Are tattoo artists Always assholes?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Morla.S

Morla.S Guest

no!
    first of all, tattoo artist are as asshole as any other artist. Have you met any painter or sculptor or actor that behaves like they belong to a higher and privileged brand of humanity? i have. When you want a certain style of tattoo you should search for that certain tatto artist, tell him what you want and allow him to work freely on it. When you want something to be tattooed on your skin you should just examined the tattooist work and decide whether you like it or not. I´m a tattoo artist apprentice and respect anyone that comes to be tattooed as clients should be but they don´t respect that often the tattooartist as a professional that often. If you tell a painter to paint your flat and then, while he´s already working on it, begin to change colors, ask for other things to be done or... whatever, they are going to be pissed. That´s what happens when you begin to change things when his already working on your tattoo the tattoo artist is bound to get angry. It happens to me because it means the client haven´t express what they want correctly or doesn´t know what they really want. Those clients tend to leave unsatisfied and come back asking for the tattoo to be redone for free because the tattooartist didn´t understand what they wanted. it´s frustating. If you want a certain drawing with certain colors and certain details, search for it on internet and take the pictures with you. I don´t picture a heart as you picture it. On top of that, adding colours and details raises up the price of the tattoo and some clients ask for those things to be added once you are tattoing them so they can get them for free

2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

The guy who did my tattoo was very nice.

3. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Fair enough, and it's good to hear an insider's point of view.
    I really don't care about this incident anymore and don't care to analyze the situation further. This guy was just blatantly an asshole, even from the moment I walked in. So I should have just walked out right at the beginning.

4. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

No

5. dewaholic

dewaholic Member

My tattoo artists were always awesome. Artistically and personally.

6. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

They probably treated you that way because they didn't like your tattoo idea. My artist isn't an ass to the person though. If he doesn't like the tattoo, and they don't want him to take any artistic license, he'll just tell them he's not doing it. Him and I have become really good friends from my time spent under his needle though.

I think most of them have attitudes because people treat them like copy machines instead of artists.

7. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

No not all tattoo artists are assholes. I want to be one some day, and my fiance's father was one for many years, and he is a deadhead.

8. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

The lady who did my tattoo was pretty nice and she had done some good tattoos for my mother, but it surprised me to find that once it healed up, she hadn't filled in the lines completely and even went outside of them a little bit. You can barely tell unless you're really close but still. I'm scared to get it fixed because sometimes it turns out looking worse after getting it touched up. It's right on my wrist.

I got my nose pierced at this place in my hometown (it's a tattoo parlor) and the guys there were really nice and they do amazing work, especially in color. If I get my tat touched up or get a new one I'm definitely going there (my mom got a few there too) even though it's 2 hours away from where I moved to. I've seen some rinky dinky tat shops here and I'm not risking getting some fucked up thing on my body for the rest of my life.

One of the guys at the place I'm talking about has a bit of an attitude. He's not mean but he likes to tease you. Like my mom went there and wanted this blue daisy that was like a half inch tall and I couldn't blame him for teasing her because she was making him get out his tools for something that was going to take five minutes lol. They can be intimidating but they do good work and they usually know what they're doing. If you find the right artist, you can trust them to give you something great.

9. *MAMA*

^^^ your last statement is absolutely correct. It's important to find someone you jive with. After the guy that did my first three retired, I was super nervous about going to anyone else. After a long search, I found an artist that understands what I like. Heck, now he even sends me ideas he thinks I'll like without me even asking.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

As with most people they are probably only/especially assholes to asshole people :p

11. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Best tattoo's in Australia were done by "Painless Chater" in Sydney, his son does them now.

These were photographic perfect!
    So careful and perfect, the line-work in a class of it's own.

I see a lot of tats in hospital where i work and get time to study them, in the last five years i have not seen one that impressed me.
    Most are terribly sloppy .

I have seen some exceptional ones on punk chicks that are near perfect, only on the net or magazines.
    Never in the flesh as good

12. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Then the people who wear them often have a dicky attitude so the artist senses this.

Seen a couple of really nice ones on nerdy chicks, you would never pick them.

13. *MAMA*

Explain this, please.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

photoshop

15. la Principessa

Exactly. If you ever go into a tattoo shop and you're not liking the vibe from the artist, don't get anything done there. I would never choose a new tattoo artist unless I liked the guy/girl and had seen their work on people I know that recommended them.

16. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

Many people see the tattoo as an accessory or a bit of bling.

When you get a tattoo it should be well thought out and mean something .
    You should respect your body enough to be careful of what and who marks it?

if you don't your an idiot.

17. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

ur mom is an idiot

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The reason someone takes a tattoo differs per person. You are an idiot for mistaking your preference as fact.

19. *MAMA*

Meh, a few of mine are for accessory. I have meaningful ones too, but there's nothin' wrong with a little decoration for fun.

20. la Principessa

Tattoos can be whatever the person wants them to be. No one has a right to dictate what they should be if they're not the person with it on their body.