Anyway To Remove Cooking Oil Stains From Pima Cotton?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by I'll Be Waiting, Apr 17, 2015.

1. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

I got an cooking oil spatter on a navy cotton henley of mine a few months ago. Looks terrible. The dry cleaners told me that because of the material its made of(as stated on the label), that it can't be dry cleaned. I was tempted to chance away and dry-clean it anyway, but I said wouldn't. Surely there must be something else I can do. I heard someone say WD40 would work but I don't know! Although it has been quite a few months now..

Any help would be great

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

dont use wd-40 because it has heavy oils that wont evaportate and make things worse. what you want is a solvent that will dissolve the oil and the. evaporate cleanly.

you could try soaking the entire thing in toluene or naptha. you could try soaking it in degreaser also ... you might need to do both if its really bad, not sure the order matters but ive gotten oul out of clothes using the toluene thing before and it worked pretty well.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

If it hasn't been through a dryer, soak overnight in Tide. Buy a small box at a laundromat if you don't typically use it.
    Other option is Dawn dish detergent.

Both work on jojoba, coconut and massage oils on sheets.
    (Pity both make be break out, so I can't use them. But they work a treat.)