Are Political Correctness and identity politics destroying America?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Okiefreak, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Ah. American problems.

2. Yea, I shudder to think where I'll be when the state and federal taxes roll over me like Fred Flintstone's car. As for the wealthy, some of those folks are sitting on enough money to pay bills for a whole city. Instead, they ferret it away to Switzerland and Costa Rica while trying to calculate a way to whip another nickel from each of our hides.

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Unverifiable and possibly ridiculous.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

According tk a quick Google search, 36.9% Or...was that 39.6%?

Either way, 50% is a pretty significant increase.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Yeah. He should make it 49% instead, for looks if nothing else. :) lol

I joke about it but I'm sure if federal taxes started to pay for things like Health Care and Tuition the rich would vote Bernie out of office.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...rome..69i57.4640j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT: the more I look at it the more I like the idea though. :D

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats the marginal tax rate
    The marginal tax rate under Eisenhower was 91% so not unprecedented
    And that was during the 50s when America was a thriving superpower and economic powerhouse...presumably the "great" in make america great again

7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Yeah you're right. The Klan has fallen on dark times, although as the oldest of the present-day American hate groups, it's still the best known, with 42 chapters active in 21 states. The Klan's reputation of being a bunch of inbred rednecks hurts it with millenials. Trouble is, white racist supremacy groups are on the rise and growing in membership. https://nypost.com/2018/02/21/kkk-c...t-other-hate-groups-are-on-the-rise/According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, the number of hate groups has grown 20% since 2014. Hate groups in US grow for third straight year: SPLC The Klan now competes with the League of the South, a neo-Confederate group, for the Southern bigot constituency, while neo-Nazis like Vanguard America, the Rise Above Movement, and the Traditionalist Workers Party attract racists looking for a harder edge and identity Evropa and Herbert Spencer's AltRight appeal to the college educated crowd. https://nypost.com/2018/02/21/kkk-chapters-are-dwindling-but-other-hate-groups-are-on-the-rise/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  8. The SPLC adjusts the scores as they see fit. It skews their perspective to the point that I wouldn't trust their opinion without really looking close at who they refer to as "haters". It's easy to slap a label on people. Same as reducing the blood alcohol limit, you suddenly get a whole new stock of DUI cases. If the number of hate groups is really on the rise is it because more people are hating? Or because what qualifies as a hate group changes with the winds.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Not really,

Everyones immediate family isnt made up of every race on the planet.

Unless one claims they wouldnt put their family first, instead share everything equally with other races. Well the they are putting one race above the others.

A definition no one will care about, yet still true, and I said just a matter of degree.

At least because of family reasons, people will put members of their own race or the race of their son/daughter in laws above other races

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Cool.

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I doubt that everyone is racist, but a difference of degree can become a difference in kind, as it is with Trump voters.

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Does that make any sense at all? A person who puts family above all would do so against all people outside the family, whether of the same race or not. Unless you could show that a person discriminates against outsiders on the basis of race in putting family first, you have no case.

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I believe that the 95 % was AFTER a certain threshhold was reached--not that much on everything one made. May be the same now with the 39 %.

Meliai and soulcompromise like this.
  14. Noserider

I've become convinced that this biggest detriment to the US isn't identity politics or political correctness; it's the ever-widening divide between right and left. People blame Obama and Trump for dividing us. No, we divide ourselves. We are forming up in opposition of each other, and some people--some of whom even post on this board--welcome a kind of civil war. There's right, there's left, and then there's the handful of us going, "Yeah, I'm not going to play that game."

WritersPanic likes this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think the vast majority dont want to play that game
    The ones who do are just a lot louder and obnoxious

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I tried to look it up. Politifact had an answer, but I didn't like it/wasn't a straight answer. I guess something is better than nothing. I don't have it in for the rich, but I like that there would be free health care for everyone.

I feel kind of bad because so many are against that way of thinking. Is it really that unfair? I would pay it, but I'm a fairly charitable person; giving to charity was sort of ingrained in my upbringing.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The rich could pay massive amounts of taxes and still be rich... But they would rather pay none. So they pay politicians massive amounts of money to make sure they don't have to pay taxes...

Yeah, they haven't thought that out very well.

18. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In 1950, the 91% went into effect after income reached 200,000. Not many had that kind a' dough in those days. The effective collection rate was approx--40%

19. Noserider

I don't know that this even all that true anymore. The entertainment industry is notorious for two things: being incredibly wealthy, and being incredibly liberal. I don't think it's the rich private citizens that are doing this; I think it's corporations, and lobbyists for insurance companies.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You have set up a premise on the assumption discrimination ( and discrimination implied in a negative sense, discrimination just means differentiate) is the only test for racism

All I really have to show to have a case would be "outsiders" and "family" are two different groups, and that one of those groups cant possibly contain all races for the statement - Everybody is Racist to be true

There doesnt have to be intent there, doesnt have to be conscious or even appear to be negative. Racism just means to differentiate based on race

Whether its differentiating family first, local community, state/territory, Nationalism, the not in my back yard stuff....all these things give rise to racism whether its intentional or not