Are we sick of Slipknot yet?

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by Vanilla Gorilla, May 18, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Some people aren't always drawn to music like others. I'm very drawn to music as it influences a lot in my life. I kind of think of music lovers like me, are kind of dreamers in a way. Just off in our own little workd and any hymn or song we feel passionate about becomes our mood.

My dad is also like me and loves music, but not so much mom or my sisters. My mom will buy an album for one song and skip the rest. She says he ay metal is druggo headbaging shit. :p

2. Music was once my whole life. Who I was as a person revolved around what bands I listened to. Now the whole concept of music as a life-changing thing seems absurd. It's really not the music itself that I dislike, but what I find out about the musicians themselves, and how they conduct themselves. It seems like their heads are going steadily further up their asses, too. I guess ego comes with the territory in rock, but I wish it didn't so much.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I can 100% say that, my life would not be the way it is now if it wasn't for particular bands and music entering my life at such an influential age.

4. Me too, for sure. I probably would have become a doctor or something if it hadn't been for Nirvana. I was a straight A good little boy. I even trusted the government.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

While I wouldn't categorize it as "hippie music", most the progenitors of Metal were essentially stoners and trippers, so there is an affinity there.

6. Never had a problem with hippies either. I used to be really into punk, but I'm jaded with that as well. So many of them live in this echo chamber of rhetoric, like "kill the hippies" and stupid shit like that. I like that style of music more, though. It comes from, or it once did, a place I can relate to. Being truly disenfranchised and trying to do something to cure the boredom, even if you aren't that technically proficient. It's interesting to me. Or, like I say, it once was.

7. Loved Slipknot since day 1. Best concert I've seen along with Qotsa and Marylin Manson

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I lost track of Slipknot after Iowa, and the album before that, Self Titled, was the only one I was obsessed with.

All you wanna do is drag me down! All I wanna do is stamp you ooout!

It all meant a lot to me at 15. I'm not sure I identify with these lyrics now : )

Mike Literous likes this.
  9. First album is raw . I was in my 20's when it came out and loved Slayer (still do) and the like but Slipknot was a fresh new full on assault to the ears. Fucken loved it
    There's great songs on every album too and their live shows go off

Mike Literous likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

People who replied negatively in this thread were merely answering your question.

Since nobody mentions them anymore they're fairly easy to ignore and forget about.

I don't dig any nu metal.

It depends on the details (as most things). There are many ways to do it wrong :p

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

.......or they suffered head trauma as a child

12. Asmodean

Punk right?
    I know what you mean. I for one am rarely bothered by the musicians and how they conduct themselves. I used to let certain fans annoy me more. They're far more ridicilous in style or as a poser, or how serious they take their stereotypical and (rigid subcultural :grinning:) self. At least the artist has the excuse (s)he's on stage :p

13. Asmodean

I saw Slipknot live at a festival in 2000 (went to see Iron Maiden for my first time :)), nice moment to get beers. No trauma

14. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

he sucks

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

not really listened to slipknot ..

16. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

me too heard like three songs and don’t hear what makes them great

17. Asmodean

Unless your friends are fans they're easy to ignore... happily :-D
    I just don't like their sound. No idea how good their drummer might be. Pretty sure he doesn't suck though, but can't be bothered

18. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

I would say I am more Old School - Iron Maiden and Metallica . My taste really is more towards Prog Rock .

19. Asmodean

I love some extreme metal, just not nu metal. I still value, and occasionally enjoy, bands like Maiden and Metallica, but it has to be timed. Not as often in the mood for it as I used to.

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Lars Ulrich and Joey Jordison should have a drum off.