Are Trump and his supporters a cult?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by newo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Fixed...

[​IMG]

stormountainman likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Trump's employee Steve Miller is a product of chain migration. Omarosa is an example of how he only hires the very best. He wants a very big wall because he has a very small ……………! (please fill in the blank space accordingly)

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

We've been fighting in Afghanistan now for 17 years with virtually nothing to show for it except wasted lives and treasure. Trying something new is the sanest thing we could do imo.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Blind trust in a leader is symptomatic of a cult. You're proving our point.

5. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

If we end the war in Afghanistan. He will have earned my trust.

6. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Yes, exactly. There is no point 'reaching out' to his supporters, diehard Republicans, etc.
    Being nice to these people isn't going to change their beliefs anymore than the sexual assaults, Russia connections, and endless lying does.
    All that I can really do at this point is hope that the sane people who were duped have come to their senses.

Even though you're being a jerk here, I should point out that you're not making any kind of point. It is perfectly human to be stupid, lost, angry, racist, xenophobic etc... but that doesn't mean that stupidity, anger, racism and xenophobia should be respected, or that people who have/defend/support those attributes are worthy of respect either.

You remind me of the people who think that liberals aren't allowed to oppose racists because being left/liberal means you have to love and respect everyone, including people who aggressively oppose and would gladly destroy everything you believe in. That's a losing attitude, and they will screw you for having it.

I am not the same as them because the reasons I have to believe what I do aren't rooted in backward notions of nationalism, homogeneity, hierarchy, or rose-tinted nostalgia. I don't believe in easy solutions to complex problems, conspiracy theories, trickle down, American supremacy or Christian Fascist dogma. You are trying to make this all nice and simplistic but it's not and never will be.

Respect is earned... it's not an appeasement strategy for people with whom I will never agree. FFS politics isn't about making absolutely everyone happy or forcing everyone to like each other, it's about choosing the best direction for the society in which we all live.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Okiefreak likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Visitor

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Ok, let's see if and when that happens.

Okiefreak likes this.
  9. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Does it count if he carelessly slaughters millions of innocents in the process?

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No, it makes perfect sense. Y'all wanna be elementary school about things so you know what? If they're a cult, then the opposing must be a cult too. Because that's how things work in elementary.

I know you are, but what am I. Sticks and stones may break my bones but your nonsense won't every hurt me.

11. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

That would be one big ass cult.

If anything, left-wing Democrats are a whole lot more cultish with their single-minded politically correct social justice view of the world that automatically paints anyone who doesn't agree with them as an enemy, a racist, and whatnot. That's the same sort of attitudes that cults like Scientology exhibit.

Aerianne likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Need to wipe your chin buddy, you're dribbling shit.

13. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

You have yet to say anything that makes me feel like further responses wouldn't be a waste of time.

stormountainman and Okiefreak like this.
  14. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I would consider followers of any politician to be not very smart.

There are plenty of cult followers on the left too.

Both extremes scare me, quite frankly.

I think Trump's supporters are zombies, just as I feel the majority who oppose him to be as well.

r0llinstoned and GeorgeJetStoned like this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yet, here you are. :tonguewink: dribbling shit.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  16. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Yes indeed, he appears to be pulling a Reagan on them. We'll see how their arms buildup goes (it will probably bankrupt them).

17. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nixon ended the war in Vietnam. Did he earn your trust?

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

by definition, everyone who voted for trump was technically a minority, as far as the election results go.

fraggle_rock likes this.
  19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Cult-like politics can go in many directions.

The cult-like behaviors I've noticed the most, are the ones who are partisan followers. They are too afraid to criticize the politicians they support, if they feel their political favorites are doing something wrong. That's a best case senario, but for the most part I actually believe that people like this are numb to their own hypocrisy, and litterally believe their side is uncorruptable and can do no wrong.

For example, the people who hated on Bush for going to Afghanistan and Iraq, but cheered when Obama upped the military aggression to 5 more countries.

Another example would be those republicans who blasted Carter for starting the Department of Education, then cheered on as Bush supersized that same department with No Child Left behind.

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Ronald Reagan had 39% of the black vote, someone is as delusional as that canary-haired, orange faced baboon who's currently sitting in the white house [​IMG]