Are you afraid of dying?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by granny_longhair, Apr 23, 2010.

1. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

that's a unique way to do it..

2. teepi

teepi living my dream

Larry and i joke about "praying for the relief death will bring", but seriously, we have both talked about it as he is 65 and I am 52. We ahve shored up what we can and I have assured him that if he goes before me, i will get me an old hippy or a slave (kinky shit) to come and help me around the homestead.
    We are pretty comfortable here and have knocked everything down to the bare necessities. So anyone who has a steady check coming in, has a fair shot at coming to live with the ol' teepi gal. Almost 10 acres of wooded land with a greenhouse and a home that is pretty much built with a few upgrades that would be nice.
    Anyone with a vehicle and that can drive ( I have night blindness), and does not mind 4 crazy little Jack Russell's.

3. borealowl

borealowl Guest

if you told a catipilar that he would be a butterfly he could not beleave you:sunny:

4. jeffery.2

jeffery.2 Guest

i have lived a wonderful life and have enjoyed most everyday and have no fear of the end i think what most fear is the unknowns of death like the first day of school but i just dont feel theres anything to fear it something we all face as for my belongings i hope my children enjoy my car collection as much as i have and believe me i have enjoyed them well

5. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

All the leaves fall from all trees. It is the fundamental cycle of nature that applies to all things. Why worry or be afraid?

6. El Gato

El Gato Drooling Troubadour Lifetime Supporter

I used to be deathly afraid of dying. My life was measured for a couple of decades with careful maneuvers. A lot of bad circumstances just happened to befell me in January when I realized I needed start living life and not worry so much about death. I am at a point that I need to concern myself about what life has in front me and engage it with what is in my heart.

7. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

I am not afraid of dying, I am afraid of someone I love dying. I would say losing my parents was hard, but to lose a child or grandchild would be horible.

8. catman2130093

catman2130093 Member

I fear leaving my two cats-they are provided for financially,but still..I look forward to meeting up with the dogs and cats I've known that preceded me...

9. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Death does not bother me. What bothers me is seeing the Mack Truck before it hits me.

I have also given my son a secret word/phrase, just in case there is something on the other side. I'd love to be able to communicate with him.

I still play in a 60/70's Rock band-wouldn't it be a gas to be able to jam with our musical heroes who have passed.

Worse case, it's like going to sleep and not waking up.

10. Stillcrazy

Stillcrazy Member

Lying in bed last night, I was afraid of dying cos it suddenly felt like something that was really gonna happen one day.
    This morning, with blue skies, sunshine and birds singing, I feel I can handle it. (Not that I'll have much choice when the time comes!)

11. Ddoright

Ddoright Senior Member

Fear being dead? No - Fear dying -- some I think. It seems so many suffer so horribly when they are dying.

12. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

An interesting take on it, Doright. Myself, I'm the opposite. I fear the actual process of dying less than the idea of .... nothingness.

What a terrible thought it is. Everything that you are, everything you ever thought about or felt, every achievement for which you felt satisfaction, every joyous sunny morning, every moment of tenderness with a lover, every proud time watching your children grow, everything, every single thing that makes you what you are .... gone!

You will never again feel joy or love or pride in any of those things. And eventually, unless you're Einstein or Shakespeare, the world will forget you completely.

I dunno ... that whole thing just scares me.

13. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice," Bill Murray, Caddyshack.

There's some wisdom to be gleaned from that.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

14. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

Dang, I hope you're right, Rev!

15. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

The lesson is don't trust men that chase gophers.

16. coloradojohnny

coloradojohnny Members

I think the anxiety of death comes from trying to deal with it before the process begins. I don't think we have the ability to deal with something before it happens. I think when the time comes, we'll discover a strength to deal with it that we didn't know we had.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Im afraid of them spiders. The big ones. The big hairy ones. The big hairy ones with bent angled legs. I fear them, because I hate them. I was raised to hate them. My mother, my three sisters, none of us like them creepy crawlies.

We'd all take death with a grin on our face. Look that motherfucker face to face, dead in the eyes than come face to face with a spider.

18. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

I'm wee bit afraid of death..because I LOVE life...
    but this old boy...is not leaving yet(ahah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06urWoNMLRQ

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Why be afraid of death? Every single one of us is in the process of dying right now... Nobody is getting any further away from death.

It's the next stage.

20. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i wanto to be cryogenically frozen before i die, so that one day in possibly a few hundred years i can be saved ...