Are Greeks europeans?

Discussion in 'Greece' started by Ladylocks, May 10, 2005.

1. diafanos

diafanos Member

What the hell? this thread is still active? dont know what to say. i m greek. but my only home is my childhood.peace

2. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Oy, Guitarman, where is that picture taken? Looks like a cool place. If there wasn't that one big bright light under the church steeple, and it was bigger, I would like the pic alot.

3. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Yeah, my mom loved Montenegro. We were staying in Dubrovnik at the time, and I couldn't get away from there. So, I didn't see Budva or any of Montenegro, I loved Dubrovnik too much. Climbed up to Napoleon's fort and had a look around. It was creepy.

4. NeuroDr

NeuroDr Member

im greek...happy easter!!!

5. yovo

yovo Member

I'd like to delve into the OPs opinion because it is sort of an interesting question in that it raises the larger question of what is a european?

Is European really synonomous with white? All the founding cultures/civilisations of europe ultimately came from elseswhere originally and were continually infused with intercontinental migration throughout history. Ultimately I would say culture and civilization seemed to spread from east to west in europe's history going all the way back to babylon and moving forward we had the movement of the phonecians, aryians, celts, greeks, romans, automans, etc, etc. The only reversal in this trend of a western infusion was the southern expansion of the germanic tribes.

So I'd say Greeks are just as european as the rest. Europe isn't really a culture but just another spot on the map where history and the MOVEMENT of peoples has left its mark.

That's the problem with our nationalistic mode of history it just muddles the big picture of ONE race (the human race) on the move and evolving. There's been periods of isolation here and there, and from that some unique cultures have formed, but history and geography has a way of mixing it up on a continual basis.

Here's another question for ya to get you thinking:

My ancestory is mostly erupoean (french, british isles, ukranian) but most of the mixing and matching amongst those different cultures happened here in North America over the past 300 years. So am I European or North American? And if I am North American what does that make "native" Americans (who ultimately came from asia at some point durring the last ice age).

I guess my point is that we should all take caution in labeling ourselves and others as one thing or another and should instead seek out our common roots for better understanding of identity.

6. Manoula

Manoula Guest

sad that the identity of a people has to do with so much racism. that's why nationalism is bullshit. especially for people who have had so many influences. making greek culture look purely european is depressing. this is a culture created by layers and layers of african, asian, and european influence. we're all african, so big deal. but greeks have a particular cocktail that lends an air of multiculutralism + individual flair that is wonderful. i grew up there. i'm an american. i used to come back from greek vacations and wonder why light skinned blacks were not greeks. they looked the same to me. but here, white, black, brown, whatever--so many divisions divide us. there, well, europe dictates the identity of everybody.

greeks are not turks. they are greeks. they are also really closely related to turks. some people like to make greeks look like the theives of turkish culture. but we were their slaves. it's hard to steal culture from your slave master. but oh well. so believe the people of now. the turks are so villified because they had the audacity to interrupt the crusades. how dare they!! hahahaha. sorry to make light, especially as a greek (by the way, i speak both modern and katharevousa and some attic), but how hilarious!! the turks made everybody run for their dinner. and the truth is that the real greeks actually have a love-hate reverence for the turks.. it's time to get over lost empires and embrace the coming of new unions. greeks and turks are cousins, always were. as with egyptians, jordanians, IRAQUIS especially. as a southern greek, i am very aware of how closesly linked my ancestors are to ancient Uruk (Iraq). same clothes, same cooking, dialectic links,etc. Greece was, simply put, usurped by "the west" (rome, england, prussia) and made a pawn for representational grandeur--misplaced, to say the least. Alexander was not from the west, he was from the west of the east. Not to excuse any violence or imposition of system, but let's be honest here. The "old world" is pretty integral. It's convenient to categorize according to conquest level. It's also very racist. Check the motivation.

And for Greeks who talk all that white shit? You're crazy. And you're probably really ashamed of your cousin with the dark elbows. Chill.

Manoula "na xerosaste tin arapiah sas!"

7. efstratios

efstratios Guest

I'm a proud Greek here. And I would like to say, we have NOTHING in relation to Africans or Turks! Say that to a Greek nationalist or a Chrysi Avgi (fascist) member and they will literally kill you!

Turks are from the East, Greeks are NOT! Greeks are a white or a tanned people. We CANNOT be Turkish because Greeks came to the current land thousands of years before the Turks even knew what Greeks were!

I find a lot of these posts offensive!

8. 52~unknown~52

52~unknown~52 Member

the only thing i know about turks is they can be brown to white, and they are not greek. my neighbors, a lot of them are turkish, im even learning the language to talk with them lol, and they all have different skin pigments... it's like an olive tone... white but with a tan sort of...... anyway, genetics and where you are on the globe affect your pigmentation, not your country.

9. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

like you i also find some of these posts really offensive - but i also think they are infused with a huge amount of ignorance - people talking about things without even having lived or experienced the country. little bit of an exaggeration with nationalists/ chrisi avgi killing you.....not really of course!

however some of this has made me laugh a lot! my children (although they are adults well into their 20s) from my first partner are greek, born in greece. they get upset when they hear a cypriot call themselves greek! and they are not pure greek as i am not greek and have one grandfather born and bred in mumbai, india. so how's that for a genetic melting pot?

what has made me laugh alot though is the concept that there is a pure greek race......not. if you look back through history - and i mean ancient history - and look at migration and politics, there is a huge amount of mixed genes. this is quite common all over europe. the larger the empire the bigger the genetic mix potential.

who cares what colour you are anyway - unless you are an ignorant facist red necked bastard. do i take it that the OP has not been to greece perhaps? or perhaps europe even?

10. stash napt

stash napt Member

Are you kidding me?!?! Turks are persian/mongols.. And pure ethnic Greeks are as pale as can be! They look nothing similer! Not to mention Greeks predate them buy about sum 2000 years.... The turks migrated into turkey.

11. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

I have lived in greece on and off since 1967. in order for this to be relevant you need to look at current history rather than bury yourself in the past. Furthermore, genetically there is no such thing as a pure race. Hello???? And I think I have only encountered a couple of really pale Greeks ever. Most peoples who live around the Med are olive skinned, this is a natural phenomenon north of the Med in Europe or south of the Med in North Africa. Also ancient Greece was made out of many different kingdoms, there was no such thing as Greece but rather Hellenes, Spartans, Athenians, Thessalians, Minoans etc.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am missing something in the sentence "the turks migrated into turkey"
    ......actually by 1453 the Byzantine Empire found itself under siege resulting in it's collapse, from the Ottomans, who had been basically a nomadic people but there had been a state of war with hostilities since the 11th century between the two sides. The language of the Byzantines was Greek. Once the Byzantine empire fell to Ottoman rule this is when the beginning of a turkish culture occurred. There was no Turkey as such until 1923 after the fall of the Ottoman empire at the end of the first world war when Attaturk established the first Republic of Turkey.

Dear me, do they teach nothing in schools anymore? Please back up your arguments with fact - real fact not random pluckings out of thin air!

12. political squaw

political squaw Member

Hail Greece :D

Sea Breeze, where in Greece have you lived? are you still around?

13. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

i lived in athens - down town in ambelokipos and out in the burbs in glyfada as well as many years on mykonos (in the 70's and 80's), sometime also in thessalia and a summer in poros/hydra....now i am in the uk. i have been talking about going to greece later in the year

14. political squaw

political squaw Member

glyfada is a nice area to live. quite pricey though. I lived aomost 7 years in Thessaloniki, now I live in Athens. nearby St Larissis :D basically downtown. Feel free to get in touch if you ever come around. I come from Ukraine but live in Greece now for several years. I lived in germany before greece for almost 2 years. I am oing to the states in june for 6 months if everything works out, will be back to Greece around xmas

15. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Greeks are of course European, they are the first to have democracy as well, and mathematics and somewhat advanced architecture for Europe. Europe is a continent, not a skin color!! Some Europeans have darker skin, others have pale skin and blonde hair, and blue eyes, this does not mean that darker skinned Europeans are not Europeans, skin color means only one thing, the color of the persons skin, not that they are not European, when their ancestors may have lived there for thousands of years...come on Ladylocks , quit buying into the idea of Europeans as being all pale skinned types, thats northern Europeans, Race is not made up of people becasue of a similar look.

16. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

Persians are not the same as Turks,and the Persians are not Mongols either. Persia was a center for learning and culture before the arabs arrived, and it was far ahead in many areas than most of Europe was at the time, in Science, mathematics and so on..I'm not of Persian heritage, or Iran now, but I have read about many cultures. You should really study history and such also before saying falsehoods about whole groups of people!!

17. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

yeah, yesterday i met a scottish person with a tan and not playing bagpipes..... tis all very suspicious :frown:

18. political squaw

political squaw Member

Yeah the op is retarded. I think she meant "are greeks europoid?" rather than european, everyone who was born, grew up and lives in europe is european culturally, politically and geographically. But when you don't even know what you are talking about better stfu and don't start a major confusion, asking about things that are beyond your comprehension.

Answering her question though, yes greeks are europoid (or caucasian ). Europoid (caucasian) race has many sub-groups among which there is mediterranean race (indo-mediterranean in modern anthropology). So yeah, bitch, greeks are white :D too bad she is gone by now

19. Aesthete

Aesthete Member

Most Greeks look more European than anything else. And of course, what's so ironic about this topic is that the very notion of Europe originated in Greece. Greeks are European, period.

20. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

since when does european automatically = white

aside from the idiocy of race...

greece is located (geographically) within the boundaries of europe. so, yes. they're european.