Are Greeks europeans?

Discussion in 'Greece' started by Ladylocks, May 10, 2005.

1. Alexia

Alexia Member

Well I met a lot of 'europeans' and they think greeks are as undesirable as immigrants. you are a poor country, lazy/corrupt people and take away hard working aid money from hard working white people in the eu. All the north europeans seem eager to leave the european union. And i think thats whats happening. people have had enough of globalisation and want to go back to their own values.

Your 'greek greatness' is irrelavent as we just have to look at the state of your small and insignificant country today and for the last 2,000 years.

2. tulip

tulip Member

Is it just me or does anyone else think that this thread starter was just taking the piss? I mean seriously... Check out some of the other threads this person has started... Hindus, Italians, Gypsies in Romania, Greeks... come on... :rolleyes:

3. diafanos

diafanos Member

:( :( Alexia whats wrong with you girl???you hate and blame a whole people! you are a racist, you consider the greeks as the enemy of the
    fine-white-north-american race(??) for the name of Christ!!!!!

:eek: HEY PEOPLE!!!!:eek: Are the opinions of Alexia considered to be democratic and especially hipp-ish??? am i really on the Hip forum or on the forum of the nazis?? im confused. . . .

Tulip i totally agree wit you . . .

any comments?

4. LooLoo

LooLoo Member

Yup, I was just starting to think that myself... I've just seen her going on about the Chinese 'Yellow Peril' haha!

5. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

First of all: turks are not arabs.

Second: greeks are not turks.

Third: If greeks are not europeans, who are europeans, and why?

Fourth: Ofcourse there are white, arab, oriental, and black europeans. To deny that fact, because some paler tribe has been living here some thousands years longer than another tribe, would be the same as to say that there are no white americans, because the red indians lived there thousands of years before the spanish came with all their ships to mess it all up. So for which purpose does this whole debate matter?

Fifth: According to a continential definition, Greece is also a part of Europe - The Asian continent begins at the east-end of Istanbul in Turkey. Millions of turks are europeans, also according to a geographical definition.

love and understanding,
    wolf.

6. Erol

Erol Member

take a look at www.wikipedia.org there you will find enough information about greeks, turks and arabs

7. Dude

Dude Member

Are you a racist?

8. ccr

ccr Member

The country that gave birth to most European ideals,is being denied its heritage............Please

9. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

ok - let's look at some other continents.

Africa... I know and have known quite a few people who's family or them themselves come from morocco/algeria/egypt, and NONE of them look like they have a hint of black blood in them.

Asia... Chinese=Indian?

The others are a little difficult to bring into the mix, as there's the whole colony business, but if you do count them, they prove it to an even greater extent. Continent does not equal Colour.

10. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Greeks are white.

All Mediterranean people are white.(Greeks, Italians, Siclians, Spanish, Portugese)

And most Turkish people I'd say are white too. In fact I remember reading an article on this on the BBC, one of the more Islamic parties in Turkey, their slogan actually is "white Islam"

11. Dude

Dude Member

i saw a black dude when i was in greece... it probalby means greeks are africans

12. wonderboy

wonderboy the secret of your power!

^^ lol

uh well spain is part of europe, and spanish people aren't exactly pure white (i'm partly spanish, yeah it doesn't show but my dad has darker skin)... skin colour has fuck all to do with what continent you're from.

13. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Exactly!

Also Turks and Greeks were invaded by the Ottoman empire same as Hispania (modern day Spain & Portugal) were invaded by the Moors hence the darker skin.

14. satirul

satirul Member

this is funny.but i shouldn't be laughing,each to his own,i suppose i know next to nothing about american history,tribal unions and their laws compared to you.

1.geographically,greeks are european
    2.culturally,europe is greek.greeks invented most sciences (the only "sciences" invented by other europeans are alchemy and demonology),philosophy,democracy,athlethics,debates by word not fist, and so on.99% of latin culture has been copied from the greeks then spread throughout europe.also,turks are greek,culturally.they don't roam in tents anymore,you know.their cultural center was Istanbul,formerly known as Constantinopolis,center of east romanity,which by the time turks came had greek as an official language.this says much.
    3.demographically,greeks are a mix of pre-indoeuropean (mycenian,if i'm not mistaking),and 2 indoeuropean cultures (ionians and dorians).the latter have wiped out the original civilisation and are the ancestors of the greeks of today.the only non-european people on the european teritory are Finnish,Hungarian and gypsies.

european does not mean germanic/celt/northerner.

i am not greek,nor a fan of greeks,but i give credit for their merits.

also,you should not judge a people by it's immigrants.immigrants are people who couldn't make it in their own country,so they came to your place.they are,USUALLY,part of the bottom of their people's society,with little education,civil sense and skills.

15. satirul

satirul Member

spacer,turks were the Ottoman Empire,they weren't invaded by it.

16. Spacer

Apologies meant to just say Greece, well also Albania and other countries all the way up to Hungary.

17. Spacer

Like all the Roma we have in Ireland!!

18. Erol

Erol Member

hi
    originaly turks came from central asia, they were nomades and spread over a very wide area. up to date there are many turkic countries in central asia like kasachstan, kirgisia, uzbekistan, turkmenistan, azerbaidjan, the xin jiang(uyghur) in china... the old turk are asians and the nearest relatives of them were mongoles. both languages, turkish languages and mongolian belong to the altai language family, both have the same grammar. later, turkic nomades moved west (first the hunnes, around 600) later seldcukes and osmanes who found a new home in anatolia.
    so todays turks in turkey are very mixed up, possibly one of the most mixed people in the world. they mixed up with the anatolian people (greeks!!!, arabs, also with kurdish people!!!, aramenian(not armenian), persians and many more. so they have asian, oriental and european roots.
    today there are still many people in turkey who look more european than oriental, mostly the black sea area and istanbul. but the most look oriental.

during the ottoman empire, the official language was ottoman(a turkic language, with many words from persian and arabic!!!) but all languages of the minorities were allowed, such as greek, armenian, jewish...

and their culture is not greek! there may be elements of greek culture, but the turkish culture is a mix again, (asian) turkish culture mixed up with islamic culture, and especially during the ottoman area they had influences from persia!! not greek.
    todays culture of greek is heavily influenced of the turkish culture, you find many in music, the food...
    one example of how greek culture influneced the turkish was the architecture, their architecture was heavily influenced by the byzantinian(greek) architecture. that is true.

take a look at www.osmanlisanati.com
    about turkish, osmanic culture and arts.

i'm half turkish half german, and my family (the turkish side) comes from istanbul. my great-grandfather was a merchant in istanbul and so i'm quite familiar and interested with/in turkish/ottoman culture.
    and yes greeks are europeans!!

19. Erol

Erol Member

20. wolf_at_door

wolf_at_door Senior Member

There was no ottoman people to invade anything - but turks led the Ottoman Empire...
    So yes, he can say the turks were invaded by it, by the same sense that the russians and many other people were invaded by the Soviet Union. Yes, it would make more sense to say that a people is 'occupied' or 'steered by' a certain regime, but if that was the meaning, I'll say that Spacer is right...

So... to say that turks were invaded by the Ottoman Empire is not a bigger mistake than to say that turks were the Ottoman Empire. A people is not its regime...

Thanks for your interesting explanation by the way, Erol...

love,
    -wolf-

p.s. Are you eating your shoe, Satirul!? ;)