Arcata Humbolt U

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by jay, Jan 27, 2005.

1. sweet_dream

sweet_dream Member

I knew a guy who went to Humboldt for a few years then transferred to UC Davis, just west of Sacramento. He was very lonely in Humboldt and found it difficult to find his community. In Davis, however, he was immediately immersed in a community that cherished him, as most people who go to Davis find. The problem with Humboldt is that everything is spread out too much and it's hard to get around on a bike because of the hills. Also, the hippies in Arcata are more extreme and hardcore- many with attitudes. You find some of these people in Davis too but there is much more tolerance and diversity in Davis for the most part, and everyone there seems to find their role and their kindreds somehow, like I did and many others. The weather is also better in Davis because it doesn't rain nearly as much as it does in Arcata. However, the woods and scenery around Arcata is uniquely beautiful, and I am quite fond of southern Humboldt where the weather is somewhat warmer and dryer and where I know a lot of interesting and friendly people who live there in the mountains.