Arctic Icecap Melting!

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by skip, May 20, 2004.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

The arctic icecap is melting faster than anyone imagined it would. In just THREE YEARS, the April temperature has risen from an average of -17 degrees celsius to -6 celsius. Huge patches of open water are appearing where there used to be solid cap all year round.

See:
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/87F5DB0E-7B11-43C0-BE0F-E41D0A3AA64B.htm

Scientist now say by the end of the century there will be no cap at all in summer.

I say they're wrong. As temperature rises each year more than the last, it won't take more than FIVE YEARS before the cap is gone!

What this means in terms of the world's climate is anyone's guess. Movies are being made about what is going to happen. And it ain't pretty.

Some say the earth will enter a new ice age (hard to believe if global warming is the problem). Others say the earth will begin to desertify even faster.

But the real problem lies far beneath the oceans. As the earths ocean's warm by degrees the previously frozen methane gas that lies trapped just beneath the bottom of the sea, will be suddenly released like a big belch (or fart!) over the period of a few years or less! This will trigger a cascade of ecological horrors that even the movies & scientists can't predict.

Although looking at the two times this happened before in the history of our planet (yes just two times before in billions of years, so this is not a common event), no fewer than 95% of all the species on this planet were wiped out...

My advice, get used to it...as fast as you can...or else...

2. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Skip thanks for the link.I just sent that out to everone on my e-mail list.

3. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I believe it. Seattle is just not as rainy and cool lately, and I mean the last few YEARS. It nice up here, makes me wonder how hot is Phoenix getting?

4. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

We just have to stay calm and stock up on duct tape and bottled water. BECAUSE DUCT TAPE AND BOTTLED WATER WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!1111!!!!1

Seriously though, movies aren't exactly a credible source of scientific observation, and we're due for an ice age anyway without the global warming. I read an article a while ago about how the atmosphere's natural carbon (the kind that can't be produced in factories) is rising at an alarming rate, and more natural carbon = a surefire sign of a coming ice age. I'll go see if I can find it and post a clicky.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the AA batteries. Because it would suck to have to sit through a 10,000 year ice age without your CD player and GBA.

5. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Yeah, heh, and the giant fucking hole above antarctica does'nt help much either.

6. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This issue is of concern to all habitants on earth, but us who live in the arctic and sub-arctic have begun to see noticable evidence. Winter temps have been way above average for the last four years and evidence of permafrost thaw have brought this to our attention. I've read reports from both sides, those who think it is a natural warming trend that will swing the otherway at some point and those who believe it is truely global warming. As much as I would like to believe it is a natural cycle, I cannot.

Us crazy folks who built homes on permafrost are spending more and more time in the spring leveling our houses. In 1985, when a test drilling was done close to my land, the permafrost was 17 feet below the surface. It is now at 20 feet (last year). Even with this years temperatures seeming to be more normal, more methane has bubbled from a local lake leaving much larger holes in the frozen surface than ever. The list goes on and on. Though I am sceptical, I can only hope the process of global warming can be reversed.

7. adigaskell

adigaskell Member

What do people think of the new movie about global warming? I've read some articles saying the science is very dubious. Do you think it will help the cause or put people off even more?

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

It's a movie. Movies are made to sell tickets, not inform the public. Don't take for fact anything you see in movies.

9. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

And what are those ecological disasters that scientists can't predict?

10. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

One thing is for sure.Things will not get better.There seems so many predictions that even the smallest one sucks and brings no comfort.

11. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
    Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
    Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.

12. Tamee

Tamee naked

Don't fear it. It will happen whether you do or don't. So I think the easiest way to handle it would be it get used to the idea and be at peace with it. If it's even going to happen. I have no idea about anything. I just hear a lot of shit.

13. skip

skip Founder Administrator

"I'm not lazy, I just don't care."

Yup, that's just the attitude that got us global warming in the first place.

And just what your government is counting on to continue leading the world in the emission of greenhouse gasses, and ignoring all global efforts to contain it (oh it might cost a few businesses a few dollars, and we can't have that, can we?)

14. Tamee

Tamee naked

That's not the attitude I have about everything. I just apply it to when people give a shit about dumb shit, and expect me to care about it also, and then when I don't, they call me lazy. Which I'm completely not. I care about life and the environment. What I don't care about is working my ass off for someone else and things like mowing the lawn, papering shelves (which I had to do for my grandparents because they started to call me lazy and threatened to kick me out)

15. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

I keep trying to throw a coup but the kids soccer practises and my tae bo classes are really hard to schedule around...

16. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Another thing which is pretty scary is amounts of carbon dioxide the Amazon rainforest is collecting. This is fertislising the forest and helping more and more plants and trees grow. But it isn't releasing oxygen at the same rate as it's collecting CO2.
    Some argue that it is just down to humans and the ever increasing amount of CO2 we are throwing at the Amazon. But the point still stands that the forest can't continue this way forever.

One day masses of CO2 will be released into the atmosphere, raising the earth's temperature by maybe just a few degrees. But this rise will lead to, as been described in this post, the melting ice caps and boiling oceans.

17. jendi17

jendi17 Member

Basically what is going to happen if the temperatures keep rising is the weather around the world is going to get completely messed up. There's so many factors....the ocean currents are going to change, the glaciers will melt and cause floods....etc. etc. It's so hard to predict what will happen. In most places there will be an ice age because the ocean currents will change and blow cold air on the land and freeze the flooded water. Some places it will be warmer, again , becasue of the ocean currents. It is just really hard to predict what will exactly happen.

18. darkstar8413

darkstar8413 Member

The Day After Tomorrow ------> As said, movies are produced to sell tickets but some movies, usually the better ones, do have some credibility. i went and saw this movie yesterday and the ideas are extremely accurate in it.

i.e. - simple concept --> Earth is an awesome force and it does what it wants, when it wants to survive. The Earth is daily becoming more and more agitated with the human race who she ALLOWS to occupy her. People are becoming too big for their shoes and now for some time have been taking the planet for granted and abusing it. As we continue to do this, Earth will become overwhelmed and have no choice but to rid herself of harmful occupants. Very soon i fear, life will cleanse itself on this planet; this is a beautiful site i'm sure and i would hope i'd get to see it begin one day. To the human race, it is a violent and potentially massively destructive occurance to the "race of man".