Are tattoo artists Always assholes?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by RainyDayHype, Jun 29, 2013.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Are tattoo artists Always assholes? and why do you think this is?

Every artist I've encountered has always had an attitude. What has your experience been like?

I was going to get a new tattoo yesterday and I just really couldn't handle the guy. He was arguing back and forth with me about a tattoo I wanted to get. He just made me feel like an inconvenience to him. I ended up walking out on him and saying forget it.

What do you think is the proper etiquette for tattoo artists to treat their clientele?

2. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Mine have always been awesome.

The last guy I had, I took my mom in the next day to get some work, and he just starts hugging her. (because it's cute to see and old lady in a parlour)

What was the tat you wanted to get. Sometimes people ask for crazy shit or even worse, boring shit.

3. RainyDayHype

I was gonna get this alien and I wanted a heart added to where his heart would be located...

[​IMG]

he made me feel stupid for suggesting the heart and honestly for just coming in asking for an alien tattoo. Something that may seem like a silly tattoo to some people may hold significance for someone else...

4. RainyDayHype

I think I need to find one good artist that I like and get along with and stick with him, but I've yet to come across a tattoo artist that isn't an asshole..

5. Manservant Hecubus

I don't mean to be offensive but it's probably gonna sound that way. But what you want is just a tattoo guy and not an artist. An artist is probably gonna /facepalm over a piece like that. A tattoo guy will do whatever you want.

6. EyesOfTheWorld420

EyesOfTheWorld420 Member

7. RainyDayHype

Guess you're right. Gotta find a tattoo guy then.

8. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

They've always been cool with me but I've seen it with other people.

Tattoo artists want to be challenged. They don't want to do the "off the wall" tats they want to create works of art. Find a tattoo guy like mentioned above. They're the ones who's shops are located in shopping malls and other cheesy places.

9. RainyDayHype

This would have been one of my first more impulsive tattoos. I happen to run into this shop in the area and have just really been having that tattoo itch. I feel like I need a new tattoo. So I stopped in..Though I've been wanting an alien related tattoo for some time now, I never really decided on an exact image I'd like.

So the guy actually found the alien image online. I didn't bring it in. He showed it to me and I liked it a lot and it's actually an alien image I've seen before that I like a lot. So I said yeah that's cool, I'll get it.

He seemed enthusiastic about tattooing an alien. He had his stuff set up, we did the stencil. When I started to make suggestions on coloring I wanted and how I wanted to add the heart, he was just really close minded to what I wanted and didn't want to hear anything I had to say. His response was always just "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's gonna look weird" with an eye roll.

He was just really pissing me off. Shouldn't I have some input?...

10. RainyDayHype

That's probably how I would describe a tattoo artists attitude..

'holier than thou'

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What you described doesn't sound normal to me. Someone must have pissed in his cornflakes that morning.

I'm glad you walked out though, one should never get inked by someone who doesn't listen. I've seen people get what they didn't really want because of intimidation

12. Manservant Hecubus

His life is tattoos and they know how things may or may not turn out. Depending on the size of the tat. adding the heart could could really ugly things up. The larger the tat, the better the heart idea will work.

Maybe he could have phrased things differently, though.

13. Manservant Hecubus

or maybe he knew some aliens and they don't keep their heart in the same spot as humans and he just wanted it to be anatomically correct and not awkwardly wrong.

Can you tell I just switched from coffee to weed. Ah, the morning buzz.

14. RainyDayHype

He didn't even want to listen to anything I had to say
    I often incorporate hearts into my tattoos and teeny hearts have even work..I've always been pleased with the outcome..
    I wanted the heart a little larger and overlapping the alien..
    his response "uhhhhhh so you want something protruding? uhhhh"
    and had a disgusted look...

haha
    yes, I can tell

15. RainyDayHype

and I would have been open to suggestions, maybe he could have said I should place the heart near the peace sign or something

just didn't want to work with me at all

16. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

I remember going with my Mother to get her first tattoo. The first place we went to, the guy was a complete ass, saying how the tat that she wanted couldn't be done since it had some very thin lines in it. I think he was just being an ass because he knew he couldn't do it.

We ended up going to this other place and the people there were real cool and did it perfectly. The tat was a custom drawing that my mom had made, and the guy who did it was awesome.

I think a lot of tattoo artists can be assholes sometimes because some have this inflated ego. They think we should look up to them because in their minds they are somehow better than us because their art is permanently on somebodies body, so they have to be the best, hence the ego. Do you know what I'm trying to say here?

17. RainyDayHype

Exactly. I feel ya.

18. RainyDayHype

lol, I ended up writing a horrible review for this place on yelp..

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

A few years ago I went to get a tattoo and I told the tattoo "artist" my idea (she was really just a tattoo guy..er gal) so she disappeared and drew up some bullshit that looked like something I could have found on her wall and came back with it. I told her it wasn't what I was looking for and I left. My friend came out later after finishing her tattoo and said the lady had been talking shit about me the whole time. Appearantly I really pissed her off because I didn't want her boring bullshit on my body for the rest of my life.

Which is pretty opposite of what you guys are saying is the norm...she acted like a bitch because I expected a little bit of creativity.

I've been shopping around for the perfect tattoo artist for a while and I've finally found an amazing one but he's so expensive I haven't gotten anything done yet.

20. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

I've never used Yelp.