Are Greeks europeans?

Discussion in 'Greece' started by Ladylocks, May 10, 2005.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

This is probably the most backwards thing I've ever heard.

There's no such thing as a geographic Europe? OMG, to think I wasted all that time looking at atlases, learning geography, etc.... silly me, believing there was such a thing as continents!

Maybe I'm not really Canadian, despite the fact that I was born and raised here? I mean, if there isn't a geographic Europe, there mustn't be a geographic North America as well? What about white people living in Africa? Their culture and heritage is African, despite their race ~ would they in fact be European?

Listen, maybe it's my absolute complete ignorance, but if you don't want to believe that you're European despite being born/raised/have roots in a European country, then believe whatever you want. It's backwards, but believe what you wish.

There's little about this thread that makes sense to me. Ladylocks, I really don't know how you get this sort of information, but it's a little misguided, to say the least.

2. tony232cool

tony232cool Member

i dont think european union will survive, it doesnt seem to have a cohesive force keeping all these countries together and making up for their differences. I agree that turkish influence in europe has been the worst thing happening to europe.

3. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

I agree on that one...

4. Retropirate

Retropirate Member

Culturally, foodwise and based on physical appearances, Greeks are closer to the orient.

In Germany for sure the Greeks are discriminated as 2nd class citizens for being "blackie's".

5. camputer

camputer Member

Ofcourse greeks are europeans, what are you talking !!!!!!!
    there are many site that talk about this issue like the guidetocyprus for example

William

6. ss26

ss26 Member

Turks Greeks Italians are mediternian peoples and they look like each other. they have blondes as well as swarthies.

7. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

The Ancient Greeks are responsible for the vision of Europe we have today, they are probably the most influential Civilization to have made an impact on our world today, The Greeks of today never lost this link with their Glorious past, they are as European as i am.
    Anyone who says differently is an Idiot, let's not bandy our words here, if you think Greece is not part of Europe you are infact, a raging idiot who needs a history lesson.

8. ss26

ss26 Member

dont be FUNNY! Ottoman Empire was a TURKISH Empire.

9. Georgi

Georgi Member

In 1453 turks conquered Constantinopol (today Istanbul). Turks are not european, although 3% ot their territory is in Europe. Turkey will become a member of the EU for sure, not because Europeans wants their membership, but because the three great sharks England, France and Germany have benefit of their membership. Turkey is somehow buffer between Europe and the Middle East. Better democratic Turkey in EU, than a shelter for Al Kaida.

10. wolf_at_door

Today I was just thinking about how much energy we spend on people who don't wanna listen anyway; how much of our energy we lose on trying convincing rednecks who won't understand a flying fuck anyway... same rednecks who point fingers at us, even call us the losers... (ha-ha!)...

Why are we spending our precious time on idiots?... Are we overrating ourself? Will hippies feel the nemesis of their pride someday? Will karma punish us for being so fucking good human beings?

love,
    -wolf-

11. Labeu

Labeu Member

Ok this post is actually kinda insulting,Im greekand and brown-blond hair and really blue eyes.The thing is that greece was controlled by turks for 400 years.There a some places in greece,like mani from where i come from that was not really controlled.Most of greece has been mied up with the turks,thats how the get there brown skin brown eyes thing.But now if you go to mani,and other places to, and hit the villages,you will see tha most of the are BLOND haired and blue eyed.Its freaky cause the look like swedish more than mediterrenean.peace out

12. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

You'll get crucified for calling them Turkish! But being European doesn't depend on having white skin. Greece is a member of the EU in the diverse continent of Europe. It is European. Turkey is also European and is applying for membership of the EU....

13. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Invasion implies external coercion. A revolution is not an invasion, nor is an election. By your logic we might suggest Britain was invaded by Tony Blair, which is simply inaccurate, no matter how much we dislike him. Whilst it is important to seperate the people from the regime, the incorrect use of the word invade is misleading and unnecessary when there are far more accurate words available....

14. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Turkey are going to have to give Cyprus back, if they have any hopes of joining the EU.

15. bred564

bred564 Member

Yes, Greeks are white and they are European.

"The most comprehensive study of Y-chromosomal diversity in Europe thus far is Rosser et al., [1]. The human Y chromosome is passed on from father to son. One can thus study one half of a population's ancestry (along the paternal line) by studying the Y-chromosome. Greek Y-chromosomes belong to haplogroups HG1, HG2, HG3, HG9, HG21 and HG26. None of the 35 Greek Y chromosomes are of non-Caucasoid origin.
    A second Y-chromosome study including Greeks have also shown similar results. Helgason et al., [2] reports one HG16 sequence of North Eurasian provenance in a sample of 42 Greeks (at least 97.6% Caucasoid). To put this in perspective, eight HG16 chromosomes occur in 110 Swedes (at least 92.7% Caucasoid) and three HG16 sequences in 112 Norwegians (at least 97.3% Caucasoid) were also found. HG16 is shared by many populations ranging from Europe to Mongolia. Its origin has been placed by [7] in the Eastern range of its current geographical distribution.

A third Y-chromosome study, by Malaspina et al., [3] which included a sample of 28 continental and 83 Cretan Greeks (total sample size of 111) found no evidence of the presence of non-Caucasoid Y chromosomes in Greeks.

A fourth Y-chromosome study, by Semino et al., [4] included 76 Greeks and 20 Macedonian Greeks. One Eu6 lineage, corresponding to HG10/HG36 [5] is probably of East Asian origin. One Eu17 lineage corresponds to HG 28 which is frequent in Central Asia and the Indian subcontinent [6]. In total, admixture of 2.1% is detected (if we label HG 28 as non-Caucasoid).

A fifth Y-chromosome study, by Weale et al., [8] included 132 Greek students from Athens. The same haplogroups found in [1] were detected in this study. No non-Caucasoid chromosomes were found.

The most recent and comprehensive study of Greek Y-chromosomes, by Di Giacomo et al., [9] included 154 individuals from continental Greece and 212 from Crete, Lesvos and Chios. In total, Greeks from thirteen separate locations were examined, thus giving the most complete picture of variation so far. A single haplogroup A chromosome was found (in Lesvos) which is usually found in Africa. The remainder belonged to haplogroups found in Caucasoid populations. The breakup (in percent) of the haplogroups observed) based on the set of markers typed is as follows. "

And I have seen my share of Greeks that can pass for pale Britons or Swedes easily like the ones below.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Hey all, just wanted to come by and check out the most racist post on the hipforums. This post cracks me up, just because I'm always surprised to hear from the supremely ignorant. Labeu, I'm not surprised you are insulted, though I wouldn't think to much about it. The poster is either really stupid or was pulling a joke, hard to tell. I'm from Miami, and I regularly see fair skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed people (like me) that don't speak english, only spanish. We're all mixed up.

17. wolf_at_door

Is this thread really still alive?!?!
    Questions about small differences between the race Homo Sapiens are indifferent.

People who come here and claim something different - you're welcome - but , please, don't call yourself "a hippie" or "a free spirit", just because you're OH so free to hate your next & feel OH so free to fuck the rest.

If that's your drive, you're not a hippie. Then you're just an overrated megalomanic narcissist poor fuck.

love,
    /wolf

[​IMG]

18. repro-bait

repro-bait a real reprobate.

woweeeee......such steaM........ ok, lets get real here.
    i am welsh. born in wales, a part of the uk.
    a greek is a man born in greece.... a part of europe for the last 2,000 years, and now a part of the eurpean union.
    qed.

19. wolf_at_door

Lots of us has spent a lot of time trying to figure out what Ladylocks is bitching about.

But our efforts was waste of time. There was nothing to figure out. Ladylocks just like to bitch and that's it...

20. Ressotaspiks Man

Ressotaspiks Man Member

Well Ladylocks is long gone ,as I understand.
    But anyway , I think the European /non distinction is interesting.

Greece in some ways is very different culturally to *Western* Europe.
    Plus where was ancient Greece from ?The Minoans ?Phoenecians?I dunno , basically in some way or other , Asian races , I suspect.But , there again Ancient Asia had blonde "Aryan" races too.

So , to answer the question , yes Id say Greece could be viewed as *partly* non European.That doesnt make it bad , it makes it all the more rich and fascinating.

Races *are* different , and that doesnt mean "inferior or superior".
    I think it would be a huge shame if we were told we could never discuss races and for the whole world to blend into one uniform culture and race without all its different variations.