Anyone use encrypted emails?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Ged, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Anyone use encrypted emails? If so what do use? I could do with some advice.

Thanks.

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Try Proton or Tutanota.

Are you asking if you should use encrypted mail? Google publicly admitted they are reading emails. So is the NSA, with help from more than one software company.

So you tell me.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yes I want to use encrypted emails. I have some sensitive information, and I believe some of my internet activity is being spied upon. Obviously the person I am emailing would have to be using an encrypted email too, but we could set that up.

4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

The fact that you're posting here probably guarantees FBI cameras coming outta your ass :D

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Just using encryption will get the NSA interested....

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

i dont even use emails.

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Carrier pigeons?

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

carrier squirrels.

Ive no use for emails, Ive a email account that just collects spam or confirmations to sites, password resets. But personally dont really send anything on them.
    at work Ive an email but Its more a no respond work related stuff, 99% spam too ..

9. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

You can always attach encrypted RAR files to any email service. I used to do that years ago when I sold sensitive data. The recipient needs to know the password through some other communication. This is also handy if the data can only be used a certain time, "call me Sunday night for the password".

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hotmail. Com

11. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

A couple of the best basic ones are protonmail.com and riseup.net

wooleeheron likes this.
  12. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

13. bor3dnudist

bor3dnudist Member

I've thought about using Encrypted e-mail services but they are generally overpriced and mailboxes are too small so I just simply haven't

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Few emails are hacked during transmission, the main issue is with the database being hacked. You can resolve 99% of the problem by deleting your email the moment that it is sent. However it is pointless if the receiving party does not do the same.

Always checking that the company you use has an https transmission system (which is automatically encrypted during transmission) is about the best that you can do when operating on a public network.

Companies who offer higher security will obviously have small mailboxes to reduce the value of their data to a hacker, but they do nothing to protect the security of the receiving party.

15. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

They're free...

16. virginiaboy

virginiaboy Member

I use Virtu encrypted end to end and easy to use

17. lode

lode Banned

So encrypted email can be a bit of a misnomer.

Gmail is encrypted end-to-end in the same way that Proton mail is. Google will be much more likely to acquiesce to surveillance requests made by the government, and they use automation to scan your mails and build marketing profiles for you. By the second end, both services mean the point where your email leaves their intranet. After that it will be standard SMTP traffic, hopefully but not necessarily over TLS. They use opportunistic encryption over the internet, which means like it sounds, they will use TLS if they can.

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/what-is-encrypted

Opportunistic encryption - Wikipedia

True end to end encryption requires the sender and recipient to be in possession of a private key. You can do this in Thunderbird. I googled Virtu Encrypted that VirginiaBoy recommended, and it appears to use PGP as well. It also appears to be a paid service. But it works out of the box with Gmail.

18. raysun

raysun D4N73_666 4861786f72

a buddy of mine uses riseup.net i am thinking about switching too

19. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Only use it at work and only if we are sending private / personal information.

20. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Protonmail is what I use, and I'm much happier with it because the idiots were constantly breaking into my account trying to steal my work, even though it is all public domain. Forget about the NSA, its the French, Chinese, and everybody's half brother in the Mafia! They will sell and steal data from anyone. Your life story may only be worth a nickel to them, but a few hundred million are worth your mortgage. The US keeps low encryption standards, because saving idiots from themselves isn't worth anyone's time. You get the justice you can afford, and must negotiate for any actual privacy.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019