Are Sportsmen/women paid too much?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by WOLF ANGEL, Jul 18, 2021.

1. erofant

erofant Members

The very same should apply to any politicians who break the law. They work FOR US ......... not the other way around.

MeAgain likes this.
  2. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

So true, but the corruption has went so far, I don't think it can be stopped. Even when they are caught, nothing is ever done about it. And the fact some don't believe there is any corruption doesn't help any.

They have a salary of $200,000. And become millionaires over night???

erofant, we need to be careful, what we say, We could come up missing. I wish was only joking about that last statement.

3. erofant

erofant Members

Extensive weapons training here. I won't specify. Not afraid at all.

4. Renart

Renart Members

My country has none of the latter, but everyone is absolutely convinced of the former

5. Dunnaknockit

Dunnaknockit Members

There is no better example of sportsmen, particularly footballers, being massively overpaid whilst massively underperforming than the situation currently at Manchester United. They field a team worth well over half a billion GBP and lose 4-1 to a team with a tiny fraction of the Man Utd budget - a team, what is more, who haven't won in their last seven matches! Yet, they sack the manager? Is the manager on the pitch? No. Once those 11 players are on the pitch, it's out of the manager's hands. Many smaller sports, speedway for example, have pay structures which are performance related. Maybe these overpaid prima donnas of the top echelon in major sports, like football, should be told "No win, no wages!"

6. Peter Barnett

Peter Barnett Members

Then if a top sportsman generates 100 million a year why should he not be paid a fair percentage of the money he generated? Failing which, who should get the money? Rather like movie stars and captains of industry.

7. erofant

erofant Members

You mean like businesses / contractors who charge $100 and up per hour to a client ...... but pay their workforce $12 to $18 per hour (and call that "great pay")?????? How dare you question the methods by which businessmen are able to buy 2nd - 3rd - 4th - 5th extravagant homes scattered around the world in ritzy zip-codes, yachts, jets, helicopters, private islands, even escape submarines to make quick get-aways from their yachts in case of angry "riff-raff" coming after them. Or throwing $1 million to $10 million on a daughter's sweet-16 party??? And how can you question their MAGNA - GLITZY, well-stocked underground bunkers they already have built and waiting for them when WW3 breaks out, or the masses finally rebel and want justice from the robber-barons???????

Surely ........ you don't mean to suggest that those who ACTUALLY generate income, and DO THE WORK, ------ should be paid fairly ----- with pay commensurate with today's cost of living???

Or should the lion's share of ALL PROFIT go to those who simply make the arrangements??????

8. Peter Barnett

Peter Barnett Members

Is this posted in some sort of indecipherable code?

9. Rainger

Rainger Members

With owners whom are already millionaires making money I think the players deserve a cut, now I do wish the teams split that more evenly.

10. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In yesterdays newspaper in north Louisiana (and I suppose others), our states "Public Services Commissioner" wrote his opinion about what our flagship university, LSU, just signed a contract with a new football coach for. The salary amount was/is $10,000,000 over ten years. One million dollars a year, roughly $80,000 a MONTH, $20,000 every WEEK, $2,850 a DAY.

His point was, "...that is obscene.." when the average per capita income of a Louisiana resident (and he would know) is between $28,000 to $35,000 a YEAR. He acknowledged that much of that salary will come from private supporters, and that he also, is a season ticket holder. But.....

But that somehow it just doesn't seem right. Especially when the state has other needs, like little help coming for the victims of hurricane Ida now even a year later.

I love my New Orleans Saints since back in '69, and keep up with pro ball. But he's right, somehow it seems "obscene" when people go work for a day for $100 - $130, but someone else is paid $2,850 for that same 24 hrs.

Ok, off my soapbox.

erofant and Flagme15 like this.
  11. erofant

erofant Members

Part of it is sarcasm. Lampooning one-sided "business arrangements."

12. erofant

erofant Members

I've been around the working / professional world for decades now. If we're going to want / champion paying people who actually do the work, and what they contribute to a business or team - then workers need to be paid MUCH MORE than they are / have been. Businesses are touting "Great pay - $18 to $20 per hour." That WAS good pay .............. back in 1984!!! $18 to $20 per hour in 1984 afforded a DECENT standard of living back then. No one got rich or independently wealthy on that pay - but it allowed you to raise a family in decent housing and save a few bucks for the future. The people who actually DO THE WORK get by - but the executives reap multiple millions and sometimes BILLIONS every year on the backs of the people actually doing the work of the business or team. $20 per hour earns you $40,000 a year - gross - before taxes. Not much, especially if you work in technological / engineering fields with multiple skill sets. But executives act like they're being gracious benefactors to workers by paying $18 to $20 per hour these days.

So I get a kick out of - and laugh at - the highway billboards that shout "Great pay - $18 to $20 per hour! " in today's world, as they try to lure workers to jobs. That WAS GOOD PAY ........... back in 1984.

oldguynurse likes this.
  13. oldguynurse

oldguynurse Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"...especially if you work in technological / engineering fields with multiple skill sets...."

Very true. My 35 y/o son is a "Medical Laboratory Scientist", eight yrs in a huge medical school lab. When some machine breaks he often fixes it for them rather than wait days for a service guy. He's making $35/hr, but frequently works 6-7 day runs for usually 9hrs a day, and whenever someone calls in sick. He's getting damn tired of being worked like a mule while the division heads pull in $85K and leave after 8 hrs, 5 days a week, instead of hiring more staff.

erofant likes this.
  14. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

could not agree more.

erofant likes this.
  15. Michael1985

Michael1985 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't take issue with the dollar value unto itself because none of these athletes ever keep the money to themselves. They pretty much all donate very signficantly to one charitable cause or another. My problem is with the idea of the guaranteed contract. Some sports leagues have it so players make the same even if they spend three-quarters of the time injured, and some even allow for deferred payments so the money comes in long after the player has retired... ridiculous.

16. erofant

erofant Members

And your example is for ONLY $1 million per year!!! What about the CEO's and other top executives who hand-select their corporate boards to vote them yearly pay packages of $5 million - $10 million - $20 million - up to HUNDREDS of $millions every year?????? EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! And those "tricky" CEO's try to hide their obscene pay by insisting that the actual cash portion is "only" $350,000 to $750,000 ......... but the REAL bulk of their pay is in the form of stock - which is worth multiple millions of dollars. Many in the public don't catch that trick - or don't understand it. At least the athletes are actually "doing the work" they're being paid for - they don't delegate it to others to do for them.

A CEO making $10 million per year breaks down like this, assuming he / she takes a 2 week vacation period .......

Working 50 weeks per year, that equates to $200,000 every week, $40,000 per day, $4000 per hour .................... every hour. Now executive types will claim they are working more than 50 hours per week - but keep in mind that they DELEGATE work responsibilities to "underlings" who actually do the work, and report back to the executives. And what about all the "work hours" spent on the golf courses, in country clubs eating and drinking sumptuous meals, attending numerous sporting events, etc.

Meanwhile .........

The actual workers are working longer and longer hours - many without overtime pay (courtesy of the most powerful union in the U.S. - the Chamber of Commerce, and their bought-and-paid-for-puppets THE REPUBLICAN PARTY). Many labor laws have been gutted, stripped, or eliminated by THAT REPUBLICAN PARTY, so that many workers are now conveniently labelled as "exempt" from being paid overtime pay. THIS IS F-A-C-T. Any claim otherwise is BULLSHIT. So now U.S. workers are working longer and longer hours for less and less pay.

This is all accomplished at the request of THE CHAMBER of COMMERCE - the business lobby representing CEO's and top executives everywhere - and their bought-and-paid-for-puppets in THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. Since T**** and Moscow Mitch McConnell packed the U.S. "Supreme Court" with hyper-conservative judges, watch for an all-out assault on unions and the right to collectively bargain for pay & benefits ........ and then a "Supreme Court" decision in 100% complete favor of big business and against workers' rights. It's coming ............ just wait & see. If no one ever revealed this to any of you - you heard it here first. This has been in the works for DECADES ....... for those who don't pay attention.

So, Oldguynurse ---- It appears you nurses have been WAAAAAY overpaid all these years for doing a job that pretty much anyone can do. Hospitals can just go outside and turn over some rocks to find numerous qualified people to be nurses ......... right??? Same with teachers, electricians, programmers, code writers, systems analysts, pipefitters, lab technicians, etc., etc., etc. American workers will either STAND TOGETHER for better pay, benefits, and working hours .......... or ............ we ALL SINK TOGETHER. = huge bonuses for all the CEO's, top executives, THE CHAMBER of COMMERCE, and highly-paid, cushy, "do-nothing reward jobs" within corporate "America" for the REPUBLICAN POLITICIANS who made it happen.

Just watch.