Are We Eggs On A Plate?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by Joshua Tree, May 18, 2020.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

eggsistentialism.jpg

We are after all subjective beings reliant upon our senses. We build up a world view based upon our perceptions, and that seems solid and objective. But who is to know if that is all there is? Perhaps our world view is too limited, and we are too sure of it. We should allow for the possibility of other types of existence, or at least admit that we do not know everything, and perhaps cannot know everything.

themnax, Ajay0 and mysticblu21 like this.
  2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Science is only a discipline . It studies objects (objectively) . We have more sense than that .

3. Dax

Dax Members

"...or at least admit that we do not know everything,"

Actually we know next to nothing ... not even whether the egg or the chicken came first. Wonder if Noah took two eggs onto the Ark (apart from his own that is!) or two chickens.

4. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I thought it was a frying pan

[​IMG]

any questions?

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You mean. like, fried?

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

We can entertain limitless possibilities, that seems to be an interesting quality of our consciousness and imaginations but if we were absolute in being non-discerning, it would not be possible to acquire knowledge of the world.

I think there are different categories to our understanding of the world... A direct scope which the senses primarily rely on and is as objective as possible in understanding the world, given our physiology. Then there is what I'll call the inferential, which accounts for phenomena we cannot observe directly with the senses but can infer by recognizing the contingent, temporal, derivative and/or emergent nature of phenomena we directly observe, which then sometimes find it's way into the direct scope. Examples might be like knowledge of cells, viruses, exoplanets, other galaxies, etc. Lastly there is the conceptual, which could probably be broken down into further categories but basically relies on abstracting our experience of reality. Things like religion, Simulation hypothesis, paranormal, etc.

I think each scope down becomes less reliable, or perhaps more subjective.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Tishomingo likes this.
  7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Lots of problems there. Even if he had managed to sit on the eggs until they hatched without breaking them, he could have ended up with 2 hens or 2 cocks.
    Perhaps he took 2 chickens too and kept the eggs for breakfast.

That ark must have been such fun. Constantly reminding the 2 foxes not to eat the chickens, making sure the the elephants did not tread on anything and the lions did not eat him.

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Worldviews are comprised of social constructs - culture, socialization in your society, etc. But is spirituality really a social construct?

I don't know if that's what you meant... lol

But what I think is that the spiritual is innately, at the very least enhanced by that which is emotional. Emotional response to spiritual stimuli are at the foundations of our essence as humans.

Abraham Maslow, a famous American psychologist postulated a hierarchy of needs that most people can agree with. And at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs is self-actualization - that which relates to being a better person and so forth. Our worldview sort of determines what is realistic and attainable in terms of self-actualization. It's from our respective culture which depends on who you are and where you are from. Who raised you? What is your socioeconomic status? Are you living up to the standards you unconsciously internalized growing up? Who have you become and who do you want to be? Those are all relative to worldview, culture, and self-actualization.

EDIT: Maslow's Hierarchy...

[​IMG]

mysticblu21 likes this.
  9. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The existentialist model is limited, emphasizes subjectivity or the subjective mind which is just an accumulation of external impressions and information one has gathered randomly or linearly, and states that values and meaning of life put forward thus are all abstract interpretations which may have no true basis in truth or reality.

However this model is unable to incorporate the much more older and ancient eastern philosophies such as Advaita or Buddhism which maintain that the subjective mind with its thoughts and emotions , due to its transient nature, is actually the falsehood that is preventing the perception of the abiding truth of a non-ephemeral nature that is at one's interiority.

Advaita or nondual philosophy considers it to be the Self or pure consciousness characterized by bliss as the fundamental state.

Enlightened masters such as Buddha, Mahavira, Ramana Maharshi,Krishna,Nisargadatta Maharaj, Eckhart Tolle, Dr.Jean Klein, RobertAdams,Franklin Merrell Wolff have described the enlightened state beyond the subjective mind, as a state of natural peace and bliss of an abiding nature.

In the east, the well-known philosophical term Sat-Chit-Ananda means that the characteristic of truth is bliss and permanency,and anything that poses as the truth bringing despair and suffering in its wake is but falsehood and not truth.

Thus as far as eastern philosophy is concerned, the existentialist 'dread' or 'despair' are but indications of illusory falsehood and not having penetrated yet to the truth beyond the grosser subjective mind with its fleeting thoughts and fickle emotions.

10. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

Reminds me of a joke that went a bit like;

Noah’s diary,
    Day 34
    Unicorn tastes fucking amazing.

Bicaptain My Captain and Dax like this.
  11. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

That isn’t all there is.

Plenty of animals see outside of our range.
    UV/ir
    Or hear, smell.......etc.
    Not sure where coral Fluorescence fits into that?

There world appears different to ours.
    We are met with fear, curiosity or aggression by these creatures......as we meet them equally.

New species are still being discovered.

No one person can know everything!

It is perfectly normal.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not to mention we have yet to venture beyond our own solar system. if there is one thing to expect of the unknown, it is that it is full of the unexpected.

13. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

Voyager left our system a long time ago!

don’t know what happened to it though.

Saturn would float on water.......
    That was unexpected!

14. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

This thread is a Yoke! :smilingimp:

All I need now is me tea and toast! :smiley: