Are Political Correctness and identity politics destroying America?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Okiefreak, Nov 7, 2018.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm not sure any of those qualify as "safe spaces" but I digress...

Does the comparison to such a homogenized population not raise a flag for you?

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's that ole Ad Hominen that so many like to use as a catalyst for their talking points on the Hipforums.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

How are they not safe spaces? Outside thought on things like intergration are not tolerated. It's a space where you are safe from pro Black, pro Jew, pro queer rhetoric.
    No idea what you're asking here.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The parallel you're drawing between safe spaces amongst the PC crowd and "safe spaces" amongst the KKK. I'm asking... you don't find this disconcerting?

5. Noserider

Still not following.

Are you asking if I'm bothered by the fact that I can draw that parallel? Or because both diametrically opposed groups utilize safe spaces?

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The former

7. Noserider

No. Why would that bother me?

8. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

There's no point in revealing who you are if its all just Professional Wrestling smack talk, but the NSA already has computers that can figure out who you are just by the way you walk, and technologies such as crisper and other things are making anonymity a thing of the past. Within about twenty years they should be able to track everyone in the continental US, and even look beneath your cloths for weapons from across the street using a cellphone sized device. Mr Spock can have a tricorder made just for the FBI to track down people. If they want to bring you in, they can send a swarm of robots. The Pentagon is shooting for being able to easily launch 400 at a time, they might even use Amazon's planned automated delivery trucks and drones, now that Amazon is moving to Crystal City.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

If you find the KKK's type of in-group homogeny desirable I guess it wouldn't. But I know many don't, which is why I asked the question.

10. The PC crowd really does need to toughen up, though. You're up against people who get off on mass shootings and you're just like, crying in showers and stuff... I dunno...

11. Noserider

Where did I say that was desirable?

12. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

There's a difference between wanting people to be respectful and denying that they are as disrespectful as they come.

WritersPanic likes this.
  13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Post a link for KKK "safe spaces" as properly understood and we'll continue at this...

Otherwise I'm not very interested in exploring it further as it's decaying into a semantics thing.

14. Noserider

Oh

Meliai likes this.
  15. You have to set an example of respect and virtually no one does this. People are not respectable anymore, whether it's because they act like beasts or they tolerate a society in which beastiality is accepted.

*note: I know that last sentence was wrong, but it sounds funny.

Irminsul likes this.
  16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You've been watching right wing media a lot, haven't you? Or Jordan Peterson's YouTube rants. Everybody who watches those knows that political correctness is a Neo-Marxist, Post-Modernist plot cooked up by left-wing academics to destroy western Judeo-Christian civilization and suppress freedom of speech. What they don't tell you though is that right-wing political correctness (RWPC) is real and as bad.

One of the most prominent examples is the right wing hysteria surrounding the "War on Christmas". In response to the growing diversity of U.S. society, business corporations began telling their clerks and salespeople to greet customers with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas'". As a result, right wind snowflakes were offended to their very core, and demanded that the heathens acknowledge the primacy of the majority religion by saying "Merry Christmas" instead--threatening boycotts if this was not done. Bill O'Relly warned on Fox in 2004: "All over the country, Christmas is taking flak. In Denver this past weekend, no religious floats were permitted in the holiday parade there. In New York City, Mayor Bloomberg unveiled the holiday tree and no Christian Christmas symbols are allowed in the public schools. Federated Department Stores, Macy’s, have done away with the Christmas greeting, “Merry Christmas.” And why was this happening? According to Bill it was a conspiracy by secular progressives who "realize that America as it is now will never approve of gay marriage, partial birth abortion, euthanasia, legalized drugs, income redistribution through taxation, and many other progressive visions because of religious opposition. But if the secularists can destroy religion in the public arena, the brave new progressive world is a possibility. That’s what happened in Canada. " O Reilly called for a boycott of offending retailers, spawning the formation of the Committee to Save Merry Christmas, soon joined by the American Family Association, the Catholic League, and other Christian groups, calling for a boycott of Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, and other retail outlets owned by Federated Department Stores to compel them to reinstate the phrase “Merry Christmas” in their holiday presentations and greetings to customers. The following year,Sears, Kmart, Kohl’s, Target, Walmart, and Costco were added to the boycott list. By 2006, the boycotted stores capitulated--a major victory for RWPC. Trump promised at the Value Voters Summit in Washington, D.C., in 2017:"We’re saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again.”

Then there is the flap over African-American football players bending a knee instead of standing for the national anthem. The players said they meant no disrespect to the nation or our armed services, but were doing this to protest police violence toward African-Americans. In other words, they wanted to exercise their right to freedom of speech. President Trump disagreed. In a 2017 Twitter post , he said “The issue of kneeling has nothing to do with race. It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL must respect this!” There ensued an heated national controversy, aided by Russian trolls and bots.People on both sides took to Twitter, under hashtags such as #boycottnfl, #takeaknee and #standforouranthem. Again, the forces of RWPC won when the NFL announced : “All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem.”

Then there's flag burning. Some of us thought that issue was settled back in 1989,when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld flag burning as an example of "expressive conduct" protected by the First Amendment. Even conservative Antonin Scalia agreed on that one. The Supreme Court later struck down Congress' effort to reinstate prohibition of flag burning by statute. Yet Trump tweeted in 2016 :"Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag -- if they do, there must be consequences -- perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!" I could go on and on with further examples. I agree that political correctness is garbage, although probably not "the worst thing to ever happen." To understand its impact, though, I think we have to move beyond the mostly right wing rhetoric characterizing PC as leftwing, since RWPC is at least as virulent, with powerful backing and funding.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I know rite, who hasnt heard of Kim, Khloe and Kourtney?

WritersPanic likes this.
  18. Noserider

I used to think Khloe was hot. Then she lost all that weight.

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The Right seems more concerned about Political Correctness in regards to symbolic expression (granted language is symbolic in the literal sense, which I attribute to concerns primarily of the left) and maintaining tradition. These are also good examples of what I meant earlier when I said Political Correctness attempts to limit freedom of expression.

20. The whole thing, right-wing and left-wing is totally immature. Neither side respects each other at all and both sides make these petty little demands of each other. Which are really beside the point. I don't think for a second the right is really offended by a War on Christmas. It's just a jab at the left. I don't understand how this country stands the way it is, so divided. All we've got to unite us is terrorism (as long as the terrorists are Arab.)

Irminsul likes this.