elliot.

All this was a long time ago, I remember,
    And I would do it again, but set down
    This set down
    This: were we led all that way for
    Birth or Death? There was a birth, certainly,
    We had evidence and no doubt. I had seen birth and death,
    But had thought they were different; this Birth was
    Hard and bitter agony for us, like Death, our death.
    We returned to our places, these Kingdoms,
    But no longer at ease here, in the old dispensation,
    With an alien people clutching their gods.
    I should be glad of another death.

6. sosmartamadeus

sosmartamadeus Members

Poets know everything. /dead serious

7. AstroShark

AstroShark Member

Every time this subject comes up, this song pops in my head

8. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

As a believer in evolution I don’t fear death. It’s inevitable anyway. Natural selection, survival of the fittest.

9. I don’t think about dying at all. Worthless waste of time. It’s inevitable just like paying taxes. And I spend ZERO hours thinking about the IRS.

Maybe it’s a product of my age…close to 60. And more than likely it has to do with the fact that more and more family and friends have passed on now. My parents are both gone. My wife passed away a couple years back and I am just now getting to the point that I must move on with my life without her. It’s still tough to deal with sometimes.

I struggle with faith so I am not sure either way as to whether I will see my wife again in an afterlife.

But as far as fearing death. Why bother? It’s a waste of precious time in your life in the here-and-now.

Iscott55 likes this.
  10. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Someone once said death is simply part of life.

11. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Hey, big deal, death always comes with the territory. I'll see you in Disneyland.

12. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Hehehehehehehehehe :)
    As Jim Morrison once said: " no-one gets out of here alive" :)
    images (73).jpeg 02_4x.jpg

13. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Dedicated to the over-ambitious fools who make big projects for the future , not knowing that death waits for NO-ONE :)

hotwater likes this.
  14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I've few narrow escapes and in each instance I was afraid, very afraid, but sitting here now answering this question as an exercise in rhetoric - no

myndtyme likes this.
  15. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

I think it's normal to be afraid because we are so unspiritually connected to our material world and we are DEAD afraid of death (pun intended) when we have close shaves.
    I had a head on collision once and I've always thought of how the hell I'm still here ??! Evidently, the bell didn't toll for me :):)

hotwater likes this.
  16. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

81VzVpbAACL.jpg Donne observes, “entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main…. Any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i know i'm getting closer and i'm in no hurry. some days it bothers me more then others, some days less.
    i'm thankful to have lived as long as i have, and been able to enjoy what i've been able to.

18. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

Have you ever seen a dead person ? No you haven’t, you have seen a dead body. Death is fiction, there is only life, going from one dimension to another. When the psychical body becomes unsuitable to sustain life you say they are no more, they are no longer with you as you knew them, when a person leaves their body , the body and the discriminatory mind is gone, the life energy is still vibrant.

oldguynurse likes this.
  19. dkcurious

dkcurious Senior Member

As someone that is a combat veteran, no the only thing that is a sure thing in anyone's life is that it will end at some point. Granted I've been around thousands of many recently deceased people. So death very well could not effect me as much as the next person due to the experience and processing of it due to the overexposure of being round it. People often put too much fear in the unknown I believe.

20. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well put.