Are there any Darwin Awards books...

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by TrumpCards, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

with stories that aren’t obviously fake? I tried reading a couple, but I thought it was stupid cause none of the stories were true. Are there any similar books that are based on real events?

2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

News of the Weird is the closest thing I know of. The guy who runs it has been collecting weird news for so long he's had to create his own system for classifying anything as weird. For example, the first person killed by a self-driving car is weird news, but after the first fifty its old hat, while the woman at Yellow Stone who covered her baby in honey so she could take a picture of it with a bear is immortalized as a great example of a Darwin Award winner. She went on to attempt to sue the park.

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Some years ago, a guy put honey on his arms and legs at the height of summer when the bees were busy and took a few pictures of the bees collecting it and returning it to the hives.
    Wanting to impress more people, he quickly did the same again when he came across a swarm. The funny part was that while swarming, bees are following a virgin queen, so he was left standing there without a single bee landing on him. However, the honey absorbed the heat from the sun and he ended up with serious sunburn.
    Stupidity at it's best.

4. wooleeheron

There but by the grace of God or nature, go I, for childhood's end is never-ending, and the pies just keep coming.

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am always amused by the fake myths that exist around bees. In reality, they only use their sting as a means of defense when seriously threatened. Provided that you keep calm and do not attack them, unless they become trapped in loose clothing, the chances of getting stung are minimal. Even less in a swarm.!!!

Back in the 70s, a few films were made about killer bees. The sole reason that bees were chosen for the films, was because the actor could work with them in comparative safety.

We also hear stories about African bees attacking people. The truth is that they have been taken from their natural tropical environment and flora, resulting tn them being highly distressed and more likely to behave irrationally.

Needless to say, I lived near a bee farm in my younger days and helped with maintaining the hives and harvesting the honey.

6. wooleeheron

I've done a lot of woodwork and had a few sandhill hornets chase me away from my sawdust a few times, but they never stung me. They hover right in front of your face until you back down. Most bees and wasps are just out to make a living like anyone else, its the rest you have to worry about!

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Buying a Darwin award book should be in next year's Darwin Awards lol.