Arcata Humbolt U

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by jay, Jan 27, 2005.

1. jay

jay Member

Any good?, i want to transfer out of here. and arcata looks like a nice place, as does the university, but is it all like the boroucher says?

2. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Member

i went to humboldt on a recruiting trip four years ago (i was a hell of an athlete back in my day) and it is pretty cool. it's right there in the woods, you can see the ocean from certain parts of the campus, there is plenty of herb and parties. however, a lot of the people had some serious attitude (despite being "hippies"), it is literally in the middle of nowhere (i couldn't handle that), and, not to sound shallow, but if you like women, then humboldt is definitely not the place to be. it's not for everybody, but all i can suggest is to take a trip there and find out if it's for you.

3. jay

jay Member

Oh im from miles from anyplace, and thats the way i like it, but whats wrong with the women?

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I'm applying there. I've met people from there on the net and in life and they have only told me amazing things about it.

5. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Member

they're a bit man-ish. like i said, it's shallow, but you're gonna be there for four years...

6. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

The place is very beautiful. I went to visit a girl that I met at the roo' there like 2 years back and it rocked. Did some backpacking on the Lost Coast, hanging out on the beach, and drinking at the bars. The town and the people are beatiful, but if you have never been to a town like that and don't know what it is like it might not be for you.

7. Synaptic Ether

Synaptic Ether Member

i went to arcata with some friends on our way to burning man last summer. we just strolled into the park and were bombarded with drugs and kindness lol. so we chilled in the park and camped on the beach.

i looked into their U too. i think it would be nice to experience that place for a little while. but yea, this is sweet cuz i haven't heard anyone else mention arcata before. kinda wondered why... ^.^

8. sunshineforyou

sunshineforyou Member

It was awarded some national award for being one of the top college towns in the country. Humboldt County, man... that brings one image to my mind right away :)

9. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

If your car is dying like mine it sucks....it's all uphill, haha. I pretty much have to park at the bottom and walk in.

10. Katojam

Katojam Member

I'm moving to the Arcata/Eureka area in early June (before High Sierra;) ) and I was out there in January. You will love the town, and the people are all amazing. Very Kynd place, and I can't wait to get out there. The campus is pretty nice too, but like already mentioned, lots of hills.

11. Synaptic Ether

Synaptic Ether Member

yea man, i dunno how you CA people cope with all those hills. they almost killed the car we took. :)

12. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Okay, so I've applied finally... has anyone else actually gotten their applications in yet?

13. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

hey! i go to Humboldt state! it kicks ass. i love it here. the campus is BEAUTIFUL and the profs are really awesome. especially the science ones.
    im a wildlife major/natural resources minor and its definitely the place to be if you love the outdoors and are laid back.
    it also was rated like.. #14 in the top 40 "outdoor colleges" (as in most beautiful places to live if you like the outdoors)

yay humboldt! the people here are great, too. and LOTS of good herb.. obviously, haha.. [​IMG]

14. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I had a friend who went there and it was one hell of a fun campus to visit. It's an older school so it's not as nice as most of the universities in california (I go to csusm which is the newest one and it's a gorgeous campus with phenominal architecture) but the people make up for it everyone is very nice there. The whole town is either students or people who have dropped out and there's a lot of people who just kinda live in the woods a lot of rastafarian homeless people with dogs it's a trip.

15. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Well, I got accepted into humboldt, so I probebly will go there.

16. ImmortalDissident

Yeah, to me, one of the most important things in choosing a college was the atmosphere. I need a school that accepts and encourages thinking "out of the box" and somewhere that I can sit in the middle of the town and not get looked at like I'm waiting for a guy to hand me $40 to leave with him. I also like the woods, and the beach... so it works perfectly. I'm in Seattle now, so the rain won't bother me. I just hope I get accepted... they made me submit my high school grades even though I graduated in 2004, but have been in college full time since 2002. Bleh, we'll see... but I'm excited.

17. jay

jay Member

Yeh i was doing the App and hit a hard spot because i dotn rember my Hs grades, I called the school over the phone and they wouldent give them to me because they could not" varify my true identity" and well its a long walk back to that town... :\
    So ive kinda stopped @ page 5 or so of the application :( and i duno if its to late to evey bother now.. Kinda depressing

18. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Don't all universities ask you for your HS transcripts?

19. ImmortalDissident

It depends how old you are and how far you've gotten in your schooling. For me, I'm 9 credits short of NOT having to sumbit my high school grades.

20. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

arcata is real nice. too many junkies though. too many snobby hippies too. hard to fit in there, for me at least.